Post Likes

Question Scroll Compressor with Reciever and Pulling a Vacuum Question

Hey guys I came across a scroll where the expansion valve is leaking internally where the adjustment spindle would be. I'm gonna replace it and got some refrigerant left in the system where I pumped it down to the receiver. However I was pondering once I'm done with the repair and pull a vacuum wouldn't it pull refrigerant through the scroll internals? I'm assuming they're not fully sealed and refrigerant will leak through to the low side. I don't have a valve on the discharge or should the charge that is left in the system be recovered and pull on a vacuum on both sides of the system? Thanks for the input!

Post Likes
    Scrolls have a check valve

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply pecmsg. Yeah I'm not sure if I can trust a check valve to hold back my refrigerant while pulling a vacuum and also doing a nitro test. I'd have to push nitrogren through below ambient temperature of the refrigerant so that I don't push through the check valve. Seems risky to me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by E&E View Post
    Thanks for the reply pecmsg. Yeah I'm not sure if I can trust a check valve to hold back my refrigerant while pulling a vacuum and also doing a nitro test. I'd have to push nitrogren through below ambient temperature of the refrigerant so that I don't push through the check valve. Seems risky to me.
    I sweep N2 with refrigerant pressure on the other side of the valves. I don't pressure test!

R-404A @ 70 ° 150#'s
    R-410A @ 70 ° 201#'s

Whats the problem?

Post Likes
    I found the TXV with the adjustment stem screwed all the way in.
    Before messing with it I had pressures swinging from 25 psi to around 40 and back down to 25 like as if the valve was constantly on the hunt. We're talking R22 pressures and I would've liked to see somewhere around 60-65 to cool my water down to 65 degrees or a few degrees lower if need be depending on the clients needs.

I back palmed the discharge and said this guy is burning! You'll get burnt regardless but I put a temp probe to the discharge and found a discharge temp of 221 degrees.

This is where I decided to mess with the valve, I opened the stem cap, got a little burp of refrigerant come out nothing excessively crazy but found the stem screwed all the way in. I started to back it out and I got blasted with refrigerant.

That's where my question comes from if I can work on my expansion valve with the refrigerant in the receiver without worrying that it will bleed through the compressor suction side of the scroll compressor while pulling a vacuum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Well its leaking and by now probably flat so no need to pump down!

Post Likes
    I was able to shoot a video before putting the cap back on lol I pumped down what remained in the system and will do the repair once I get my hands on a new valve

Post Likes
    Wow, haven't seen that before.

Good to know that could happen, thanks for sharing.