Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 30

Thread: Solar

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,379
    Post Likes

    Solar

    Just to change the narrative a bit in here to something with a better endeavour, here is some info to inform about cost savings to the use of electricity and transportation.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxmqoMdFB8I

    Enjoy

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Prata di Pordenone
    Posts
    7,545
    Post Likes
    I’m all for solar ,wind and other types of renewables. I just don’t think it should be shoved down on me because some left wing socialists thinks it’s good for me.
    Go Trump

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,379
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I’m all for solar ,wind and other types of renewables. I just don’t think it should be shoved down on me because some left wing socialists thinks it’s good for me.
    Lol, its good for your pocket book, the reason its not more popular here, is because our country is being controlled by big oil.

    I tested lithium Iron batteries very early, I think somewhere in 2005 by testing A123 18650's. I checked the voltage and let them sit for 2 years, they didn't loose any voltage. That convinced me that this was the answer to electric vehicles and other things. Pretty obvious today, all you have to do is check the tools many of us use now.

    I purchased a small truck called Zap, removed the heavy sealed led acid batteries and installed 30 100 amp Lithium Iron batteries. It was unbelievable driving with this electric vehicle. It would beat any gas vehicle per speed and cost. The 100 amp hour batteries were unreal and reliable, as long as they were set up correctly.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJuCcKzEP0

    Since then electric vehicles are getting better and better with the help of Elon Musk, his vehicles can not be beat by anything so far.

    Here is some good info on the progress of electric vehicles and the power of Lithium.

    http://evtv.me/

    https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

    But anyhow, this is where its going, some years down the road, gas vehicles will be obsolete.

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,193
    Post Likes
    I would have gone with a ground mount system, if they could have been upfront and truthful with me. They tried to tell me it was Six Cents a Kilowatt cheaper, when I proved to them it was only a penny, they tried some film-flam math. Also they told me they'd use a certain Newer design higher efficiency panel. The contract was for an older designed panel, with lower efficiency, and the contract said roof mount, not ground mount.
    Retired, after 43 Years

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,378
    Post Likes
    Photovoltaic is still not economically viable in most cases. It's getting closer all the time, but still extremely expensive for the relatively small amount of power it produces. Once it gets to where it makes more sense from an economic point of view, the market will blow wide open. We might see that happen in the near future.

    Wind power has largely proven a bust. It can be very damaging to the eco system.

    Batteries...well, lithium is probably the best we have, but it's still not good enough. Though there have been some small improvements, the problem is still the same as it has been...lack of range and slow recharge. And sadly, most scientists say there is absolutely no breakthroughs on the horizon. Until there is, rechargeable electric vehicles won't be able to replace the internal combustion engine in mainstream vehicles.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    6,379
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Special-K View Post
    Photovoltaic is still not economically viable in most cases. It's getting closer all the time, but still extremely expensive for the relatively small amount of power it produces. Once it gets to where it makes more sense from an economic point of view, the market will blow wide open. We might see that happen in the near future.

    Wind power has largely proven a bust. It can be very damaging to the eco system.

    Batteries...well, lithium is probably the best we have, but it's still not good enough. Though there have been some small improvements, the problem is still the same as it has been...lack of range and slow recharge. And sadly, most scientists say there is absolutely no breakthroughs on the horizon. Until there is, rechargeable electric vehicles won't be able to replace the internal combustion engine in mainstream vehicles.
    They are using Tesla automobile battery packs for storage, real reasonable. And the prices on solar panels is real good. Its very economical if you do it yourself.

    You hook the 240 line to the charger, and don't bother selling it back. This way if your sun is unusually down, the 240 line charges only the battery, there will be no way for them to know how much power your using, not to mention the eventuality of the appliances reporting back to the system.

    I can assure you that is what's going to happen down the line.
    If you want to know more go here http://evtv.me/

    Roy
    A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years.
    Lysander Spooner

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    19,846
    Post Likes
    Gotta keep those panels clean too. Seen some stuff on you tube where even just a coating of normal daily dust can eat into the output of the panels

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,801
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Lol, its good for your pocket book, the reason its not more popular here, is because our country is being controlled by big oil.

    I tested lithium Iron batteries very early, I think somewhere in 2005 by testing A123 18650's. I checked the voltage and let them sit for 2 years, they didn't loose any voltage. That convinced me that this was the answer to electric vehicles and other things. Pretty obvious today, all you have to do is check the tools many of us use now.

    I purchased a small truck called Zap, removed the heavy sealed led acid batteries and installed 30 100 amp Lithium Iron batteries. It was unbelievable driving with this electric vehicle. It would beat any gas vehicle per speed and cost. The 100 amp hour batteries were unreal and reliable, as long as they were set up correctly.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJuCcKzEP0

    Since then electric vehicles are getting better and better with the help of Elon Musk, his vehicles can not be beat by anything so far.

    Here is some good info on the progress of electric vehicles and the power of Lithium.

    http://evtv.me/

    https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=4

    But anyhow, this is where its going, some years down the road, gas vehicles will be obsolete.

    Roy
    Range 30 to 50 miles top speed 50
    mph
    5 horsepower.
    I would run the batteries down just defrosting the windows).
    It's not practical as a truck... 5 horsepower.. A five horsepower minibike is underpowered ... Let alone a truck

    Sent from my LG Stylo -4
    ...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    39,734
    Post Likes
    Lets get out in the REAL world...

    Electric vehicles as currently available...
    Have a range from 100-300+ miles...

    When the battery is down...
    You have NO CHOICE at all...
    Other than waiting at a charging station for hours and hours (the longer the range, the longer the charge)...
    To go again.

    Now being realistic...
    When you go to the dealership and read the sticker on the window of a new car...
    How many of them actually get the mileage note on the sticker...
    Yeah... NONE of them!
    Do folks that 'want' electric cars to take over... really think it is any different with elec cars and distance until the battery is no longer providing power to run the car???
    Really now...

    And how many of you can truthfully say you will NEVER drive your car more than, lets say, 250 miles... without a 10-12 hour charge???
    So you NEVER go on a vacation that takes you farther than 250 miles in a day???
    How are you gonna charge the vehicle after you are 250 miles away from home??? Do you think you can just run a cord from the outdoor outlet on the porch and magically after a few hours you can go another 250 miles???
    Newsflash... that is NEVER gonna happen!
    And we have not even talked about commercial use... do any of you that run service calls, dog your vans to death rushing to the next call, AC blasting on high between calls... really think the vehicle is gonna go 200+ miles without a charge??? And what are you gonna tell your last few customers... 'Oh, we are sorry, the elec service van ran dead... you will have to wait until tomorrow'... We all KNOW the customer will call a company with gasoline vans... and you will be without customers!

    One can go on and on and on and on and on...
    The reality is...
    Until batteries are improved... electric cars are a nitch market...
    And as K noted above... the scientist community says there are NO breakthroughs in battery technology on the horizon.

    Sorry elec guys...
    Hope and change...
    Was only a pipe dream sold to us by a street thug that managed to get into the WH for 8 years...
    And IMO only suckers who want to believe in unicorns still believe in things that just do NOT work (at this time).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    19,435
    Post Likes
    Roy the practical real use of "Solar Power" is limited economically to heating water for domestic hot water with a hot water heater for back up and then it has it's limitations such as the type of roof it can be installed on etc. and orientation and area it can be used to pay back the investment and you cannot count subsidies.

    The use of solar for electric power is a total joke without massive subsidies to encourage it's use. Spare me the accolades of using Solar subsidized by the rest of us for the benefit of the few. Geez give us a break. Thank you, thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,679
    Post Likes
    I have not read the entire thread so I may have missed something. But, it is my understanding that California now is requiring all new homes built I think beginning in 2020, to have some solar as part of the new home.
    "No matter how thirsty your imagination, mirages contain no water"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,378
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    They are using Tesla automobile battery packs for storage, real reasonable. And the prices on solar panels is real good. Its very economical if you do it yourself.

    You hook the 240 line to the charger, and don't bother selling it back. This way if your sun is unusually down, the 240 line charges only the battery, there will be no way for them to know how much power your using, not to mention the eventuality of the appliances reporting back to the system.

    I can assure you that is what's going to happen down the line.
    If you want to know more go here http://evtv.me/

    Roy
    I agree that it will happen, but if it was economically feasible now, photovoltaic would be going in all over the place as quickly as we could make them. Our local utility put up acres of photovoltaic arrays down the street from me, but if you want their "green power", you have to pay a higher rate. That tells the story right there.

    As efficiency of photovoltaic goes up and costs come down, it will catch on more and more. And when it hits that sweet spot where it's economic feasible, the market will explode.

    Even Tesla battery packs are essentially a bunch of laptop batteries strapped together. Though Tesla has pushed the limits quite a bit, we still have the same problem; limited energy storage and slow recharges. Until these issues are solved, electric vehicles will not be able to replace the internal combustion engine for general automotive use. The latest and greatest Tesla (Model S Long Range) has a range of 370 miles, and that rating is at a constant 55 mph, which is not real world. And this comes with an $80,000 to $90,000 price tag. The price is out of the range (pun intended) of most Americans and you won't be doing much traveling in it due to recharge times and availability of recharge stations.

    So we're back to the batteries, and also the infrastructure to refuel them.

    I still think the Fuel Cell might be the answer to electric vehicles, but there is still much to do before they will be cost effective and safe. They can be a bomb if you aren't careful.

    To be clear, I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. The technology just isn't here yet to replace the internal combustion engine in mainstream use. But we certainly need to keep working on it, and I have no doubt that we will get there at some point. As with photovoltaic, when we do and the technology is economically feasible, it will happen and happen fast because investors will be throwing money at it. That's how the free market economy works.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    844
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Roy the practical real use of "Solar Power" is limited economically to heating water for domestic hot water with a hot water heater for back up and then it has it's limitations such as the type of roof it can be installed on etc. and orientation and area it can be used to pay back the investment and you cannot count subsidies.

    The use of solar for electric power is a total joke without massive subsidies to encourage it's use. Spare me the accolades of using Solar subsidized by the rest of us for the benefit of the few. Geez give us a break. Thank you, thank you very much.
    My father and brother own properties that use solar for all domestic electricity. Battery banks for when the sun ain't out. Generator backup for shop/welding use.

    Powering a house with solar can 100% be done.... depending on location/weather.

    Also, fossil fuel use is subsidized!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •