Post Likes

anyone work on Follett ice machines Long story

Follette ice machine HCC1000. I was called to check this thing in our cafeteria yesterday even tho I have not official started my new position. Regular guy was out for the day. Anyway Grinding noise was the complaint. Got there it was off in delay mode ice bin close to full. Could find no test mode in the service manual so I just cycled the power and it came on just fine. Started producing Ice right away. If your not faimlar this machine makes ice billets and they are forced up a transport tube up into the bin. Everything sounding normal. It has a bin detection system that relies on the cubes backing up in the tube activates a lever that breaks a beam in a photo cell.That system did not activate when I simulated a full bin. The photo cell works. Instead it stopped the auger purged the evap of water and went into delay. Bin low light still on. I figured there was the problem until the condenser fan started making noise. Anyone ever work on one of these. Do I have 2 problems? The obvious condenser fan noise and a bin detection issue. Or just replace the fan motor and be done with it. When I asked when was the last time it was cleaned and who does it I got a blank stare. If I get the job of replacing the motor when it comes in I will call Follett to confirm normal operation. Its a little noisy for now. School is out at the end of the week. Part is ordered. Welcome to my new world (job).

Post Likes
    As with any machine download the manual...……..read and understand before doing anything

Post Likes
    I'm doing that. Manual not very clear. There is a normal purge and and delay and a fault delay and purge. Both look the same.The difference may be how full the bin actually is. I'm going to take another look today when I bring the manual back today. Ice production seemed normal yesterday. the bin was 90% full so not going to mess with it for now. Condenser fan gets noisy at times. Low bin light never went off even with full bin. Ill call tech line when I get a chance to service it again. They are shut down in the summer months so better opportunity to learn normal operation. Like anything new I have to learn the normal operation before I can find a fault.

Post Likes
    The condenser fan motors go bad somewhat frequently with the older Horizon machines, especially if they are installed under a cabinet with little ventilation and run hot. The fan assembly is not expensive to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Make sure you have the correct service manual for your machine. Follett technical documents are usually very good.

Post Likes
    The machine is under cabinet. Plenty of ice this morning. In delay mode again. Fan motor on order. Was not very loud when I checked.The service manual is from the original install. Correct serial number range. Might do some more checking on the bin sensing when I change the motor. I am still waiting on what the PM schedule has been. I'm afraid that schedule is the fix when failed process. You never need to clean your ice machine anyway right.

Post Likes
    Keep in mind this machine will shut down on time delay under several normal conditions. The time delay lamp being lit does not indicate a problem unless a red service lamp is also lit.

Post Likes
    Also, make sure you are actually seeing which lamp is actually lit. The LEDs on the board are pretty far behind the little round cutouts on the control box. If you don't look at it head on it might seem like a led is lit when it's actually the one next to it.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. Its always fun to walk up on a machine you have never worked on or seen before and the task is just fix it. Spent some good quality time reading the service manual. I'm afraid I might get stuck with all the kitchen stuff on campus. I dont think anyone in Facilities likes the stuff and me being the new guy well.

Post Likes
    If I remember correctly that machine goes into delay after 2 hours run time. I had a few condenser fan motor bearing go out on machines 10+ year old.

11. Likes MXF9283 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The noise could be coming from the auger scraping against scale build up in the evaporator or scraping against the evaporator itself if the upper and/or lower bearings are bad. You can remove the top bearing fairly easy so that you can remove the auger to inspect the auger for wear on the blades and the evaporator for scoring and scale build up. As far as the bin issues, I've only worked on follets that have a cap tube type bin stat that will shut it down when it makes contact with ice.

Here's a link to remove the bearings and evaporator auger:
    https://www.follettice.com/file/1572...token=0b3amjfs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reeferrat View Post
    The noise could be coming from the auger scraping against scale build up in the evaporator or scraping against the evaporator itself if the upper and/or lower bearings are bad. You can remove the top bearing fairly easy so that you can remove the auger to inspect the auger for wear on the blades and the evaporator for scoring and scale build up. As far as the bin issues, I've only worked on follets that have a cap tube type bin stat that will shut it down when it makes contact with ice.

Here's a link to remove the bearings and evaporator auger:
    https://www.follettice.com/file/1572...token=0b3amjfs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HCC-1000 has a horizontal auger your thinking more Maestro ice machine. I never seen Horizon Chewblet Machine bearing go bad. Most of time the shaft seal does goes bad and leaks water due to lack of cleaning.

Post Likes
    The Horizon machines don't have bearings like the Maestro machines. There is a ceramic bushing and journal at the rear end of the auger, and the gearmotor supports the forward end. I have replaced a few rear bushing/housing assemblies, mostly in brand new units.