Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused How to add bacnet points in N4 though ProgramServices?

Hello all!

I was wondering if there are any N4 wizards out there that might know if it is possible to mass add bacnet points to existing point databases through the ProgramServices tool.

I have 40 plus devices I need to add 5 discoverable points to and the only way I know of accomplishing this as of right now is to pick one unit, discover the points I need, change the facets/hide the slots I don't need, then copy and paste them into each of the bacnet point folders for each of the units.

Not only is this process incredibly time consuming but the monotony of it inevitably will lead to mistakes along the way.

If anyone has some insight on this process that would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.rods2 View Post
    pick one unit, discover the points I need, change the facets/hide the slots I don't need, then copy and paste them into each of the bacnet point folders for each of the units.
    Done that on many occasions. Part of the job.

The thing is if there is a programmatic way to do it (it's a jace, I'm sure there is), how much time is wasted making that, debugging etc? Over just copy paste that is.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Cannot done without a program object, aka your own custom code.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    The thing is if there is a programmatic way to do it (it's a jace, I'm sure there is), how much time is wasted making that, debugging etc?
    Exactly. Better backup your station, your going to trash it a few times in the process. Unless its a lot of stuff / devices, its not worth it IMO.

Best practice is to make sure your covered before copying a device out. Add all the alarms, logs, logic and make damn sure you have everything for the frontend before moving forward.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Hello all!

I was wondering if there are any N4 wizards out there that might know if it is possible to mass add bacnet points to existing point databases through the ProgramServices tool.

I have 40 plus devices I need to add 5 discoverable points to and the only way I know of accomplishing this as of right now is to pick one unit, discover the points I need, change the facets/hide the slots I don't need, then copy and paste them into each of the bacnet point folders for each of the units.

Not only is this process incredibly time consuming but the monotony of it inevitably will lead to mistakes along the way.

Cheers!
    Like everyone said part of the job. I have done this many times. Get the 5 points you want perfectly setup with extensions. Double check, and yes back everything up. I have sat there many times thinking about how to speed up things. Usually I just go back to get it done, and move on. Doesn't seems like a terrible amount of work once you start the copy and past process should go fairly quick.

Post Likes
    I'm doing something similar now. There are lots of unitvents I have to change. I am going through the points folders to determine anything unique to that one. Once I get any unique bindings I delete all controllers and copy over my new one that I have all set up and address them (graphics are relatavized of course).

Post Likes
    I've also copied configured points to an existing folder like you said. I think I just had to highlight them and change something in the path like UV_6 instead of UV_5. A nuisance but you don't have to start all over.

Post Likes
    What about the old 'feature' where occasionally a copy & paste wigged out, and while everything looked ok the point just didn't work correctly?
    Has that been fixed now, or is it rare enough that you don't worry about it / never had it happen to you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FreezerGeezer View Post
    What about the old 'feature' where occasionally a copy & paste wigged out
    Pasted points that fault? Just save & restart the station.

Post Likes
    Useful tip Orion, thanks.
    I never did learn the whole story, but I heard the issue caused so much trouble on one of a friend's projects that their company put a ban on anyone copy pasting in Niagara. Apparently it was one of those known but undocumented issues at the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FreezerGeezer View Post
    their company put a ban on anyone copy pasting in Niagara.
    That is insane, I literally can't function without the left CTRL key. I've also been known to remove the left windows key as it gets in the way sometimes. I deliberately use it all the time as the computer makes less mistakes than I do.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Hello all!

Cheers!
    Why not do one device, make a template. Apply the template?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philzito View Post
    Why not do one device, make a template. Apply the template?
    Being it sounds like they have already setup a wad of devices, there are a host of reasons. If they didn't get initially created with templates, the only way your going to make use of them now is to shred everything that's done and start over.

PX pages are normally assigned to the device or somewhere under it, least for sane people. That's gone.
    Any existing history data in the DB, gone. Metadata setup to sort them out...gone.
    Any device specific settings, tags, links, alarms, etc...yep all gone.

Copy & paste 40ish times...maybe a 10min mind numbing exercise.

The template feature as initially released we reviewed as a group and didn't see too many compelling reasons to use it over other methods of copying pre-built devices and dropping them in a station. I know 4.6/4.7 they made many improvements, so its prob worth another look.

Figuring out program objects / robots to do this type of thing will be extremely handy as they can do just about anything and your not always cleaning up a mess you created where you can make some assumptions on how things where initially done.

Again...the key to saving time in Niagara is to make sure you have everything correct before you go hog wild and copy something out a bazillion times. After that, its various shades of pain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    That is insane, I literally can't function without the left CTRL key. I've also been known to remove the left windows key as it gets in the way sometimes. I deliberately use it all the time as the computer makes less mistakes than I do.
    Seems like it, but that was what I heard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast