Post Likes

pigtail 3 #12 wire then single #12 wire go to 15 amp breaker legal

selling my house,and buyer have a inspector said the two wire connect to single 15 amp breaker,the electricain come by and said it is legal pigtail that two wire and run single wire to breaker,correct?

Post Likes
    nobody know?

Post Likes
    Electrical devices must be installed according to the manufacturers' instructions and ratings.

I suspect that this particular circuit breaker is not allowed to have two wires terminated under a single screw.

That said, with a pigtail the panel is now junction box. Unless the panel is rated for use as a junction box, the inspector may have some heartburn with this.

Locally I have had them pass the wire nuts in the panel board.

It is up to the local inspector.

Post Likes
    My solution , if space is available , add another circuit breaker for the second wire . Determine if either is sharing a neutral & put the new CB on the correct phase .

God bless
    Wyr

Post Likes
    If space isn't available replace breaker with 2 compact (or tandem style) breakers or use a pigtail which is legal as far as I can tell
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
    My solution , if space is available , add another circuit breaker for the second wire . Determine if either is sharing a neutral & put the new CB on the correct phase .

God bless
    Wyr

Post Likes
    There is no need to add a second breaker.

Home inspectors are idiots who don't even know why 2 wires may or may not be allowed on a breaker.

First thing you do is see if the breaker is rated for 2 wires. If it is, leave it alone.

If it's not, then put a tail on the breaker and splice that tail to the two wires with a wirenut. Don't waste money or space on a second breaker or tandem breaker.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clogic View Post
    I suspect that this particular circuit breaker is not allowed to have two wires terminated under a single screw.
    Are there any breakers that are allowed to have two wires terminated under a single screw?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Are there any breakers that are allowed to have two wires terminated under a single screw?
    I always see multiple wires terminated under a single screw by manufacturers. Rheem, Goodman, and Lennox air handlers to be specific.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    yes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I always see multiple wires terminated under a single screw by manufacturers. Rheem, Goodman, and Lennox air handlers to be specific.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    and many refrigeration condensing units.

Post Likes
    some Square d breakers are rated two wires- supposedly it is printed on the manuf sticker on the breaker. Had to do the wire splice thing on one panel awhile back for home inspection.

You can do a search on subect and some of the HI sites will come up w/the same discussion
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pony View Post
    selling my house,and buyer have a inspector said the two wire connect to single 15 amp breaker,the electricain come by and said it is legal pigtail that two wire and run single wire to breaker,correct?
    Just fine, there are those who think the Urban Legend Code prohibits splicing in a panel gutter space, the NEC does not prohibit it.