Post Likes

Carrier 19DK external oil filter upgrade

I'm going to change from the OEM type that's in the pump to an external cartridge type. I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the regulator. The filter will be downstream of the regulator. Does anyone have any Bulletins or upgrade directions?

Post Likes
    I put one of these York filters on a burnt up 19XL one time and didn't have any problems

If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

3. Likes ruuufuhbock liked this post
    Post Likes
    Nice pic !
    I have also done the same with no issues a 3 of those machines
    Good mechanics are getting harder to find.....have you encouraged or discouraged a young mechanic today?

Post Likes
    There was a service bulletin put out by Carrier to perform this upgrade. I have been retired for a few years and unfortunately I do not have access to it....so I have to rely on memory. The internal relief was modified to stay in the closed position to allow for an external regulator. A piece of 1/2" or 5/8" diameter copper, (you can confirm diameter when you have access to the regulator) was cut 1/2" long and inserted inside the existing regulator (the spring and the piston remain). This effectively sealed the regulator closed and allowed full pump pressure to the oil filter canisters. A new regulator was installed downstream of the filter canister and vented back into the oil sump. I used an oil regulator from a 19C chiller which allowed for oil pressure adjustment once all was up and running. Hope this info helps you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hw chiller man View Post
    There was a service bulletin put out by Carrier to perform this upgrade. I have been retired for a few years and unfortunately I do not have access to it....so I have to rely on memory. The internal relief was modified to stay in the closed position to allow for an external regulator. A piece of 1/2" or 5/8" diameter copper, (you can confirm diameter when you have access to the regulator) was cut 1/2" long and inserted inside the existing regulator (the spring and the piston remain). This effectively sealed the regulator closed and allowed full pump pressure to the oil filter canisters. A new regulator was installed downstream of the filter canister and vented back into the oil sump. I used an oil regulator from a 19C chiller which allowed for oil pressure adjustment once all was up and running. Hope this info helps you.
    That’s what I remember as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Here the SB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!