+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help!!

Post Likes
    What phm said 100% legit. I can't say that I'm there yet as I just sent my contractor paperwork in so I can take my test but I have no money in the bank and just feel like my life is about to change. I have always followed the "make yourself uncomfortable" rules and am about to do it again with no money but I know it will all work out just fine by waking up uncomfortable each day.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    If you want to succeed,learn,and gain your coworkers respect find out who’s on call. If your schedule will allow explain to the on call guy to give you a holler on after hours call outs. I’m not telling you to work for free I’m simply implying you learn for free ( the closest to a free education most will get). Inform the guy and your boss if this turns into a two man job ( compressor change , water heater change etc ) you expect to be paid. You will gain respect and acquire phone pals guys that will help you out 30 yrs down the road like this site
    The fact your on this site shows you give a
    Good luck
    My neighbor 2 houses down has his own 1 man hvac businesses. I talked to him, he is gonna give me a call this weekend and take me out on some calls. Thats great advice.

Post Likes
    Update: I had a good day today. I tried to relax and focus on what i know, and just remembered that i can figure it out and if not, i can always call my dad for advice (30+yrs experience). Replaced a noisy condenser fan motor that locked up seconds after i arrived and found that the previous tech that was there to replace the capacitor had the fan hooked up to herm, and the compressor hooked up to fan. Found a refrigerant leak on a coupler on the suction side of the lineset and repaired vacuum and charged. Then had a preventative maint where i Found mouse nest in the a/c control panel. Power wires chewed up and tripped breaker, stat wires chewed in half, pressure switch wires chewed, fan and compressor wires chewed, and last but not least handle on disconnect was broken off from the blabes so you couldnt kill power to the unit. Replaced disconnect, new whip, repaired all wires, cleaned coil, checked subcool, working perfect again. Then a little crawl space flex run repair. I think i had an ok day now that i relaxed a bit. Thank you all for the positive encouragement.

4. Likes Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You gotta love those customers who call for a PM. Only to find out their units really broken.
    The one with the Herm and Fan leads switched. Did it have a hard start kit? Or did the compressor not even run. I wouldn't think it would otherwise. And if it did? Not for long. Unless your compressor only needed a 25mfd and your fan called for a 10mfd. Even then i'm not 100 percent it would start. But, anyways. Keep pushing on. Stuff gets easier as the years go by. But, physically harder as your body wears down.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Uncertainty? You feel uncertain? You are not sure of yourself you say? Good! In fact; Damned Good!

A good working life, like all Life in fact, to being truly worthwhile, has to rest on a firm foundation of uncertainty. Because otherwise you are doomed to a dull routine, a mere cruise through Life - and through your Work. You're just like a steer who walks the same mindless path every day to get to the watering hole.

This doesn’t apply to you right now - but I suggest it to people wanting to start their own business: if you want to start a business and have the financial means in place to accomplish it - abandon the idea until your fortunes change. Because only when there is no Plan B, only you Have to make it work, will you know what Life is all about.

They say: "I always wanted to start my own business but I can’t afford it.”

But the hard truth is that those who say this cannot afford Not to do it. They are swaddled in the cancerous-ness of security - in comfortable -ness. They worship it - and it quietly, dully, inexorably steals from them a Life which is already far too short.

Uncertainty is your friend. Overcoming what it presents will draw out the best in you. It will make you capable of things that you would not believe possible. If you ever find yourself working at a comfortable level - give it up and go elsewhere - to somewhere that you can find more uncertainty.
    I like that, hard to find better words than that. Though I will say routine and monotony does build knowledge and can be far from thinkless. The devil is often in the detail the roses must be smelt to be aware the details exist, a bovines accent to his drinking perch would improve by its 100th time. All the same i find myself craving a shake up, if it wasn’t negated by my hate for traffic and urge to avoid the major cities ide probably act on it.

The thing about the steers reminds me of a documentary I watched. The topic was the huge role that apex predators played on the eco system and one example was the removal/extermination of wolves at Yellowstone park. All the grazing animals would meticulously plot there path to the creek bed to drink, avoiding areas of dense cover to the sides so the wolves could not ambush them and also avoiding routes without a fast getaway.

After the wolves were gone the grazers would drink from any spot on the bank they pleased to the point that the vegetation was trampled and caused severe bank corrosion and landscape change. For the effect of this story we will ignore population increase as did the documentary but, none the less a sure foot can make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    You gotta love those customers who call for a PM. Only to find out their units really broken.
    The one with the Herm and Fan leads switched. Did it have a hard start kit? Or did the compressor not even run. I wouldn't think it would otherwise. And if it did? Not for long. Unless your compressor only needed a 25mfd and your fan called for a 10mfd. Even then i'm not 100 percent it would start. But, anyways. Keep pushing on. Stuff gets easier as the years go by. But, physically harder as your body wears down.
    It actually did run..... Well untill the fan went. Cant remember the mfd but it was a 20yo 2 ton carrier.

Post Likes
    Take it slow
    Take it easy

Whenever you get confused step back, look at it from a different angle

Read every piece of paper on every part.

Get your post count up and apply for pro status.

Post Likes
    My two biggest pieces of advice to become a great service technician is to learn the relationship between airflow and refrigerant flow (assuming you understand the refrigeration process). Also learn to read schematics even if it means taking picture on your smartphone and studying in the morning over coffee.
    Those funny symbols are a language.

Post Likes
    Uncertainty? You feel uncertain? You are not sure of yourself you say? Good! In fact; Damned Good!

A good working life, like all Life in fact, to being truly worthwhile, has to rest on a firm foundation of uncertainty. Because otherwise you are doomed to a dull routine, a mere cruise through Life - and through your Work. You're just like a steer who walks the same mindless path every day to get to the watering hole.

This doesn’t apply to you right now - but I suggest it to people wanting to start their own business: if you want to start a business and have the financial means in place to accomplish it - abandon the idea until your fortunes change. Because only when there is no Plan B, only you Have to make it work, will you know what Life is all about.

But the hard truth is that those who say this cannot afford Not to do it. They are swaddled in the cancerous-ness of security - in comfortable -ness. They worship it - and it quietly, dully, inexorably steals from them a Life which is already far too short.

Uncertainty is your friend. Overcoming what it presents will draw out the best in you. It will make you capable of things that you would not believe possible. If you ever find yourself working at a comfortable level - give it up and go elsewhere - to somewhere that you can find more uncertainty.
    <<< My "Modified Like Button"

Well said Poodle!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes

This should be a sticky for new techs
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in