Post Likes

Humidity increases when HVAC is run

Hi all. Its odd, but when my AC system (one of 3 units) runs, the humidity increases. Temp comes down fine, but its the humidity increases that puzzle me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    How are you measuring it?

Post Likes
    A boat load of water sitting in the pan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    How are you measuring it?
    Measured from a TH8321R1001 thermostat, as well as an AcuRite 01083 Indoor Thermometer & Hygrometer with Humidity Gauge. They are within 2% of each other in terms of humidity measurement, so I assume its accurate?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=lkapigian;25717359]A boat load of water sitting in the pan[/QUOTE

No water in the pan. Is there another place I should be looking?

Post Likes
    If your measuring at supply grills that would explain it!

Post Likes
    How about some real numbers? Temp/%RH in the space and at the supply?
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Sounds like the system is oversized and is dropping the temp without running long enough to dehumidify. As the temp drops the RH will go up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Are you saying that your uncomfortable, or that's just what the instruments say?

Post Likes
    Sure - the cooling coil temperature is not far enough below the dew point of the air. It decreases the the air temperature but the moisture volume in the air stays the same. So the Humidity - Relative to the temperature - increases.

Or; that's my first guess anyway. <g>

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post
    Hi all. Its odd, but when my AC system (one of 3 units) runs, the humidity increases. Temp comes down fine, but its the humidity increases that puzzle me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Rare to have an installer measure the static pressure of the duct system and set the blower accordingly. They just leave it on high for cooling where the factory puts it. So we see 5 ton drives (2000 CFM) on a 3 ton A/C (which needs no more than 1200 CFM) and a humid house.

No idea why it increases though. Unless it is moving way too much air. Or big duct leakage bringing in humid outside air.

Post Likes
    The moisture content stays the same, the air temperature decreases, so the Humidity Relative To The Air Temperature increases.

Could that be it?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Rare to have an installer measure the static pressure of the duct system and set the blower accordingly. They just leave it on high for cooling where the factory puts it. So we see 5 ton drives (2000 CFM) on a 3 ton A/C (which needs no more than 1200 CFM) and a humid house.

No idea why it increases though. Unless it is moving way too much air. Or big duct leakage bringing in humid outside air.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Have your airflow tested and adjusted for less sensible heat removal and more latent heat removal.