Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Clothes washer recommendations

GE washing machine took a dump tonight. 17 years old and was on its last legs for about a year. Any brands to stay away from? Is GE worth buying today?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Maytag. Maytag. Maytag.

Post Likes
    GE is owned by the Chinese company Haier. If they make their washers as bad as they made Sis's Kenmore refrigerator, run! GE fridges are made in Mexico, not sure about the washsers.

I have a Whirlpool front loader purring along in the hall behind me. Recommended by the tech who condemned my last one and he works for a repair shop and doesn't sell them. Maytag is owned by Whirlpool so would be very comparable, maybe a bit fancier. My Maytag dishwasher does very well.

Post Likes
    They are all shit just buy the cheapest top loader you can find with the fewest features.

Post Likes
    Dad was a Kenmore fan, and I have always been a Kenmore fan as well. The reason being, was the ease of finding parts, and repairing them. Now, in today's world, Kenmore is probably made where everything else is, ie. china, who knows for sure? Just get the best deal you can on the functions you like, and roll the dice on any new brand i guess.

Post Likes
    Bottom end LG front loader. Have one in my home from 2010 works flawlessly. Bought one for work to wash a pot load of greasy rags every day. Still chugging away after just over a year of commercial use. Have not one bad thing to say...

Do not buy a Samsung. Do not buy a top loader that does not have a center agitator. Everybody is a crap shot.

Kennmore, whirlpool USED to be the go to lasts 20 years... No more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    Dad was a Kenmore fan, and I have always been a Kenmore fan as well. The reason being, was the ease of finding parts, and repairing them. Now, in today's world, Kenmore is probably made where everything else is, ie. china, who knows for sure? Just get the best deal you can on the functions you like, and roll the dice on any new brand i guess.
    I just checked my set that i purchased last year, and they are Kenmore/Whirlpool, that i picked up on sale last year, with my Vet discount, for under 900 bucks for the pair. They have been Great, for 15 months now, with no complaints, so far.

Post Likes
    I bought a used set of Matag Neptunes about ten years ago. I put a water pump in the washer about eight years ago. ( front loader ) and the dryer burned off the belt pulley last year. I found a working dryer in an appliance trade in yard for fifty bucks that's was in better shape than my old one. So I've had a washer/ dryer for the last ten years for $225.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Post Likes
    I've had a Whirlpool Duet frontloader for 15 years and it's never missed a beat. It cut drying time in half and is so much gentler on the clothes they last a lot longer.

The matching dryer's electronics quit just recently. The board I need is no longer available so I retrofitted it with a simple timer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    They are all shit just buy the cheapest top loader you can find with the fewest features.
    This is what I did. Standard efficiency Amana, with an agitator, which is probably made by Electrolux like everything else is.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    This is what I did. Standard efficiency Amana, with an agitator, which is probably made by Electrolux like everything else is.
    I think you made the right decision

Post Likes
    Amana is correct for the best top load standard. At least is was 5ys ago when I was repairing appliances. They were still old school. I believe they may have gone to plastic gears in the trannie and the water use limitations were an issue. The government has a rule how much water your machine can use. Otherwise whirlpool/Maytag and Kenmore all the same machine. Just a different badge on front.With everything who is the authorized service shop makes a difference. In this area if you dont mind waiting 3-4 weeks for service choose Kenmore. Samsung parts impossible to get. GE,LG,Maytag,Whirlpool and Amana all have independent service companies in the area. Most of the independents service those brands.

Post Likes
    I don't know anything important about washers or dryers. I had some Fisher & Paykel machines for a while but I couldn't keep boards in the dryer. After I got rid of it I found that the clipping varistor on it's circuit breaker had been left off at some point of me tinkering in the breaker box - so maybe the unconditioned power was the issue. The F&P washer spins up to some insane fast speed so the clothes come out of the washer almost dry to start with.

Since then I have chosen appliances based on essentially nothing except that I like the genesis of the name: Frigid Air. <g>

Hey; I like making frigid air - maybe there will be a Karmic benefit to having it named on all my appliances.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast