+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving up in the world

Post Likes

Moving up in the world

I wanted to thank all you guys for the continuous feedback and input throughout the years.

Yes, years... I can't believe how far I have come in this trade.
    I am 6 years in with my current company. We do refrigeration only. No HVAC and no hot side.
    We mainly do bars, restaurants, offices, and small to medium sized refrigeration. Nothing large like supermarkets nor big warehouses.
    I am now the lead technician at my company. I am the one they count on to resolve difficult things when needed

I have presented the idea to my boss that I want to broaden my horizons and work on larger and more complicated pieces of equipment.
    I mentioned RTUs and perhaps getting in with some warehouses.
    It was a big No. They don't want to venture out.
    But I don't want to limit my knowledge and expertise due to my employers limitations.
    I love this family owned company and they have helped me get where I am today but... I think I am ready for bigger things. Wish I could change their minds about expanding but I doubt that'll happen.

What do you guys think?
    I believe I am ready

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Likes trippintl0, samoerly liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My guess is your current employer is concerned about cross training, and not having the techs for multiple types of equipment, resulting in getting a bad name due to the lack of experience in other areas.

I was real lucky to have an employer that would work on a very wide variety of equipment. Stayed there for over 20 years.

If you feel you need to move along, then I would take the time to carefully look into the other companies in your area. Time is on your side, so talk to guys you meet in at the wholesalers, as well as the guys behind the counter. For example, a company with a high turnover would probably be something to avoid.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

4. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Another thing...

Although I love my employer and we are a great team...
    They provide little to no benefits. Yeah I have some health and dental insurance but there's no retirement and nothing there to protect me should I get injured or whatnot.

I have no retirement plan in place currently, 401k, etc. They just don't offer that

Post Likes
    Something you could do is write down the name of every HVACR company in your area, then go online and see what they advertise that they do. Make short notes next to each company name, thereby weeding out those you would not be the least bit interested in, and highlighting the ones you would want to look into.

That way you would not need to waste your time with some companies, yet when you saw guys from the preferred companies, you would know who to talk to.

Post Likes
    Wow, i'm surprised they don't work on RTU's. We always did both. And I am sure 99% of other companies do both also.

8. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I wonder if they don't have the Dual license. That's gotta be it. Ours says - Specialty Dual / CR-39 Air Conditioning and Refrigeration.

Post Likes
    I can relate to your sentimental feelings towards your employer. But if they don’t offer a retirement plan then I say run, don’t walk, away from that job. I know it’s a hard decision and your heart is probably telling you to stay while your head is telling you to go. At the end of the day there’s plenty of places out there for good techs in our industry to get a job. One with good pay and good benefits.

I read once that it is wise to apply and interview for a new job every year. There are a couple of good reasons behind this: you sharpen your interviewing skill, see what other people are offering, see what makes your current company good or bad and see if there’s a job out there that would allow you to expand your horizons or dial it back. So I took that advice and looked into a highly sought after union job doing just reefer work and found out that it wasn’t what it was cracked up to be.

The point is you didn’t quit and weren’t fired, you still have a good job and time is on your side. Work another year as the lead tech, get that experience and check out 2-3 potential employers and plan to make a decision next spring. Everyone is hiring and paying top dollar to staff up for the busy season. That’s a good time to be hired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes UmmScott, trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My boss says...
    "Why have a guy who is kinda/somewhat good at a lot of things when you can specialize in a few things and be experts on it"
    That's his logic plus he says HVAC is not work you want to be in. I don't know his rationale for that one

Post Likes
    Generally speaking, air conditioning has less on call, and more regular hours. And the light commercial end of AC is easier than refrigeration, once you know refrigeration.

Quote Originally Posted by UmmScott View Post
    My boss says...
    "Why have a guy who is kinda/somewhat good at a lot of things when you can specialize in a few things and be experts on it"
    That's his logic plus he says HVAC is not work you want to be in. I don't know his rationale for that one

Post Likes
    Just playing devils advocate here...

I service anything and everything any of my customers will pay me to fix. Plumbing, electric, HVAC/R, hotside kitchen equipment, pneumatics, lab equipment, laundry (commercial and industrial), a friggin wave pool once. I’m not a magician out there. I’m not an expert at any of that stuff. There’s always someone out there that can do it better. But I still fix it all. That said I often wonder just how good I would be if I solely did refrigeration. Or if I just took care of one brand. I’m pretty sure I’d be amazing lol.

But on the other hand it’s totally admirable and commendable when someone tries to better themselves. Growing, gaining knowledge and experience never hurt anyone. So kudos to you for wanting more.

15. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I say go for it. Small refrigeration is my least favorite kind of work. I much prefer large HVAC and large refrigeration. It is tough working on a huge variety of stuff and being expected, by the customer, to be an expert on whatever they have, but I like it...it keeps things interesting. You should definitely look for a job with good benefits too.

17. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Variety is definitely the spice of life. Probably the only reason I stuck it out for 22 yrs with the same guy/company. The variety was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    Just playing devils advocate here...

I service anything and everything any of my customers will pay me to fix. Plumbing, electric, HVAC/R, hotside kitchen equipment, pneumatics, lab equipment, laundry (commercial and industrial), a friggin wave pool once. I’m not a magician out there. I’m not an expert at any of that stuff. There’s always someone out there that can do it better. But I still fix it all. That said I often wonder just how good I would be if I solely did refrigeration. Or if I just took care of one brand. I’m pretty sure I’d be amazing lol.

But on the other hand it’s totally admirable and commendable when someone tries to better themselves. Growing, gaining knowledge and experience never hurt anyone. So kudos to you for wanting more.

19. Likes VanMan812, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Generally speaking, air conditioning has less on call, and more regular hours. And the light commercial end of AC is easier than refrigeration, once you know refrigeration.
    More money in HVAC also. Serious, How much can you charge a guy to fix a two door reach in cooler. When he can get a different one on craigslist for less cost than a 9w condenser fan motor. Chinese restaurants were the worst. My moto was low temp=low pay.

21. Likes Core_d, UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hey UmmScott: When your feeling down, and in a rut, Your Prescription is to update your Resume, and Start looking. Now keep in mind, your current employer has the right to specialize in anything he wishes, as he writes out the paychecks. My advice to you is this though> Never Ever leave a job without having a better Job lined up, and Never Ever broadcast the fact that you are looking for work to anyone. Think about it, if you were your current boss, and found out you were looking, guess what he will be doing as well? Correct, looking for Your Replacement ASAP, and You Just may find out the Hard Way about a "Bird in the Hand"!... I also agree you need to Move on at this point to Expand your Knowledge Base so "All The Best To You".!

23. Likes UmmScott, trippintl0 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I stayed 28yrs with a company with little or no benefits and not any opportunity to advance. Great small company still in business today. I left for a job for less pay but benefits so it was a wash. After 6 months I got a promotion and a 5,000 raise. Now its been another 4yrs and another promotion and an 8,000 raise. Still full benefits. Its a state job at a college FYI. Going to be working on chillers, large air handlers,steam heat and control systems. Should have made the move 20yrs ago. Dont get stuck in a dead end job. Make the move.

25. Likes UmmScott liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Start your own company.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    Never Ever broadcast the fact that you are looking for work to anyone. Think about it, if you were your current boss, and found out you were looking, guess what he will be doing as well? Correct, looking for Your Replacement ASAP, and You Just may find out the Hard Way about a "Bird in the Hand"!... I also agree you need to Move on at this point to Expand your Knowledge Base so "All The Best To You".!
    Yup, I agree. Never talk about your moves to anyone. People are quick to try and shut your doors. Always keep things that are important to yourself and never out in the open.
    I myself left a large international union company to go solo. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers and wish them all well but for me, it was time to move on to try new things.
    Maybe it's just me. I can't seem to stay put with a job too long no matter how well they pay. I get bored I think. Forget working in house. Doing maintenance at the same site every day would be the end of me.
    I like the variety and service calls that refrigeration has to offer. I need to scratch my head every now and then. I think people are scared of risk. Scared of the new. But if you don't try new things you'll be stuck in the same position and that same monthly mortgage. I say go for it OP! Don't ever be bored!

Post Likes
    I can relate to the bond to the existing employer while wanting more variety. Yup, you are ready, and I bet you have a good prospect in mind. I did, and it turned out there was(is) plenty to learn but I’m still glad I did it.

Post Likes
    Congrats on becoming lead tech

As far as employment, you need to do what's best for you and your family.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in