Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Great info, thanks all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martzta View Post
    Should it be checked before a new install? The installers i'm considering both said they will check/verify after the new system is installed.
    So what happens when they have your check and it works but is very noisy? Taking airflow measurements in the rooms and checking your static pressure first will tell you how much money you will need to spend fixing ducting to not end up with a noisy furnace that breaks down frequently. Not many people here have seen a lot of homes that have correctly sized equipment or ductwork

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    So what happens when they have your check and it works but is very noisy? Taking airflow measurements in the rooms and checking your static pressure first will tell you how much money you will need to spend fixing ducting to not end up with a noisy furnace that breaks down frequently. Not many people here have seen a lot of homes that have correctly sized equipment or ductwork
    I'll start asking. Really the only noise I get now regardless of blower speed is from the return. That's because the unit is in the basement directly below the registers (one high and one low on the same wall. Very short run. Appreciate your input, thanks

Post Likes
    Many people find when they install an ECM equipped furnace/air handler, that it suddenly becomes noticeably louder. This is because their old PSC blower motor was unable to overcome the duct restrictions. Now you put in a ECM, and it will try to force the required airflow thru ducting that can't support it. There are many threads started all the time on here about brand X or Y or Z being noisy and contractors telling people it works fine. This is why the brand is almost pointless. It's going to be the install that determines the noise, efficiency, and longevity of the equipment

Post Likes
    I absolutely understand it's all about setup and airflow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12