Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Replacing a Compressor on a 2.5 Ton Unit (Can I use a Non-OEM compressor?)

Hello and thanks in advance for your input/answers.

I have a 2.5Ton unit (model No. 13AJA36A01 Rheem/WeatherKing) that stopped working. Earlier today the unit would not turn on, so after some troubleshooting, I called my AC tech to come out and take a look at it. After some diagnosing, my tech informed me that the compressor died. He mentioned that the compressor had a short circuit which caused the failure. He also mentioned that since my system is R22, they no longer make replacement parts, and even if we found a replacement, the cost would be similar to installing a new system. After some searching in craigslist/Offerup, I found a local HVAC guy that sells used compressors (R22) at reasonable prices. Do I have to use the same OEM compressor or can I use a different brand as long the compressor is rated for the same tonnage? Looking for alternative solutions as I dont have the $ plus that it will cost to install a new unit. I'm in South Florida, so I need to find a solution asap. One last question, how much freon (r22) do i need for a 2.5T system?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-11-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Post Likes
    Do not install or buy used parts. You’ll almost certainly be in a much worse situation doing so.
    Compressors and parts are still widely available. As are alternate refrigerants for R22.
    Depending on age it may be a wiser investment to go with a new system. If your equipment is particularly old or in poor shape.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

3. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Where are you in south Florida?

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by snakeo2 View Post

I have a 2.5Ton unit (model No. 13AJA36A01 Rheem/WeatherKing) that stopped working. Earlier today the unit would not turn on, so after some troubleshooting, I called my AC tech to come out and take a look at it. After some diagnosing, my tech informed me that the compressor died. He mentioned that the compressor had a short circuit which caused the failure. He also mentioned that since my system is R22, they no longer make replacement parts, and even if we found a replacement, the cost would be similar to installing a new system. After some searching in craigslist/Offerup, I found a local HVAC guy that sells used compressors (R22) at reasonable prices. Do I have to use the same OEM compressor or can I use a different brand as long the compressor is rated for the same tonnage? Looking for alternative solutions as I dont have the $ plus that it will cost to install a new unit. I'm in South Florida, so I need to find a solution asap. One last question, how much freon (r22) do i need for a 2.5T system?
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I have some other questions:

Did the circuit breaker trip?

Were any fuses bad when the AC guy got there?

BTW: Every single replacement part for your unit is readily available.

PHM
    ---------------

Last edited by beenthere; 05-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    PHM
    --------

6. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    One last question, how much freon (r22) do i need for a 2.5T system?

If your OD data plate ( electrical data plate on the unit ) is non faded it should state a close proximity of what's in your system. Also..

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyho..._PROD_FILE.pdf

If this looks like yours it says 108 ounces ( page 5 for a 3 ton ) which includes 15' of lineset, ID and OD unit. Does that match up with your data plate?

BTW you say you have a 2.5 ton unit but the model number you provided says 3 ton, so which is it? Page 2 " Model Number Identification "

Post Likes
    Google shows that's a 3 ton, 13 seer, straight cool ac condenser. Did he mean he can't get parts for the furnace, because all the parts look available to me. I'd put money that you'll still be able to repair that unit in 20 years with brand new parts. Find a different company-this guys blowing smoke saying you can't get parts. Used parts are worth their weight in scrap, no more. A legitimate tech can install a new compressor and convert it to an R-22 replacement, like R-407c. A legitimate business can do this profitably for way less than a whole new system. The only new system your going to get at his price is a "new to you". The identification tag on the condenser tells you how much refrigerant the outside unit holds plus a matching indoor coil and 15' of lineset, longer than that requires more.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for their input. The tech told me it was a 2.5T unit, but when I searched the model number it did show it was a 3T unit. I frankly did not remember, as this unit was installed back in 2008, so I went with what he told me. To answer some of the questions posted:

a) Yes the breaker did trip. In fact, the breaker needed replacement which he already did.

b)When I asked about repairs, his response was that this unit uses R22 freon which is no longer readily available as the industry has now moved to R140. He made it seem like sourcing parts for my unit would not only be difficult, but ultimately the cost would be as high as getting a new system. I know better, since these days you can find parts for basically anything. Of course the issue with AC as is always the case in South Florida is time. It's so hot and humid down here that you cant afford to order a part from the internet and wait 3-5 days to be delivered. The guy either didnt think it was necessary to tell me about system convertion (r22 to R140 or other) or simply put is more profitable to sell me a new system.

c) It appears that the freon capacity is 108 as mentioned by Makeitcold. I'm attaching a picture of the specs of the unit. I'm going to call a local HVAC distributor and see if they have a replacement compressor for my unit or if they sell everything needed to do the R22 to R-407c conversion.

I'm trying to avoid going the "new system" route if possible.

Post Likes
    Has anyone performed an acid test yet?

Although a burnout can be repaired with the age of the unit and a burnout replace everything or live with a nightmare! Clean ups can be done but not worth it on a old system.

Post Likes
    Used compressors are good for scrap metal only!

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for their input. The tech told me it was a 2.5T unit, but when I searched the model number it did show it was a 3T unit. I frankly did not remember, as this unit was installed back in 2008, so I went with what he told me. To answer some of the questions posted:

a) Yes the breaker did trip. In fact, the breaker needed replacement which he already did.

b)When I asked about repairs, his response was that this unit uses R22 freon which is no longer readily available as the industry has now moved to R140. He made it seem like sourcing parts for my unit would not only be difficult, but ultimately the cost would be as high as getting a new system. I know better, since these days you can find parts for basically anything. Of course the issue with AC as is always the case in South Florida is time. It's so hot and humid down here that you cant afford to order a part from the internet and wait 3-5 days to be delivered. The guy either didnt think it was necessary to tell me about system convertion (r22 to R140 or other) or simply put is more profitable to sell me a new system.

c) It appears that the freon capacity is 108 as mentioned by Makeitcold. I'm attaching a picture of the specs of the unit. I'm going to call a local HVAC distributor and see if they have a replacement compressor for my unit or if they sell everything needed to do the R22 to R-407c conversion.

I'm trying to avoid going the "new system" route if possible.
    R22 is still avalible so find a company who has it and will replace the compressor and liquid line filter drier.

No conversion is necessary.

If you do choose to convert to another refridgerant use rs44b(453). It provides a better cooling experience then 407c and requires no system mods to function properly i.e. you save money on conversion labor and parts.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Replacing a compressor isn't cheap. The cause of the compressor failure will also have to be repaired. It can be fixed but get a couple quotes on repair vs replace before doing anything. Around here the price is close enough that most folks will go for new with a 10 year warranty vs 1 year on a compressor.

Supply houses shouldn't be giving prices of parts to home owners. The sell to contractors who have to mark up the parts to cover operating expenses and make a living.

Post Likes
    So where in south Florida are you anyway?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    New compressor-1 year parts warranty....Used compressor-no warranty....New 410A condenser....5-years warranty....10 years if registered...just change metering device at evaporator coil. If the new or used compressor fails, you're right back where you started, and you get to spend all that money the second time. The cost of R22 should be enough to tell you to take another route, but it's your $$$$.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast