+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Design Engineers Do It For The Balancer.

Post Likes

Design Engineers Do It For The Balancer.

I have been ask to balance an assisted living facility by a first rate HVAC contractor. The HVAC system has never done what it should do. It has at times worked as designed but if the engineers had designed it to please the TAB guy it would work the way it should. Most of you have probably guessed one of the biggest problems is migration of bad odors. There is no make-up air in the hallways. The halls have hard ceilings and no diffusers. The rooms are served by RTU'S that do have make-up air. Needless to say the room odors including piss are pushed into the halls and go anywhere in the building the pressure profile allows. The RTU'S have barometric dump dampers (static pressure not monitored) discharging into the ceiling plenum. The rooms have VVT'S and non-ducted returns. The only way to prevent odor migration is for the hall to be at a lower pressure than the rooms. It can be done with room toilet exhaust if the toilet exhaust is high enough. It isn't and the redesign should have included ERV'S.
    This facility was designed and redesigned several years later with the result of not working again but not working in a different way.
    If you design engineers are faced with this problem remember the balancer and do it for them and everyone will be a lot happier.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That job sounds like a losing battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    They now understand that with the changes they are making now the building will be comfortable but there will be zero odor control. The contractor doing the work and myself have convinced them to install make-up units to pressurize the halls. If they follow through with that it should be a different building. They are saying the money for that will be available by the end of the summer.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Lower?

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    I have been ask to balance an assisted living facility by a first rate HVAC contractor. The HVAC system has never done what it should do. It has at times worked as designed but if the engineers had designed it to please the TAB guy it would work the way it should. Most of you have probably guessed one of the biggest problems is migration of bad odors. There is no make-up air in the hallways. The halls have hard ceilings and no diffusers. The rooms are served by RTU'S that do have make-up air. Needless to say the room odors including piss are pushed into the halls and go anywhere in the building the pressure profile allows. The RTU'S have barometric dump dampers (static pressure not monitored) discharging into the ceiling plenum. The rooms have VVT'S and non-ducted returns. The only way to prevent odor migration is for the hall to be at a lower pressure than the rooms. It can be done with room toilet exhaust if the toilet exhaust is high enough. It isn't and the redesign should have included ERV'S.
    This facility was designed and redesigned several years later with the result of not working again but not working in a different way.
    If you design engineers are faced with this problem remember the balancer and do it for them and everyone will be a lot happier.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Oh, that sounds better. Must have been a typo in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    They now understand that with the changes they are making now the building will be comfortable but there will be zero odor control. The contractor doing the work and myself have convinced them to install make-up units to pressurize the halls. If they follow through with that it should be a different building. They are saying the money for that will be available by the end of the summer.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Good catch BBeerme. The halls have to be higher.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in