Thread: Demoing Old AC unit

Post Likes

Demoing Old AC unit

I hired a HVAC pro to pump out the coolant out of a very old AC system. Then, when demoing the line set, one portion had some liquid in it (maybe 6 oz). The lines weren't pressurized. What is the liquid? Is it dangerous, flammable, toxic, benign?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDMC View Post
    I hired a HVAC pro to pump out the coolant out of a very old AC system. Then, when demoing the line set, one portion had some liquid in it (maybe 6 oz). The lines weren't pressurized. What is the liquid? Is it dangerous, flammable, toxic, benign?
    The liquid was not refrigerant. At atmospheric pressure (the lineset open to air), all the liquid refrigerant has boiled off to vapor.

My guess is the liquid was refrigerant oil.

As long as you don't consume it, it should be safe to collect it and dispose of it.

Was your HVAC Pro concerned it was a toxin?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    My question would be why the pro couldn't answer your question. If it's an old system is was mineral oil.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in