Thread: Replace HVAC

Post Likes

Replace HVAC

I live in California's cenral valley (Zone 12, summer temps are 100-110 F and very dry; winter is rarely below 32 and fairly dry) in a single-story 1,572 sqft, not well-insulated house. The installed (1989) 3-ton split A/C and furnace system (Payne) is working, but has problems. It is probably inefficient compared with new systems. My energy bills are $100 - $180 / month with the current system.

I'm looking for guidance on getting a new system. I have an offer for a new 3-ton Coleman system: A/C is LX series (TW4B3621S), coil (CM36BBCA1), and furnace (TGLS080B12M11). I think it is rated at 15 SEER.

Do I need 3 ton or might a 2.5 ton work better? A load calculation was not performed.

Would I benefit from a higher SEER system? Coleman also has the Ecehlon series, which is more efficient but (purportedly) more expensive than their LX system.

Also, is this the right forum to ask about installation offers (warranties, costs)?

Post Likes
    Without a load calc, no way to know what size you need. Only negative about the TW4 is the microchannel outdoor coil. Tend to leak more than plate fin coils.

Post Likes
    Increase the attic insulation if you can to say R-38 and I’d bet you could get by fine with a two ton which would still be cheaper to run than a higher efficiency 3 ton. You can try several free load calc programs online to give you a clue as to what you’ll need

Post Likes
    First off, I underestimated the insulation. For example, the windows are dual pane. The owner of an A/C company did a measurement of my home for a load calc. He said the attic duct work will need to be replaced ("adapt new furnace to existing duct work for air tight application"). Based on his preliminary analysis (not a detailed load calc), he estimated the house needs between a 2.5 and 3 ton system.

Also, I got quotes for a 3-ton Coleman LX split system as in my original post (microchannel coil, 14 SEER, 80% furnace, $ total) and a 3-ton Coleman Echelon system (tin-in-foil coil AC21B3621S, 19 SEER AC21B3621S, 97% furnace, $). Given the cost difference and my energy needs, I suspect that the LX series is more cost effective, perhaps with a more efficient furnace?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-25-2019 at 08:36 AM.