Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Flashback Arrestors

Anyone use them? I just got a set for my new Uniweld 71 torch handle. Put em on last night to play with them and a new cap n hook tip. The thing is, the oxy one moans and has a virbration. It seems to sporadically turn off as I couldnt get the capn hook or my small rosebud tip to run stable without popping and losing flame. Im thinking maybe its a faulty arrestor as the torch handle is new, the hoses are new, and the tips are new. Just thought I'd see what you guys think before I tear them off and take them back.

Post Likes
    I have em on my full size torch and they work fine. I think there a must have for safety. A lot of torches dont have them, and knowledge is the biggest need if you don't use them. I use a oxy/act torch a good bit and never had a problem, but there's always a first time, so I use em.
    If you're having trouble, then find someone near you who knows his stuff and ask questions and get help, maybe yours are defective.

Post Likes
    Deffinetly a must have.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What's your pressure at the regulator? Maybe it's too low.

Seems I remember a discussion on here awhile back where some guys like to run real low pressures to their tips. My oxy is always at 20 psi, probably because you need that for cutting (and that's just the way I was taught over 50 years ago) and I've never had a problem.

They didn't have those flashback arrestors when I first learned how to use an oxy/acetylene rig. At some point after I was in the trade, I noticed them on my company supplied torches. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that was a pretty good idea. So I went out and bought some to install on my full size rig at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Achso017 View Post
    Anyone use them? I just got a set for my new Uniweld 71 torch handle. Put em on last night to play with them and a new cap n hook tip. The thing is, the oxy one moans and has a virbration. It seems to sporadically turn off as I couldnt get the capn hook or my small rosebud tip to run stable without popping and losing flame. Im thinking maybe its a faulty arrestor as the torch handle is new, the hoses are new, and the tips are new. Just thought I'd see what you guys think before I tear them off and take them back.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    I tried lower oxy at first (7-8 psi) then bumped it to 12 then 15. It doesn’t always make noise but it does “pop” and lose flame every stinkin time. I was just playing around last night but if I was in the field it would’ve been a time waster and nitro waster. After the cap n hook tip did it’s firecracker impression for the 9th time after adjusting pressures I almost lost it. Tried the rosebud with the same results. I’ll try it some more this weekend when I get some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I tried lower oxy at first (7-8 psi) then bumped it to 12 then 15. It doesn’t always make noise but it does “pop” and lose flame every stinkin time. I was just playing around last night but if I was in the field it would’ve been a time waster and nitro waster. After the cap n hook tip did it’s firecracker impression for the 9th time after adjusting pressures I almost lost it. Tried the rosebud with the same results. I’ll try it some more this weekend when I get some time.

You need someoneto show you. Swing by a local welding place and ask for help setting up your rig. Better safe then sorry bud. Fire isn't something to play with.

Post Likes
    Popping at the torch tip is also a sign your O-rings are worn out. Replace those first before you do anything else.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    By the way, the torch tips are only supposed to be hand tight. You should never use a wrench on them.

Post Likes
    Well, the o rings on rosebud might need replacing (definitely) but the cap n hook is new as is the torch handle. I admit that seeing the flat sided but made me use the wrench to tighten it. I will not do that again. I always had my pressures at 8-10 acetylene and 20 oxy for the past 12 years but I saw the charts for different tips called for less so I thought I would try lower settings.

Post Likes
    Well, the o rings on rosebud might need replacing (definitely) but the cap n hook is new as is the torch handle. I admit that seeing the flat sided but made me use the wrench to tighten it. I will not do that again. I always had my pressures at 8-10 acetylene and 20 oxy for the past 12 years but I saw the charts for different tips called for less so I thought I would try lower settings.

Acetylene first @enough psi till the black smoke goes away. Then oxy till you get a point point flame.

Post Likes
    The O-rings are not on the tips, they are on the handle. Check it out.

Even if they look good, replace them. Then see how your tips act.

Post Likes
    The handles new...

Post Likes
    O-rings could still be damaged. They are probably the single cheapest part of your rig. What, maybe a dollar?

Popping occurs because ignition is taking place INSIDE your torch tip. Typically, the pressure of the gasses keeps the flame outside of the torch tip. Bad pressures or O-rings can cause popping.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast