Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    You guys have your pressures way too high. 7/7 are the standard clean flame pressures.

You can braze exactly the same with a small tip, a rosebud, a hook, etc. at 7/7. Adjust at the handle as needed.....you’re just wasting gas any higher than that.

Those pressures will suffice for most any standard brazing we do. Getting into 3” of more, you’ll need more pressure.

2. Likes The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    LOL

Wasting gas? When the gas is throttled back? I always get a kick out of it when I hear someone say that.

That's why God put knobbies on the torch handle.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    You guys have your pressures way too high. 7/7 are the standard clean flame pressures.

You can braze exactly the same with a small tip, a rosebud, a hook, etc. at 7/7. Adjust at the handle as needed.....you’re just wasting gas any higher than that.

Those pressures will suffice for most any standard brazing we do. Getting into 3” of more, you’ll need more pressure.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Well, I think I might have just fallen for staybrite 8. After realizing I’ve been using a # 0 tip for brazing I tried soldering with it. 30 seconds later I had a decent joint. I even cut it in half with band saw to check it. 6 psi ace and 11 psi oxy for the win. Anyone have any staybrite 8 horror stories? Maybe I should make a thread about that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hmmm, now that I’m looking at it the flux on the inside of the pipe may be a problem. I can just picture POE oil picking it up and eventually wearing away the insulation over the windings.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    LOL

Wasting gas? When the gas is throttled back? I always get a kick out of it when I hear someone say that.

That's why God put knobbies on the torch handle.
    Yup....if you’re throttling 20 psi, vs 7 psi, you’re using more gas at 20.

Post Likes
    It’s been a long week. Help me understand how a manual regulator (knob) 8” from the flame, lowers the gas pressure less efficiently than the tank regulator. Thx.

Post Likes
    Using a rose bud to weld in a captube, ..... that could waste some gas...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    It’s been a long week. Help me understand how a manual regulator (knob) 8” from the flame, lowers the gas pressure less efficiently than the tank regulator. Thx.
    I dont think it matters where the pressure drop occurs, but the regulator is more efficiently doing it.

With a bigger tip, probably not much of an issue. Smaller tip, then the throttle point on the knob may need to be too low if using a higher pressure, especially if the needle and seat are worn in the valve body.

10. Likes ChuckDe liked this post
    Post Likes
    We can argue about it all day long, but if you set your regulators to 7/7, you’re going to braze the same as you would with 10/30.

Unless you’re brazing 3” lineset, you’ll do just fine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Which brings up the point of why do you have to set the regulator so high, if you think the valves regulate the gas flow just as well?

13. Likes The Turtleman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Which brings up the point of why do you have to set the regulator so high, if you think the valves regulate the gas flow just as well?
    Haha! good comeback there and a good point as well, lol

Post Likes
    We can argue about it all day long, but if you set your regulators to 7/7, you’re going to braze the same as you would with 10/30.

Unless you’re brazing 3” lineset, you’ll do just fine.
    I set mine the same way. Balance pressure.

Post Likes
    If you have the same flame, the same amount of gas coming out of the tip, you are not using more gas.

For me, you need that higher pressure when you put on a cutting tip. Plus, when I'm through with the soldering, brazing, or welding, then I turn up the oxy to blow the flame out. Can't do that with low pressure.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast