Thread: Need new hot water heater - pros and cons for tankless, indirect or simply replace

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Need new hot water heater - pros and cons for tankless, indirect or simply replace

I am looking to replace my natural gas 50 gal hot water heater - I would like to go to a tankless system but plumber was very negative. He recommended an indirect system off my boiler which sounds interesting but is it worth the premium on the parts and install? I am expecting to sell the house in a few years should I just replace it with a modern version of what I had? Any recommendations?

Post Likes

Need new to water heater - pros/cons tankless, indirect or regular gas

I am looking to replace my natural gas 50 gal hot water heater - I would like to go to a tankless system but plumber was very negative. He recommended an indirect system off my boiler which sounds interesting but is it worth the premium on the parts and install? I am expecting to sell the house in a few years should I just replace it with a modern version of what I had? Any recommendations?

Post Likes
    How is your water quality? How long max, before you move?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    How is your water quality? How long max, before you move?
    The water quality is good. Probably 2-3 years max before I move.

Post Likes
    If you didn't have any problems with a standard tank, then just put in that and save the money for your new place. Unless buyers will expect the hot water to be tied in to the boiler, then keep your expenses down. Pull a permit if its required in your area so it doesnt cause any inspection hang ups

Post Likes

Thank you!

[thank you all for your input and recommendations!

Post Likes
    Indirect is nice. And recovery time of the tank is great. You couldn’t pay me to install tankless. That may just be me and the area I’m in. If your sure your going to be selling the house soon then just replace with what’s there. Depending on price and how new the boiler system is, it might make sense on an indirect tank. Really it should just be a tank, pump, possibly a pump relay and piping. If your existing tank sits close to the boiler then hot and cold water lines shouldn’t be an issue. If you have a high efficiency boiler you also gain the efficiency on your potable hot water now. I wouldn’t put an on demand in if you already have a boiler system. I’d either go like for like or indirect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have tankless, but no way I would pay someone else to install it.

I do like it though.

Post Likes
    The house I bought already had a tankless heater installed. I was always skeptical of them and had a negative view towards them because of what people say, but having owned one now for 10 years, I don’t want to go back to a tank. I’ll be replacing this with another tankless unit when it dies. The convenience it provides far outweighs any negatives that it has.

Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Thank you. I think I will save tankless for the next house. I don’t understand why but there seems to be such negativity around them I’m afraid it could hurt in a sale instead of help.

Post Likes
    If not installed and set up right they wont supply enugh hot water for high demand times.
    that said if installed and set up correctly they will supply endless hot water but that can run up the water bill if you like to stay in the shower longer:O)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    If not installed and set up right they wont supply enugh hot water for high demand times.
    that said if installed and set up correctly they will supply endless hot water but that can run up the water bill if you like to stay in the shower longer:O)
    To an extent it will. At least here in the north east. Mostly in the winter. 36-40f water temp in the winter. You tell me what that dose to your gpm. Not to mention the amount of energy it needs to flash heat water from 40f to 110-120f. Look at the temp curve/gpm chart for one when you have a minute. It “might” be ok for just a shower but if anyone else in the house tries to do anything else at that time it’s game over.

Me personally I run my tank at 130. I have a mixing valve set for 120. I have a 50gal power vent tank with the larger burner “42,000btu I believe” along with a recirculating loop I installed on a timer with all insulated lines. It runs non stop from 5pm-9pm plus around breakfast and lunch time. Hot water immediately “ranch house and kitchen is about 45’ away from tank” with zero complaints.

Post Likes
    I hate tankless units because of how fussy they can be it's just such an overly complicated way to heat water while a conventional tank you can install and then ignore until they rust out.

Post Likes
    Indirect off the boiler.. Simple and powerful... Probably cheaper than a big enough tankless to do you justice.

Ground water temp has been the limiting factor for most tankless installs, at least in MT! Winter, the water can be as cold as 35F.

Post Likes
    Merged threads to AOP.

Post Likes
    I have a tankless (of course i have the luxury of installing and servicing it myself) but i would not suggest one to a family member unless they had a specific need for one (high water usage such as a large jacuzzi tub, a very small usage such as a 1 bedroom seasonal cottage or if there is no space for one). There will be little energy savings in the grand scheme of things. Sure it may save you a hundred or 2 hundred bucks a year for a small family but that is lost in the additional maintenance that will likely be needed. Sometimes they cost you MORE to operate. With a standard tank, if mom, dad and several kids are in the home then showers are short so that everyone can have a hot shower. When it is endless people tend to take much larger showers and the gas meter is spinning at warp speed the whole time. If your worried about resale value, put the additiinalmoney you would spend on it into granite countertops or fancy floors. They sell homes not water heaters

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

17. Likes Metalman0880, Macadamia liked this post.
    Post Likes
    DEPENDS on ones use and the utility services available

____ CONVENTIONAL HWT 40 or 50 gallons
    with two 4500 Watt elements
    for my quite limited use.

12 year tank life versus ? _#_ year tankless life
    Maintenance $$$ for Tank versus tankless?

INSTALL COST:
    ______ $ 450 vs ~ $3,000 ?
    ____ Tank by me vs others for tankless

Natural Gas availability?
    I don't have Natural Gas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    I have been installing tankless for 30 years... they are very reliable, extremely efficient, and take up very little space.
    They do NOT lower your water bill, unless you are out of the house a lot.
    Best use is if they are set at 110F, and zero cold is used when showering , most issues people have with them boils down to trying to set them to tank temps, and throttling with cold at the faucet... bad plan.
    If ALL gas runs to heat, then you chill it down to comfortable temps, you are defeating the efficiency.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Tankless require a LOT of gas. Typically a 2 psi system. If you don't use a 2 psi system, you'll need a very large diameter, expensive gas line to serve that flame thrower. They can bottom out the house gas pressure causing standing pilots, such as on gas fireplaces to drop out.
    Tankless requires annual flushing. Sooner with poor water quality. Get a Field Controls Clearwave water conditioner upstream
    Tankless parts are not readily available at most supply houses. You could experience a significant down time if the board goes
    Tankless should not be installed by someone not familiar with them.
    If you screw up the venting you can die, just as recently in Ohio.
    If you need hot water for anything other than a shower, someone's getting cold

Indirect much safer
    Uses boiler so no expensive gas piping
    Still should be flushed annually and check anode rod but not as extensive or time consuming service and more tolerant of some calcification
    Anyone competent to install a boiler should be able to install an indirect
    No venting.
    Boilers typically can easily recover even during multiple users of hot water
    If the power goes out for a brief time you still have a tank full of hot water available

I haven't found too many people who feel the benefits of a tankless outweigh the negatives but that's just my experience. I rarely find them properly installed, unlike indirects, which are harder to screw up and don't kill you if installed wrong.

21. Likes Macadamia liked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in