Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheHomeowner View Post
    True although since it is still under warranty it might have been cheaper for the compressor to destroy itself and replace with a pre-charged unit at no charge under warranty. I wish I could get the line dryer moved but since it is a Trane warranty repair, they will likely want to put it back the exact same way built. I have switched to Carrier units now for the other income properties - maybe I will have better luck.
    Warranty repair they can place it wherever they want!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Warranty repair they can place it wherever they want!
    Thanks .. that's good to know!

Post Likes
    So the verdict is poor quality/defective tube. A thin wall section of the tube looks like it broke, likely from vibration. First picture is the non-broken end after cut out with tubing cutter, second picture is the broken end. Seems like a big difference in thickness even to the naked eye.

Name:  IMG_0763.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  82.5 KBName:  IMG_0762.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  79.2 KB

Post Likes
    Looks like water copper.

Post Likes
    So the verdict is poor quality/defective tube. A thin wall section of the tube looks like it broke, likely from vibration. First picture is the non-broken end after cut out with tubing cutter, second picture is the broken end. Seems like a big difference in thickness even to the naked eye.

The top cut would need to be reamed to show the tube thickness.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Ream that cutter-burr out of the first pic tube and then compare wall thicknesses.

PHM
    -----------

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I see you beat me to it. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    The top cut would need to be reamed to show the tube thickness.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    True although since it is still under warranty it might have been cheaper for the compressor to destroy itself and replace with a pre-charged unit at no charge under warranty. I wish I could get the line dryer moved but since it is a Trane warranty repair, they will likely want to put it back the exact same way built. I have switched to Carrier units now for the other income properties - maybe I will have better luck.
    Could have been an issue with trane or one of their suppliers, God knows manufacturers are using the cheapest copper they can source. I've worked for trane and carrier dealers and generally find the trane's and carrier both make good furnaces but I got nothing that good to say about carriers a/c's. I don't think either Carrier or Trane will give you a new condensing unit because the compressor goes out under warranty, though

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Could have been an issue with trane or one of their suppliers, God knows manufacturers are using the cheapest copper they can source. I've worked for trane and carrier dealers and generally find the trane's and carrier both make good furnaces but I got nothing that good to say about carriers a/c's. I don't think either Carrier or Trane will give you a new condensing unit because the compressor goes out under warranty, though
    Reaming out the burr aside look at the left versus right side - notice the difference in thickness? In the end the consumer gets screwed by poor quality.

Post Likes
    Reaming out the burr aside look at the left versus right side - notice the difference in thickness? In the end the consumer gets screwed by poor quality.
    So you are saying that the inner edge of the top picture is not rolled in?

Im pretty sure I can see the rolled edge at the end of the tubing in the bottom picture.

You simply cant compare the thickness of a broken end with the thickness of an end cut with a tubing cutter. The broken end will also have a slightly reduced thickness right at the broken end from being torn apart.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    So you are saying that the inner edge of the top picture is not rolled in?

Im pretty sure I can see the rolled edge at the end of the tubing in the bottom picture.

You simply cant compare the thickness of a broken end with the thickness of an end cut with a tubing cutter. The broken end will also have a slightly reduced thickness right at the broken end from being torn apart.
    No I am not saying that. I am saying looking at the bottom picture the left side is thicker than right side. Just poor quality tube.

Post Likes
    No I am not saying that. I am saying looking at the bottom picture the left side is thicker than right side. Just poor quality tube.
    Alright, I might see what you are talking about now.

4 O’clock on the top picture appears thicker than 10 O’clock as well.

Post Likes
    I got called out to a Papa Murphys about 8 years ago for a prep table not cooling. It was a 4 door Delfield with top rail and two evap coils in the box. This thing sells for $10-12k and not a single braze on it. All the refrigerant piping was dry fitted but it never got torches taken to the pipe. I sent a picture in with the warranty claim of the quality checklist attached to the unit with 3 different names saying it worked fine. Now that’s craftsmanship!

14. Likes Core_d, BALloyd liked this post.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12