Post Likes

Carrier problems

Hi
    Curious what people think .
    So built our house in 2014. 4 ton unit for 3000sq ft house. No issues as far as handling the winter and summer. We are in PA.Works great.
    So after 18 months our compressor died. Carrier does NOT warranty labor so $ out of pocket.
    Now today in May 2019 which is close to 5 years I have a Freon leak indoors and now need a new coil along with a capacitor that is not up to par either. Again no labor warranty from Carrier so another $ to replace. So $ out of pocket for this in 5 years
    I do my 2 service calls a year to keep things clean as I should. Very frustrating
    Carrier is garbage. Does anyone know if Carrier would realize I have a very bad system that was put in and perhaps do something?? Last time I called about the compressor going at 18 months and they hung up on me when I asked to back their product and cover labor.
    Thanks for your time
    Brian
    Last edited by beenthere; 05-12-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Post Likes
    Brian, believe it or not, they're thousands of stories like yours, "that involve ALL brands" and yes, the normal labor warranty is one year, unless you purchase some sort of extended labor warranty. Every part you listed should be covered, under the 10 year parts if your system was registered. By the way, most compressors don't die, they are killed, and many things can be responsible for killing them.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

3. Likes sonnyspop liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yeah I know they are usually killed but not sure what could be the cause for either of these events. I ensure I keep air filters clean, service every 6 months with a good service company (have done my neighbors for 12 + years and their systems have had no issues yet so not bad work). I also drain the pump that pumps out the condensation to ensure the pvc lines are clear. I even hose off the outdoor coils every spring and ensure no leaves, grass or anything gets in the way. Not sure what else I could have done to prevent this. I had a trane system on my last house that we had installed and was 10 years without a single problem doing the same thing.
    GRRRR
    Brian

Post Likes
    Multiple system failures come in 1 of 2 categories, either poor design or poor install. Generally if it is poor design then the manufacturer will stand up and either throw out a recall for major issues or do a fix on fail for less issues not as prevalent. In the case of a recall or fix on fail it is because of a single issue like a faulty part or a design issue that causes a repeated failure, not different failures over time. In your case it sounds like an install issue. A manufacturer will not stand behind a install issue as they were not involved with the install. If you follow threads on this site you will see the same line over and over "don't worry about the brand, get a good installer." You are seeing first hand why. You can try getting the installer to step up, but they will likely not know what the issue is because they do all the installs the same way and don't see the connection of the install to the problem. Another dealer may be able to figure it out but it will depend on the tech that is sent out, and if they figure it out you will probably not like the price tag.

Post Likes
    Yeah the installer is not the one servicing. We used a builder we knew that was 45 miles away and said they would build for us. So they used their company which is a well known company but who knows what that means.
    When we moved in we asked that company to quote us for service and it was almost double than normal because of the distance. So we went with our current company. So no way to tell if it was a bad install. What factors of an install could trigger these issues?
    Seems pretty straight forward. No increased static pressure or things like that. Unit is in a walkout basement that is temperature controlled with the outdoor unit a few feet at most away. I am at a loss
    Thanks

Post Likes
    BTWit is FB4C airhandler

Post Likes
    Airflow, charge, set up, control wiring are a few things off the top of my head. Blower speed is often left at manufacturer default, charge is often on adjusted, the set up for the thermostat or equipment if often left as is rather than adjusted to match the installation, control wiring wired as normal rather than to the specific equipment.

Post Likes
    Exactly why we say the installing contractor is more important then the name on the boxes!

Post Likes
    Was a load calc done to size the unit or was it rule of thumb sizing?
    Are the ducts sized correctly?
    Heat pump or a/c?
    What is the indoor unit heat source?

As stated, what killed the first compressor? If nothing was determined as the cause, it most likely is still there.
    Capacitor is not an unlikely failure after 4/5 years. Did it get replaced when the compressor did?

Indoor coil leaks were an issue with many mfrs in recent past, but realize this is a manufactured item and not every one of them is perfect. Not what you want to hear, but it is no different than an automobile, toaster, wash machine, etc. Tens or hundreds of thousands produced and some will be duds.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    2014 was a time I'd like to forget. Every manufacturers evap coils leaked, as this was before they all switched to aluminum instead of using higher grade copper. At the same time TXV'S were failing so fast it would have been comical if it wasn't so sad. I'd like to know how the leak was found, as all the hvac companies around me are pretty "well known" but for different reasons

Post Likes
    sorry for delay in replying. was away on business.
    Yes load calc was done. Ducts seem aok. lots of them for the 2 stories and no air flow issues
    It is a Heat Pump Comfort Series 14 seer with a backup heat coil. Thankfully with 2x6 framing and very good insulation even in the winters in the NE it does not go on often.
    When the compressor was replaced it was deemed that the compressor itself was bad. They told me that when they sent it back to carrier and carrier responded.
    So no clue why both compressor and now evap coil have broken but in 5 years it should not happen. If I get another issue I will go to Amana whose warranty is much better. My neighbors installed that a few years back with zero issues so far.

Post Likes
    Whichever brand you go with, spend the money on the labor warranty.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brtims View Post
    Ducts seem aok. lots of them for the 2 stories and no air flow issues

So no clue why both compressor and now evap coil have broken but in 5 years it should not happen. If I get another issue I will go to Amana whose warranty is much better. My neighbors installed that a few years back with zero issues so far.
    So your statement Ducts seem aok. lots of them for the 2 stories and no air flow issuesThat does not tell us anything at all. What would tell us something is the TESP static pressure of the duct work and the speed the unit is in and the indoor and outdoor model numbers.

your compressor probably failed due to low air flow. Probably.

And Amana's better warranty is only for (i think) the compressor again no labor. No manufacturer gives a labor warranty. The installer will give a 1 year labor warranty when it is installed. If you would like you could purchase an extended labor warranty (for additional $$'s) which covers labor up to 10 years.

Your evaporator leaking as was stated earlier ALL manufacturers had problems with copper/aluminum coils leaking prematurely. Most if not all manufacturers went to all aluminum coils and now premature leaks has been reduced. This has also been called formicary corrosion.

I was out to a house yesterday (it is 13 years old) I found a 5 ton drive furnace with the blower for the ac on high and a 3.5 ton ac. It has been like this since it was installed. The installers did not bother to check or adjust fan speed to match the outdoor unit. It was blowing approximately 1780 cfm of air the 3.5 ton only needs 1400 cfm. So I put the fan in low and the cfm is now approximately 1480. They said that the humidity in the house in the summer was very high.