Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solar

Post Likes
    Are you kidding me, 240 watts. You better wake up and get some led lights, here is a shop light, got something similar, I leave it on, don't pull nothing to speak of.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-Ft-L...id=455,377,065

Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Are you kidding me, 240 watts. You better wake up and get some led lights, here is a shop light, got something similar, I leave it on, don't pull nothing to speak of.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-Ft-L...id=455,377,065

Roy
    26 soffit lights, total under 2 amps, all LED's. 2A x 120V 240 watts

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I have looked into solar to run my outside lights, 240 watts . If I am doing the math right for an 8 hour night it costs me about a quarter at $0.10/ kwh. so that comes out to $7.5/ month or $90/yr. I won't live long enough to pay off a $5-$10k solar system. I do have plans for solar hot water but need to find the right equipment, thought about designing my own. I think I have a good thought for a design, just need to find the components to make a prototype.
    Me too, never got it built. Idea was use a gas water heater [flue up the middle] and strip it down to the iron shell. Simply put it in a box with a plexiglass cover and aim it at the best sun angle. You know how hot cars get setting out in the sun. Paint the interior flat-black.

Never planned on using it solely, just as a 'pre-heater' for existing heater. No need to heat 60 degree water from the ground. Water heater would probably never run in the summer. Bypass valves to shut off and drain it in the winter.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

“They can’t do anything about it unless they start shooting people, and presumably they won’t do that.” Protester & confirmed idiot.

"I am not here to rescue you, I am bringing you along for emergency rations" Quark.

"This is me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone." Sherl Crow

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Ok let me explain what I know about this subject. The lithium batteries use very little lithium, and at this point there is no shortage, if ever. Also down the line they will find other chemistries for batteries. they are working on it.

You mentioned affordability, so let me inform you that an electric car is cheaper to run then a gas vehicle. We, the USA, are a bit behind in charging stations, but its getting there, they are finally waking up. Tesla has got stations all over, you would not have a problem finding one if you traveled long distances. And the charging is free, its included when you purchase a Tesla. Otherwise one would charge at your home.

As to solar, it is a very affordable subject money wise, but the electric companies want to stay in business, so they are attempting to claim, one needs to hook the solar up to them, problem is, when their electric goes down, the solar system stops also, makes no sense. But many are waking up, and find that one can have electric without loosing it when the electric grid goes down.

My advice is, set the system up properly to your needs, including lithium type batteries, and then hook the electric system to only charge the batteries, if some odd ball need comes up. Just so you know, the appliances down the line will inform the electric companies of your usage of such appliances, and will attempt when you can use them, not right at the moment, but will happen in the future, if we live that long without a nuclear war.

Your only stuck with petroleum, cause they want you to be stuck. And I'm sorry to say that the general public believes it so, its called propaganda, after all the German believed Hitler's crap. I shouldn't have to tell you how that worked out.

The info is out there, the truth is not hard to find. Here is just one of many that will give you proper info..

https://www.youtube.com/user/crazycrutch/videos

http://evtv.me/

Roy
    At one time Tesla gave free chargeing to all cars sold... Not the case anymore.
    With the price of gas as it is now.. electric really offers no savings anyway.

Sent from my LG Stylo -4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123