Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 61

Thread: Moldy cheese -

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,231
    Post Likes

    Moldy cheese -

    Recently I came in and thought: maybe I'll see what's in the frig. It kind of sad in there because I haven't been serious shopping.

    I found a number of things that I shouldn't have but I also found a big chuck of a nice blue cheese. When I opened the tubberware I found that it was all covered over with greenish mold. So I found a filet knife and sliced that all off. Then I ate the remaining blue cheese. It's yummy and plus; it's cheap at Sams Club.

    But my question is: Am I stupid? After all - it IS Blue Cheese Cheese . . . . and Blue Cheese is 'blue' BECAUSE IT'S MOLDY! And not just a little - it's through and through moldy. <g>

    I am somehow dying to eat the yummy mold that Comes IN the cheese - but then I carefully removed all the surface mold? So? Was it silly to slice all the 'other' mold off? <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    775
    Post Likes
    That's what I would do. Cut the mold off and eat it. I could live off of cheese and crackers love a 10yr cheddar.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sea to Sky
    Posts
    3,104
    Post Likes
    I have done that more times than I can count and I am still alive.....not going to waste an expensive block of cheese just because it grew a little extra penicillin on the outside.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,428
    Post Likes
    I have some really good reading material on Cheese and Cheese Caves. That blue mold in Blue Cheese is a "special kinda mold" it is edible and it is gentle on the AH, but,that surface mold is nasty and damages the AH and the throat if your guts want to come up & out that way. It is recommended to cut off that surface mold that maybe extend 1/2" into the cheese.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    Post Likes
    I used to cut off the mold all the time, now, with a 2 year old who loves cheese, it rarely sits in the fridge long enough to get moldy.. that Bering said, I never got sick from eating “previously moldy cheese”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,782
    Post Likes
    My great grand father use to eat blue/green bread all the time. He lived a long life and would have lived longer im sure had he not taken a fall and busted a his hip.

    Some blue green stuff is good and some is bad. Its alot lot like mushrooms, unless your a betten man you better know which ones you are eating..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,850
    Post Likes
    Ive eaten green bread ..

    Then after noticing a green piece almost hurled

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    5,428
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Ive eaten green bread ..

    Then after noticing a green piece almost hurled
    LOL!! But your butt was protected,right!!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil, EC
    Posts
    13,912
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I have some really good reading material on Cheese and Cheese Caves. That blue mold in Blue Cheese is a "special kinda mold" it is edible and it is gentle on the AH, but,that surface mold is nasty and damages the AH and the throat if your guts want to come up & out that way. It is recommended to cut off that surface mold that maybe extend 1/2" into the cheese.
    That's how I have handled it for years. The "new" mold is not the same as what makes the cheese and should be cut off.

    It reminds me of the story my mother told of my great grandfather, a crusty old sole, who always kept a side of beef hanging in the barn. He would scrape off the mold, cut a big slice, cook it up and enjoy it with some of his hard cider from his own trees...and he smoked most all his life of 93 years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    22,679
    Post Likes
    Been with my woman now for well over 20 years. One time long ago I went looking for the cheese in the fridge. I knew it was there, just couldn't find it. Asked my sweetie what she did with it. She said she tossed it because it was moldy. I said WHAT?

    Told her DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN. Told her that cheese was just starting to get some real flavor. She thought I was joking. I said NO. I am NOT joking. Don't EVER do that again!!

    And she has since never thrown away moldy cheese. She learned well.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8,899
    Post Likes
    I'm too cheap to throw cheese away. There are probably more types of mold than animals.
    I cut it off but only because if looks funky. I used to give the cutoffs to my dog but after reading Techman Terry's account I won't do that. Dog will be sad.
    I watched mozzarella being made on TV. I looks extremely easy. I might try that. Not as interesting as some aged cheese but it is cheese.
    Limburger was popular once but hard to find now.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,955
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I'm too cheap to throw cheese away. There are probably more types of mold than animals.
    I cut it off but only because if looks funky. I used to give the cutoffs to my dog but after reading Techman Terry's account I won't do that. Dog will be sad.
    I watched mozzarella being made on TV. I looks extremely easy. I might try that. Not as interesting as some aged cheese but it is cheese.
    Limburger was popular once but hard to find now.
    Cold smoked mozarella is awesome on home made pizza!
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    NW Louisiana aka Hell Pit of Louisiana
    Posts
    170
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Recently I came in and thought: maybe I'll see what's in the frig. It kind of sad in there because I haven't been serious shopping.

    I found a number of things that I shouldn't have but I also found a big chuck of a nice blue cheese. When I opened the tubberware I found that it was all covered over with greenish mold. So I found a filet knife and sliced that all off. Then I ate the remaining blue cheese. It's yummy and plus; it's cheap at Sams Club.

    But my question is: Am I stupid? After all - it IS Blue Cheese Cheese . . . . and Blue Cheese is 'blue' BECAUSE IT'S MOLDY! And not just a little - it's through and through moldy. <g>

    I am somehow dying to eat the yummy mold that Comes IN the cheese - but then I carefully removed all the surface mold? So? Was it silly to slice all the 'other' mold off? <g>
    You know, I was just on a roof top today thinking about cheese and the fact that it is moldy, does that really make a difference? My better half recently threw away about a half block of cracker barrel because the end had a spot of mold on it, oh it was the extra sharp chedder, so I had to go out and buy another expensive block, which I opened last night and I have been thinking about that half a block since it took its trip to never never land to never return. So, PHM, should I had made her go buy me a new block and accept what she shows up with? I already know the answer, Nope! When it comes to a man and his favorite cheese, there is no substitute!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •