+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low superheat and subcool?

Post Likes

Low superheat and subcool?

Our install department installed a brand new single stage 2 ton Carrier air conditioning unit and I was sent to do the startup. The initial indoor air temp was 69 so I ran the customer's furnace in order to bring the indoor air up to 75 degrees, the outdoor air was already at around 75 degrees. The Amana Distinctions furnace's blower fan was set on high for cooling and there was a clean air filter in the filter cabinet. After starting up the AC system and letting it run for 20 minutes the subcooling was 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit and the superheat was around 0.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Now from what I know a low subcooling means that it is low on charge but having almost no superheat means that the evaporator is flooded which normally indicates an overcharge. The installers did not add any charge, the only refrigerant in the system is what was factory charged and the line set length was roughly 25 to 30 feet. I spoke with another technician and he told me not to worry about the superheat but to focus on the subcooling and so I added a total of 1 lb 13 oz of r410a in order to bring the subcooling up to 12 degrees Fahrenheit, the data plate says 11 degrees Fahrenheit of subcooling and I was initially around 10 until I emptied what was left in my hose. The superheat was still almost nothing and I moved my pipe clamp sensor from the bottom of the suction line to the top of the suction line at the outdoor suction valve and I had a 4 degree superheat at that point. it still seems as if the evaporator is flooded, does anyone have any insight? It is just curious to me that there was almost no superheat to begin with and the subcool was low.

Post Likes
    Does this have piston , or TXV for "Cooling"....

Some have TXV for indoor unit and piston for OD unit

Personally , I would head back out when its Hotter out and re-check , but I think you have it close

Throwing heat into the house , then switching to cool is not very accurate way to test ....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jperigo View Post
    After starting up the AC system and letting it run for 20 minutes the subcooling was 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit and the superheat was around 0.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Now from what I know a low subcooling means that it is low on charge but having almost no superheat means that the evaporator is flooded which normally indicates an overcharge...I spoke with another technician and he told me not to worry about the superheat but to focus on the subcooling, so I added a total of 1 lb 13 oz of r410a in order to bring the subcooling up to 12 degrees Fahrenheit, the data plate says 11 degrees Fahrenheit of subcooling and I was initially around 10 until I emptied what was left in my hose. The superheat was still almost nothing...does anyone have any insight?
    The evaporator is flooded and the other technician gave you bad advice.

But since the other guy said charge to subcooling, we'll assume the evaporator has a TXV, in which case the initial low superheat and subcooling numbers indicate the valve is overfeeding...grossly.

Post Likes
    There is a TXV at the indoor evaporator coil and I checked and the bulb is insulated and on the suction line

Post Likes
    I would first make sure of what type of metering device you have. If it's a piston make sure it's there and that it's the proper size.
    If it's a txv check bulb etc.
    You may want to pull the charge and weight it in .
    I miss you mom and dad.

6. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just a couple thoughts. Sounds like light load most likely. I would go back when it is hotter outside and recheck your numbers. I would also pull the evaporator panel and make sure the coil is clean and unobstructed.

Verify your airflow. What was your DeltaT?

8. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    Verify your airflow. What was your DeltaT?
    DOH! With everything going on at that place I forgot DeltaT

Post Likes
    What were your saturation temps, outdoor ambient, & indoor wet and dry bulb when you calculated SH / SC?

What is model of indoor and outdoor units?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    You have a 2 ton A/C with a blower that may be 3 ton or more, verify your air flow.

You say the bulb is on the suction line and insulated was it is in the correct position/orientation?

Load may be an issue, you should go back when it is warmer.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    That doesn't seem right, does it? <g>

Is the piston the correct piston size for the condensing unit?

Is the TXV bulb firmly attached to the suction line?

A low suction superheat does not 'indicate' an overcharge. Low suction superheat is the result of too much refrigerant in the evaporator for the heating loading of the evaporator at that moment in time.

Post the startup report data:

Outdoor Ambient temperature

Condenser air temp in

Condenser air temp out

Head pressure

Suction poressure

Liquid line temperature

Suction line temperature

Air temp entering evaporator

Air temp leaving evaporator

PHM
    -----------

Our install department installed a brand new single stage 2 ton Carrier air conditioning unit and I was sent to do the startup. The initial indoor air temp was 69 so I ran the customer's furnace in order to bring the indoor air up to 75 degrees, the outdoor air was already at around 75 degrees. The Amana Distinctions furnace's blower fan was set on high for cooling and there was a clean air filter in the filter cabinet. After starting up the AC system and letting it run for 20 minutes the subcooling was 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit and the superheat was around 0.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Now from what I know a low subcooling means that it is low on charge but having almost no superheat means that the evaporator is flooded which normally indicates an overcharge. The installers did not add any charge, the only refrigerant in the system is what was factory charged and the line set length was roughly 25 to 30 feet. I spoke with another technician and he told me not to worry about the superheat but to focus on the subcooling and so I added a total of 1 lb 13 oz of r410a in order to bring the subcooling up to 12 degrees Fahrenheit, the data plate says 11 degrees Fahrenheit of subcooling and I was initially around 10 until I emptied what was left in my hose. The superheat was still almost nothing and I moved my pipe clamp sensor from the bottom of the suction line to the top of the suction line at the outdoor suction valve and I had a 4 degree superheat at that point. it still seems as if the evaporator is flooded, does anyone have any insight? It is just curious to me that there was almost no superheat to begin with and the subcool was low.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

13. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, sounds like a overfeed. But, you haven't told us if your suction pressure is slightly higher than normal or lower. Also, discharge temp can tell you if your unit will survive. Here's one the other day I found on a PM. Been running like this for 7 yrs. I think the suction accumulator allowed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The bulb is only on there for if you don't have an equalizer line.

17. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is a TXV at the indoor evaporator coil and I checked and the bulb is insulated and on the suction line
    Little heatload. Make sure the sensing bulb is on horizontal suction piping and located before the txv crossover tube that goes to the suction line.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've started up quite a few new systems that overfed...they were non-adjustable valves so no options. But all those I remember fixed themselves after a day or two's operation.

I don't know enough about valve design or construction to say what would cause the malfunction. You might try chilling the bulb in ice water with the system off. The higher off-cycle evaporator pressure and low bulb pressure would both have a closing effect on the valve which might "unstick" it.

Post Likes
    Registers all open? Blower run cap is good? Blower wheel clean? I think you did your best given the circumstances by heating up the house but that won’t really replicate an actual heatload. By the time system has stabilized the temp has probably dropped lower than what you started with. Get your pressures, sat. temps and deltaT and get back to us

Post Likes
    I spoke with my boss this morning and he wants to go back in a couple of weeks when the heat load is higher. I will let you know what I find out

Post Likes
    We'll, was coil almost freezing or was it running near 50°?

Post Likes
    I do recall that suction pressure was 113 and head pressure was 235

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    you mean about 38/80 degrees.

the only reason to own pressure gauges is to know the saturation temperature, that the language of an HVAC tech.

oops, sorry, cant help myself
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    It's probably fine. Just cool (low load) in the house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in