Post Likes

Moving Air ducts from ceiling to wall

Greetings, I live in Ohio within a 2400 sqft ranch on a slab foundation. The furnace and central air ducts run in the attic and the vent registers are located in the middle of the ceiling in each room. Due to using the unit mostly for heating. Is it more efficient for heating to move the ceiling registers to a lower spot as heat rises (PLAN: move each register from the ceiling to a lower spot on the wall.) Thanks everyone!

Post Likes
    Doubt the roi would be there. Are ceiling fans an option?
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Great question, currently there is not any central ceiling fans. The ceiling registers are in the center of each room.

When heat blows out of the vent, would it technically take more energy to reach the lower floor?

Post Likes
    Thanks again!

Post Likes
    The design purpose of a grill is to entrain room air and deliver the mix. The grill/diffuser needs enough velocity to make that happen. The idea is usually to have the grill/diffuser
    air not be noticeable beyond a gentle breeze.
    If hot air is hugging the ceiling, the velocity is too low. Think of grills/diffusers as not just delivery devices but also mixing devices. The design of different grills also includes picking one that fits the room. There are terms that are more for designers like the plume, throw etc.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    The design purpose of a grill is to entrain room air and deliver the mix. The grill/diffuser needs enough velocity to make that happen. The idea is usually to have the grill/diffuser
    air not be noticeable beyond a gentle breeze.
    If hot air is hugging the ceiling, the velocity is too low. Think of grills/diffusers as not just delivery devices but also mixing devices. The design of different grills also includes picking one that fits the room. There are terms that are more for designers like the plume, throw etc.
    Understood and thanks for the reply. For heating, is it more prefer to move the supply ducts closer to the floor? The home is cool during the summer so its mainly used for heating. Currently, the until pushes enough heat but due to being a heat pump system and to lower cost of running the machine, I was under the impression that lower supply ducts will help with heating cost.

Post Likes
    Just my opinion: Besides adding toe comment the others have already offered; Moving the supply to the floor or walls will "not" offer a more comfortable room and a more cost effective operation. Adding a means to maintain the Realative Humidy will be a big plus in making the room(s) more comfortable. Just having a small fan circulate air will make a big difference in comfort

Post Likes
    Probably should have asked what your issues are. Kind of like first the verdict then the trial.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49