Post Likes

Hmm Outside AC Unit question

I have a TRANE XB 10 Model # 2TWB0030A1000AB, Serial# 32540AT4F that is a 2.5T Split System Heat Pump. The compressor went out on it, which was verified by an AC technician. He told me I needed to replace the entire system outside unit and inside unit. It uses R-22 REFRIGERANT. Asked about only replacing the compressor was told hard to find since this unit was manufactured on 06/2003. The new system he quoted me is $.

My question is: Can I just replace the outside unit as long as its from TRANE and is a 2.5T unit? I did find a compressor but after buying the part and installation I am at over $. Seems like I should be able to only replace the outside unit.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-19-2019 at 04:39 AM.

Post Likes
    He will likely be unable to find a whole r22 outdoor unit. I would think he would be able to find the compressor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Probably not the smartest idea to spend thousands on reparing a 16yr old unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Your contractor is full of it. Replacements are available but I wouldn’t recommend them.

Find a contractor you can trust

5. Likes kangaroogod liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Your contractor is full of it. Replacements are available but I wouldn’t recommend them.

Find a contractor you can trust
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    The new refrigerant is R-410a and operates at 50 - 75% higher pressures. Your unit is a 2003 model and may not be rated to operate at those high of pressures therefor a leak is very very highly likely. So yea you need a new indoor and outdoor unit that is a matched system to get the efficiency it was designed to deliver.