Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Hospitals are now posting prices

Some of you may already know this but I find it interesting that not much has been reported about it. Built into the ACA was a provision that hospitals have to make prices available online for their services starting in 2019. The prices were pretty well hidden on the few hospitals I checked out & I found it easier to use google to find them than searching through the hospital site. They only posts prices for uninsured services & since it only includes what the hospital bills you have no idea about the doctors,anesthesia & other charges might be. They don't post the discounts to insurance companies & Medicare which would really show how the uninsured are getting ripped off, that is the ones trying to pay.
    This is just an FYI, I'm not trying to start another never ending debate on health care.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Thanks Gary

Sent from my LG Stylo -4

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Some of you may already know this but I find it interesting that not much has been reported about it. Built into the ACA was a provision that hospitals have to make prices available online for their services starting in 2019. The prices were pretty well hidden on the few hospitals I checked out & I found it easier to use google to find them than searching through the hospital site. They only posts prices for uninsured services & since it only includes what the hospital bills you have no idea about the doctors,anesthesia & other charges might be. They don't post the discounts to insurance companies & Medicare which would really show how the uninsured are getting ripped off, that is the ones trying to pay.
    This is just an FYI, I'm not trying to start another never ending debate on health care.
    Gary, I agree with most of your views on healthcare but I believe you are generally wrong about one thing. Cash patients pay the least and insurance "discounts" are a ruse. Nobody pays the 'retail' price that is shown on an Explanation of Benefits form. It is only there to make the insured person feel like he got a discount. Also, it is against most insurance company's agreement with the healthcare provider to charge anything other than their agreed upon, marked up prices. IOW, the insured cannot negotiate on price.

So go ahead and state your prices hospitals, it does not apply to the insured. This is another reason why The Surgery Center of Oklahoma does not accept insurance. They would have to charge their marked up prices.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    Gary, I agree with most of your views on healthcare but I believe you are generally wrong about one thing. Cash patients pay the least and insurance "discounts" are a ruse. Nobody pays the 'retail' price that is shown on an Explanation of Benefits form. It is only there to make the insured person feel like he got a discount. Also, it is against most insurance company's agreement with the healthcare provider to charge anything other than their agreed upon, marked up prices. IOW, the insured cannot negotiate on price.

So go ahead and state your prices hospitals, it does not apply to the insured. This is another reason why The Surgery Center of Oklahoma does not accept insurance. They would have to charge their marked up prices.
    Agreed. And it's a filthy scam.

It also allows hospitals to "write off" the marked up price when they don't get paid. They get a nice tax break as a "loss". The tax break they get on the "loss" probably is enough to make a profit or at least break even.

Oh, and a 20% discount on those prices for Medicare is still a rip off.

Seems to me, a consumer based free market would solve multiple problems listed above and in others threads. Just letting 30-50% of the population to move to an out of pocket, HSA, FSA, catastrophic coverage model would fix this mess for EVERYONE.

But why listen to a conservative when we have a stellar record of being correct.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post

Hospitals do make agreements with uninsured people but it doesn't always happen & a lot of people do pay that inflated price. There have been a few law suits against hospitals for that very issue of over charging that sticker price to uninsured patients. But its not just the hospitals, it's the whole medical industry, labs,pharmacies, doctors, physical therapy,tests such as scans & MRI's & anything else you can think of. They all can charge a lot more to uninsured cash patients than they do insurance companies. That doesn't mean that all of them do, but a lot if not most do. Try to go to Labcorp without insurance & you might pay ten times more for a simple blood test than if you're insured. I've been there & had it happen & I've also got stuck with some ridiculous doctor bills because they were out of my network when the hospital I went to was in my network. Talk about surprise bills & when try to argue with them you keep getting switched to someone else until you end up going in circles back to the person you started with. So you may be right that some times cash patients pay the least but that is not the case all the time.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    I got an easy solution.. just let the poor people die. Give them no treatment beyond there means. Im poor and perfectly fine with dieing when others may live from the same ailment. They put in they should get out. The length of a life is not relevant.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Let the rich people chase mortality. If you need some blood thinners it probably time to die. Change your diet or die. Screw this medication shit. If you have I have diabetes and they cut your leg off it time to die. Life was never an inalienable right.

Post Likes
    The world is not yours and it never was, the least you could do for your loved ones is just die like a man.

Post Likes
    I have a few more:
    When your house is on fire the firemen should check your tax return first before putting it out.

When you are mugged the EMT's should only give you service if you show proof of employment.

Only tax payers should be allowed to travel on our roads.

If we were invaded the highest tax paying cities should be defended first.

The takeaway: The republicans are ok with giving life sustaining services to everyone equally, but not with healthcare since they get their cadillac plans heavily marked down through their employers.

Post Likes
    More absurd nonsense above.

Here are some facts and reality vs nonsense theories and scare tactics.

-Who said no basic care to those that can't afford it? The poor use our streets and police AND they use our medical system. And they would continue to if a consumer based free market was implemented. The poor would still be cared for. What an obsurd statement.

-USA moving to single payer would dramatically slow innovation down to a crawl which will have the effect of millions upon millions around the world needlessly dying. 70% of all LIFE SAVING medical innovation comes from the USA. Say bye-bye to that.

-Continuation of schemes like what we have now puts health care costs out of the reach of millions in the lower middle class who can't afford Obamacare premiums and deductibles.

-Reoccurence of prostate cancer is 20% higher in Canada after 5 years than the USA.....as an example. There are more.

-a decent sized percentage of the population moving to a consumer free market system would lower prices across the board sharply for everyone. Making it much easier for society to care for the truly needy.

-Single payer would not be cheaper in the USA than what we have now.

-Single payer in the USA would introduce a new level of corruption, waste and abuse the likes of which can't imagine.

-Single payer in the USA would give progressives(on both sides) more ammunition to divide society and give them more power. Why would you ever hand these people this kind of gift? You are handing out heroine to drug addicts and dealers.

-Even Canada is smart enough to not try to run single payer nationally. The provinces run them individually. The largest province has the population of size of Georgia. America will run single payer out of Washington. This provides better oversight and control to the individual and also encourages friendly competition. Policies can be compared. What works stays in place. What doesn't work is reversed or modified.

-Free market doctor/patient relationships encourages doctors to provide charity to the needy. It's already happening. Altas MD and Surgery Center Of Oklahoma provide charity care and waives costs for many truly needy patients.

-Singlenpayer provides bare bones treatment and medications. 2/3 of Candians pay for suplimental plans(the ones who can afford it) at a cost of $300 a month(approx) and approx 20% of all healthcare costs are still out of pocket.

-Canada doesn't pay for medications. As an example, even with price controls many poor who cannot afford diabetes meds suffer and die. Medicaid, Medicare and state run programs provides insulin.

-Wait times in Canada are longer causing needless suffering.

Etc,

How about you guys stick to facts? vs. hyperbole, obsurdity, nonsense and the theoretical.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    More absurd nonsense above.

Here are some facts and reality vs nonsense theories and scare tactics.

-Who said no basic care to those that can't afford it? The poor use our streets and police AND they use our medical system. And they would continue to if a consumer based free market was implemented. The poor would still be cared for. What an obsurd statement.

-USA moving to single payer would dramatically slow innovation down to a crawl which will have the effect of millions upon millions around the world needlessly dying. 70% of all LIFE SAVING medical innovation comes from the USA. Say bye-bye to that.

-Continuation of schemes like what we have now puts health care costs out of the reach of millions in the lower middle class who can't afford Obamacare premiums and deductibles.

-Reoccurence of prostate cancer is 20% higher in Canada after 5 years than the USA.....as an example. There are more.

-a decent sized percentage of the population moving to a consumer free market system would lower prices across the board sharply for everyone. Making it much easier for society to care for the truly needy.

-Single payer would not be cheaper in the USA than what we have now.

-Single payer in the USA would introduce a new level of corruption, waste and abuse the likes of which can't imagine.

-Single payer in the USA would give progressives(on both sides) more ammunition to divide society and give them more power. Why would you ever hand these people this kind of gift? You are handing out heroine to drug addicts and dealers.

-Even Canada is smart enough to not try to run single payer nationally. The provinces run them individually. The largest province has the population of size of Georgia. America will run single payer out of Washington. This provides better oversight and control to the individual and also encourages friendly competition. Policies can be compared. What works stays in place. What doesn't work is reversed or modified.

-Free market doctor/patient relationships encourages doctors to provide charity to the needy. It's already happening. Altas MD and Surgery Center Of Oklahoma provide charity care and waives costs for many truly needy patients.

-Singlenpayer provides bare bones treatment and medications. 2/3 of Candians pay for suplimental plans(the ones who can afford it) at a cost of $300 a month(approx) and approx 20% of all healthcare costs are still out of pocket.

-Canada doesn't pay for medications. As an example, even with price controls many poor who cannot afford diabetes meds suffer and die. Medicaid, Medicare and state run programs provides insulin.

-Wait times in Canada are longer causing needless suffering.

Etc,

How about you guys stick to facts? vs. hyperbole, obsurdity, nonsense and the theoretical.
    Because your facts are not the only facts. The same with your perspective and bias.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    I got an easy solution.. just let the poor people die. Give them no treatment beyond there means. Im poor and perfectly fine with dieing when others may live from the same ailment. They put in they should get out. The length of a life is not relevant.,

I get what you are saying...

But good medical care can get you over some stuff that doesn’t need to kill you. My grandfather died at 39 from natural causes, and left my grandmother in a tough situation, three young kids. The length of life is revelant. Take care of yourself, so you can take care of your family.

I take blood pressure pills. It would be pretty dang stoopid to not take them, and have a stroke.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post

It's true. I went to the hospital today for a broken leg and they just gave me a cold cloth and an Advil.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast