Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I routinely see / hear people going on about what might be effectively summed up as 'OMG! This is the end!' grade talk.

I have friends who are all diligently preparing for . . . . Something. Hide-outs, bug-out bags, buried drums of food, others of weapons and ammo, etc. etc. Generators, ham equipment, portable antenna rigs, all kinds of stuff. 'Ready To Go'.

Predictions are always tough to make - especially in regard to the future, but I console myself by remembering that I Do have a fair amount of the past on which to base a likely projection.

My grandfathers were great *****ers about the horrors they felt were imminent. And my father could hold up his end of any such discussion. And for all of my life I have heard people around me calling for doom, gloom, and various Armageddon grade processes befalling us.

But I reflect on the idea that nothing like that happened to my grandfathers.

And further that nothing like that ever happened on my father's watch either.

And also, so far at least, nothing like that has happened during my tour here.

So, all available evidence considered - I am thinking that nothing truly devastating, or even all that bad, will happen to me either.

What do you all think?

Well I wasn't scared before but I am now!!!

To be honest I am sure something will happen, sometime, somewhere, and I may or may not be alive at the time, but I am certain it will happen. Pompeii was pretty devastated when the volcano erupted, it affected a few other regions close but that's about it. It hasn't been much of a problem since. They say Yellowstone could pop any day/month/year and if it does we are doomed. it happened before but not since. There are assturdoids that could hit with dire effects and the odds are pretty good that it will or won't hit close enough to be a problem here.

So for me I am in a constant state of readiness. I am on a strict stretching regimen and should that one event happen I will just bend over and kiss my A$$ goodbye.

Post Likes
    I think apocalyptic events are all relative. The End of the World happens all the time. Someone mentioned Pompei. To those experiencing it it did seem like the end of the world and it was the end of their world. To someone across the world it may have been a slight tremor under their feet that they probably didn’t notice. I think it’s natural for people to worry about the end of “their” world or having things drastically change. But realistically no matter what happens to us the Earth will continue floating around the sun until one day it gets too close and it really is the end of the world.

Post Likes
    There is being prepared (flashlight, batteries, some water, Oreos, a little cash, emergency contacts etc) and then there is batshit crazy prepper stuff. The way I see it is if something so bad happens that you are resorting to eating dehydrated food and needing an arsenal to fend off bandits you may as well eat a bullet and save yourself some time. I think for a lot of the guys into disaster prepping it has gone well beyond being prepared and become a lifestyle and hobby where they can show off their newest water filters and brag about all the cans of deviled ham they have socked away. Besides you can't prepare for all disasters fire and flood and communist invasion and EMP are all going to require something different. Plan for something realistic like an earthquake or extended power outage that's fine but you can't plan for the end of the world that is just nuts.

4. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Oreos?

That your single food of choice to survive the end of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    There is being prepared (flashlight, batteries, some water, Oreos, a little cash, emergency contacts etc) and then there is batshit crazy prepper stuff. The way I see it is if something so bad happens that you are resorting to eating dehydrated food and needing an arsenal to fend off bandits you may as well eat a bullet and save yourself some time. I think for a lot of the guys into disaster prepping it has gone well beyond being prepared and become a lifestyle and hobby where they can show off their newest water filters and brag about all the cans of deviled ham they have socked away. Besides you can't prepare for all disasters fire and flood and communist invasion and EMP are all going to require something different. Plan for something realistic like an earthquake or extended power outage that's fine but you can't plan for the end of the world that is just nuts.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I know some preppers. And I've been to numerous meetings about all kinds preparedness, emergency communications, etc. etc. etc.

After a few times I noticed that almost none of the guys who were preparing for 'the end of civilization' or whatever was coming were not in particularly good shape. A Lot of them were overweight, had big guts hanging over their belt, and using various kinds of tobacco products. Later I learned that lots of them were on various kinds of medications, had high blood pressure, and so forth.

At the meetings they all gulped coffee and ate donuts and pastries and snack foods like potato chips.

Eventually I brought up the point that apparently none of them were stocking up on the single most valuable survival item they will need when whatever it is they are worrying about goes fubar. That thing is their health. None of them could run a mile and I had my doubts about some of them being able to walk it. I suggested that we go running or power walking, work on eating a healthy diet, serve fresh vegetables and fruits at the meetings. Hey; let's work on wildcrafting and wilderness survival skills.

No takers. Eventually I became very unpopular and eventually gave them up as incurable fantasy artists.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

7. Likes Achso017 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I know some preppers. And I've been to numerous meetings about all kinds preparedness, emergency communications, etc. etc. etc.

After a few times I noticed that almost none of the guys who were preparing for 'the end of civilization' or whatever was coming were not in particularly good shape. A Lot of them were overweight, had big guts hanging over their belt, and using various kinds of tobacco products. Later I learned that lots of them were on various kinds of medications, had high blood pressure, and so forth.

At the meetings they all gulped coffee and ate donuts and pastries and snack foods like potato chips.

Eventually I brought up the point that apparently none of them were stocking up on the single most valuable survival item they will need when whatever it is they are worrying about goes fubar. That thing is their health. None of them could run a mile and I had my doubts about some of them being able to walk it. I suggested that we go running or power walking, work on eating a healthy diet, serve fresh vegetables and fruits at the meetings. Hey; let's work on wildcrafting and wilderness survival skills.

No takers. Eventually I became very unpopular and eventually gave them up as incurable fantasy artists.
    As Zombieland taught us, one of the first rules to survive an apocalypse is cardio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would think a 12 gauge, full choke, and a couple thousand rounds of 00 buckshot, would be pretty high on the list. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    As Zombieland taught us, one of the first rules to survive an apocalypse is cardio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

11. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would think a 12 gauge, full choke, and a couple thousand rounds of 00 buckshot, would be pretty high on the list. <g>
    That's rule #2

13. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like you're just seeing people wrapped up in their hobby. We're ultimately pretty insignificant and meaningless beyond the meaning we individually find, or make, in things. It's natural for people to find things to care about, yeah?

I seem to be unable to post pictures, but this comic sums it up pretty well.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/AnnBa

Post Likes
    If you lived in Europe your grandfather might have told of a different story! The idea is to be ready for the unexpected.
    With all our food these days coming from everywhere except where you live, infrastructure is vital. Our infrastructure here in the USA
    isn't doing so well! Along with multi-national corporations owning everything, as long as you are profitable you are good, if not.... . If or when
    something bad happens, whose door are you going to be banging on!

Post Likes
    I've seen a show I think it was on the Travel channel of a underground high end luxury bunker made from a old Military site. That is for the billionaire preppers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    https://youtu.be/cLy6AXjwQK8

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Two things that make me nervous; first is the massive debt of the government and the citizens themselves. Has gotten to the point of no return as in no ability to ever repay and get out from under. The other is the massive influx of Islamists. They will not as a general rule integrate, but rather, eventually take over and establish Sharia. One of both will be the death of this American experiment. The Constitutional Republic and the rule of (common) Law...

19. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast