Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Bosch Bova Heat pump "Adaptive capacity output"

Anyone know how this works? Hard finding any info on this. I have read that the adap intell needs turned off at the thermostat so they dont fight. Does the Bosch use outdoor air temp to adjust capacity. Just wanting some more info.
    Work sucks, lets go skydive

Post Likes
    The bosch doesn't use the outdoor air temp to adjust the capacity, it uses the suction line temp to adjust the compressor output. I installed one about in my home 4 weeks ago and so far it is working great. I have it setup with a variable speed gas furnace at 1000 cfm stage1 and 1540 stage2. house is 2500 sq/ft.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carlb23 View Post
    The bosch doesn't use the outdoor air temp to adjust the capacity, it uses the suction line temp to adjust the compressor output. I installed one about in my home 4 weeks ago and so far it is working great. I have it setup with a variable speed gas furnace at 1000 cfm stage1 and 1540 stage2. house is 2500 sq/ft.
    adaptive capacity output enable/disable what does this switch do?

on the bova it is dip switch 4-3 default is off

I guess i was asking if maybe it sees a hot day, maybe it will start at a higher hertz or ramp up quicker to get the coil to 37/47 faster?

Post Likes
    I have not changed any of the default settings on the heat pump. my understanding is that it will ramp up to the hz that it ran the last cycle at then modulate up and down from there as needed.

Yesterday was the first hot day that i have had the chance to see how well it works. It was 86 F outside and the indoor temp was set at 72. I have it setup as a two stage with variable speed 95% gas furnace. First stage runs at 1,000 cfm and i had a delta of 20 degrees at the evaporator the was pulling 7.5 amps at 242 volts and i aprox 2k. it never needed to go to second stage which is set at 1540 cfm.
    so far it appears to be running very well. I had the opportunity to check the sub cool and super heat yesterday and the subcool was 9 degrees and the superheat was 16 degrees well within design specs, so i am happy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    Anyone know how this works? Hard finding any info on this. I have read that the adap intell needs turned off at the thermostat so they dont fight. Does the Bosch use outdoor air temp to adjust capacity. Just wanting some more info.
    Reviving this older thread, as I just had a Bosch bova heat pump installed with trane S9v2 variable speed 96% furnace a couple days ago. I'm trying to get things dialed in.

When you said that you had heard the adaptive intell needs to be turned off at the thermostat, what does that mean? What "feature" or setting on the thermostat needs to be turned off? I have trane xl824 if that matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brothawes View Post
    Reviving this older thread, as I just had a Bosch bova heat pump installed with trane S9v2 variable speed 96% furnace a couple days ago. I'm trying to get things dialed in.

When you said that you had heard the adaptive intell needs to be turned off at the thermostat, what does that mean? What "feature" or setting on the thermostat needs to be turned off? I have trane xl824 if that matters.

Ill just take a stab in the dark here as Im not a Bosch expert nor a trane person. But on a Honeywell thermostat, the adaptive recovery is, in simplified terms, a timer for the unit to kick on. Basically, if you set you house to be 80 when you sleep and 75 when you wake up, the Honeywell stat will learn how long it takes to get from 80 to 75. So when you wake up it is at your desired setting. So if it learns it takes it 2 hours to drop the temp that much, it turns the unit on 2 hours before you wake up.

Thinking through it in my head, im not exactly sure why or how this would adversly effect the heatpump operation, but again, im not expert on the bosch system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Ill just take a stab in the dark here as Im not a Bosch expert nor a trane person. But on a Honeywell thermostat, the adaptive recovery is, in simplified terms, a timer for the unit to kick on. Basically, if you set you house to be 80 when you sleep and 75 when you wake up, the Honeywell stat will learn how long it takes to get from 80 to 75. So when you wake up it is at your desired setting. So if it learns it takes it 2 hours to drop the temp that much, it turns the unit on 2 hours before you wake up.

Thinking through it in my head, im not exactly sure why or how this would adversly effect the heatpump operation, but again, im not expert on the bosch system.
    Correct. The Bosch uses he last hour of runtime to figure out where it needs to run when it starts up from 25-125%. The thermostat is trying to predict something that has a mind of its own with various capacity It uses algorithms like the stat to try and predict when to run. Turn it off in the stat and set your cycle rate to a 1 for the condenser

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by carlb23 View Post
    I set mine up in mid april with almost the same settings. My home is 2492sq/ft my first stage is at 910cfm second stage 1460 cfm. has been working great. With outdoor temp yesterday at 95 degrees it runs on first stage at 910 cfm indoor temp 73 degrees delta 21 degrees amp drat 7.8amps. we dont have the temp change in house at night and i have never heard it go into 2nd stage.

Post Likes
    That info is only available on the board on the condenser, right? I guess I need to double check what my installer set the two stages at. I have checked the status of the system on my xl824 and have only seen the system at stage 1 and either at 70% or 100% airflow/blower.

Post Likes
    OK.

Can you detail how a stat logic / unit logic conflict could occur and create a negative result?

I'm rolling it around it my head but so far I can't see how there would be any negative effect with the stat's adaptive logic left in play.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    Correct. The Bosch uses he last hour of runtime to figure out where it needs to run when it starts up from 25-125%. The thermostat is trying to predict something that has a mind of its own with various capacity It uses algorithms like the stat to try and predict when to run. Turn it off in the stat and set your cycle rate to a 1 for the condenser
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    OK.

Can you detail how a stat logic / unit logic conflict could occur and create a negative result?

I'm rolling it around it my head but so far I can't see how there would be any negative effect with the stat's adaptive logic left in play.

PHM
    ----------
    It sounds like the only issue may be hitting target temp to early.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    OK.

PHM
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Cweldy View Post
    It sounds like the only issue may be hitting target temp to early.
    Yeah... was thinking on this myself...

Seems with adaptive intelligence on...
    The major thing is the system will reach set temp at the time you ask it to be there... rather than start heading that direction at the time you ask.
    Seems simple... turn off adaptive intelligence, and set the target time 1/2 hour earlier...
    System will get there on time...

Now the part about one cycle/hour... had not thought about that yet...
    With the system running more like an inverter unit than a single or 2 stage unit...
    Then yeah... one cycle/hour does kinda make sense.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah... was thinking on this myself...

Seems with adaptive intelligence on...
    The major thing is the system will reach set temp at the time you ask it to be there... rather than start heading that direction at the time you ask.
    Seems simple... turn off adaptive intelligence, and set the target time 1/2 hour earlier...
    System will get there on time...

Now the part about one cycle/hour... had not thought about that yet...
    With the system running more like an inverter unit than a single or 2 stage unit...
    Then yeah... one cycle/hour does kinda make sense.
    the Bosch runs from 25%-120% It only has a single Y call. Basically, the inverter compressor is staged off airflow. It basically sets the inverter speed off suction pressure to maintain a coil temp. The thermostat is predicting runtime and when to come on or off based on what it thinks it knows, but then the bosch changes the capacity. My furnace has a Y1 and Y2 call which further confuses Bosch. The Bosch capacity adjustment confuses the Honeywell. At least thats what i was told at a training and it made sense.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast