Thread: Welcome to the 20th Century!

Post Likes

Welcome to the 20th Century!

Hello all,
    Not many posts on my part, but I'm curious. Does anyone make control circuitry for Residential systems that doesn't wreak of 1970s design? I spent my morning diagnosing a bad control board on my Lennox Signature (TOP OF THE LINE BABY) compressor, and am appalled by how ancient the components are. Disclaimer, I'm an electrical engineer, but don't usually mess with small-voltage stuff. The control board can't maintain a 5V signal for the discharge temp sensor, which is frustrating considering it's only a few years old. But, while I'm bummed about the early failure, I'm more blown away by the lack of any advancements to the technology. It's the same old stuff from 30 years ago, just with higher failure rates.
    Is anyone out there innovating?
    - Curious Vic

Post Likes
    So how much extra do you want to spend for all the fancy stuff?

Post Likes
    Many consumers are demanding the absolute cheapest equipment possible. Everyone seems to have a Walmart mentality.
    A lot of installers can’t even make sense of what we have now. Let alone something more complicated.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Very fair points on cost being king...and I can see the Residential market not being worth the trouble. I guess it's the same reason that the first 11 hits on an Amazon search for gauges comes up with $20 beauties from China.
    Thanks for letting me vent

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in