Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    If you have the same flame, the same amount of gas coming out of the tip, you are not using more gas.

For me, you need that higher pressure when you put on a cutting tip. Plus, when I'm through with the soldering, brazing, or welding, then I turn up the oxy to blow the flame out. Can't do that with low pressure.
    You could just turn the ace down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I run ace at 5.

Maybe you mean oxy?

Since I think there was a post on here to run ace at 7.

I really can't see myself turning acetylene down lower than 5 psig. I also can't see myself turn acetylene up above 5 psig. Seriously, I mean, why?

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    You could just turn the ace down

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Maybe if you're tip is too small.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    FWIW uniweld recommends 5/5 for a lot of tips and 7/7 for others. The rosebuds are a little split with 8/10 and I think 10/12.

Post Likes
    I run ace at 5.

Maybe you mean oxy?

Since I think there was a post on here to run ace at 7.

I really can't see myself turning acetylene down lower than 5 psig. I also can't see myself turn acetylene up above 5 psig. Seriously, I mean, why?
    No, not during operation. No need to change how you run the torch. You obviously know how to braze. I meant when your done. Instead of blowing out the torch with high oxy pressure, you could just close the ace.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was quite young when my dad taught me how to use an oxy/act rig. Seriously, 10 years old or younger. Maybe 9.

Haven't seen any reason to change what he taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    No, not during operation. No need to change how you run the torch. You obviously know how to braze. I meant when your done. Instead of blowing out the torch with high oxy pressure, you could just close the ace.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    https://youtu.be/CzpDVTThyD8

That’s rosebud with 9 psi acetylene and 13 oxy. Specs say 8 ace and 10 oxy but I’ve heard arrestors have a bit of pressure drop.

Just realized my phone isnt gonna cut it for the definition im looking for when pointing out the blue needle point tips coming from the bud orifices. Are you having the same issue? When mine is set right it looks just like your video when I try to record.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CEAS-AC-TECH View Post
    Just realized my phone isnt gonna cut it for the definition im looking for when pointing out the blue needle point tips coming from the bud orifices. Are you having the same issue? When mine is set right it looks just like your video when I try to record.

Yeah, it’s just too bright for the camera. Hell, it’s too bright for my eyes to pick up. I was just adjusting it until I had still had some “soft” feathering right before it met the tips. Any more oxy and it starts to make a sharper sound.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Yeah, it’s just too bright for the camera. Hell, it’s too bright for my eyes to pick up. I was just adjusting it until I had still had some “soft” feathering right before it met the tips. Any more oxy and it starts to make a sharper sound.

Yea it'll be sharpe sound like a cutting tip welders use.

Post Likes
    Haven't seen any reason to change what he taught me.

Just because you've been doing it wrong for 60 years, doesn't make it right! LOL!!

Seriously though, we all find what works for us.....but in this business, there are things that are "tehnically" the correct way, or something that is an industry standard.

heck, most people don't even know what a micron gauge is, but still can install a system that works correctly and reaches full life expectancy (or longer). Are they doing it wrong? technically, yes they are. Does it work for them?.....obviously it does.

brazing is the same....the equipment manufacturers specify exactly what pressures to run for which tips, and tell us exactly which procedures to follow while using their equipment. Do we all follow what they tell us? from reading this post, obviously not.

so technically.....we're all doing it wrong.

11. Likes The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Since there are four different tips on my work rig, probably three or four on my personal small tanks, and probably four or five on my full size rig, all different manufactures, I would need a dozen different pressure settings. Ain't no one got time fo' dat!!

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Just because you've been doing it wrong for 60 years, doesn't make it right! LOL!!

Seriously though, we all find what works for us.....but in this business, there are things that are "tehnically" the correct way, or something that is an industry standard.

heck, most people don't even know what a micron gauge is, but still can install a system that works correctly and reaches full life expectancy (or longer). Are they doing it wrong? technically, yes they are. Does it work for them?.....obviously it does.

brazing is the same....the equipment manufacturers specify exactly what pressures to run for which tips, and tell us exactly which procedures to follow while using their equipment. Do we all follow what they tell us? from reading this post, obviously not.

so technically.....we're all doing it wrong.

Post Likes
    Ok, ill throw out something here. I braze with oxy/act a lot. I've never used more than 5&5 or 7&7 etc for pressures and can't imagine using some of the high pressures mentioned. It's your job & your choice.
    My pet pieve is these companies who sell the small portable MC sets with a cutting tip and a couple welding/brazing tips.
    The withdrawal rule of 1/7th applies, and some sources have now lowered it to 1/10th, and any cutting tip and most brazing tips will easily outrun the MC bottle that comes in the set. What gives? Some say that's per continuous use, but if you braze long enough to use 1/7th (or 1/10th}) of your MC bottle in an hour, that's too much. Heck I see guys using a #11 air/act tip with an MC, go check it's usage!

14. Likes ChuckDe liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345