Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

More HVAC Fun ...

Trane XR16 unit won't fire up. Low pressure sensor causing it to lock out. Open the cage and find the filter dryer line snapped off below the inline dryer. Two year old unit. Lost all its charge. 13 Pounds of 410A plus labor. Fun. Really poor manufacturing on Trane's part!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheHomeowner View Post
    Trane XR16 unit won't fire up. Low pressure sensor causing it to lock out. Open the cage and find the filter dryer line snapped off below the inline dryer. Two year old unit. Lost all its charge. 13 Pounds of 410A plus labor. Fun. Really poor manufacturing on Trane's part!
    Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  139.2 KB

Post Likes
    There is more to that story than what has been told so far.

Keep me posted.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    What do you think is the rest of the story? Vandalism seems remote given is in a locked security camera controlled area and would have required taking apart the cage to get to it. My suspicion is that the drier vibrated constantly until the copper became work brittle and let go. Your thoughts?

Post Likes
    I think that #2 is likely accurate.

But vibration of the sort required to cause that break is not at all normal. So the line breaking is a symptom - not a problem.

But I don't have a perfect crystal ball - so let's see what shows up when the unit is back in service.

PHM
    -------------

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheHomeowner View Post

1. What do you think is the rest of the story? Vandalism seems remote given is in a locked security camera controlled area and would have required taking apart the cage to get to it.

2. My suspicion is that the drier vibrated constantly until the copper became work brittle and let go.

3. Your thoughts?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    From the photo, looks like there is a piece missing.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Looks like the pipe had been under stress from being out of line. Was the rest of the broken pipe still in the drier? Maybe a poor braze joint along with possible compressor or fan blade balance issue.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Yes the two pieces mate up So no copper line missing. Balance issue is a good point!

Post Likes
    Breaks like that dont happen from vibration.

Post Likes
    Looks a bit like a frozen coil could have pushed the line to the outside causing the break.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

11. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I hope they put the drier inside where it belongs!

Post Likes
    That sucks. I've seen heat pumps shake so bad after an ice storm that they broke copper lines. At least yours has a low pressure safety, many don't and it ruins the compressor too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    That sucks. I've seen heat pumps shake so bad after an ice storm that they broke copper lines. At least yours has a low pressure safety, many don't and it ruins the compressor too.
    True although since it is still under warranty it might have been cheaper for the compressor to destroy itself and replace with a pre-charged unit at no charge under warranty. I wish I could get the line dryer moved but since it is a Trane warranty repair, they will likely want to put it back the exact same way built. I have switched to Carrier units now for the other income properties - maybe I will have better luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast