Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I would call that a Venturi effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The same effect. very related. Like a carburetor or that air powered cool/heat suit. The vortex something or other. I usually think of a venturi as a device and vena contracta as an effect. Often something not planned or sometimes intentional like in a diffuser design.
    The name just means a vane ( or jet) contracting on itself.
    A lot of staitc measurements go south because this effect is common. Common in resi ducts when extended plenums are used. No mechanical way to raise pressure after takeoffs and velocity takeoffs on the end of the duct.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    One reason static pressure measurements in an HVAC system are unreliable is the air is not static. The measured pressures are dynamic and Pascal's law does not apply. Pascal's law that states the pressure is the same in all directions is only true for fluids (air) at rest. In a system where the air is pressurized but is not moving the air molecules bang into each other and fill the entire space until all pressures are the same. That happens almost instantaneously. In a duct since air is compressible the molecules don't reach steady state position because they are moving down the duct and their position changes with the effects of duct friction, elbows and etc. and the air is being compressed and decompresses constantly.
    More later.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

3. Likes GoCougs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Because your readings are not purely static pressure - there will be also velocity pressure due to turbulence and/or incorrect use of instrument.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234