+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrid water heater

Post Likes

Hybrid water heater

What's your feelings on a hydrid water heater? I'm doing the mechanicals for my brother on his home remodel and he asked about the Rheem hybrid water heater. I understand how the work but haven't worked on one yet. It seems overly complicated just to get hot water. I told him I would just install an indirect tank with the new boiler.

Post Likes
    If you're in WI, then it's only going to operate as a heat pump for maybe 1/2 the year. The other 1/2 it's just gonna be a standard electric water heater. As far as I know, they have the shortest lifetime, and with all of the electronics it's going to need a lot of maintenance/repairs ... kinda like when power vents came out, or when tankless units came out. I think if someone has a boiler, then indirect is always the way to go.

Post Likes
    I agree. I was wondering how well it would work in a cooler basement in the winter time. I would imagine that it will make the space alittle cool when the heat pump is running.

Post Likes
    ....and they are sloooow to recover. And are just basically a "window shaker" on top of an electric water heater.

He will be a much happier relative with the indirect.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in