Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Thanks for your input, guys. I guess I'd like to take a poll...who thinks I should have a wire coming out of my BK terminal on the thermostat?

Who thinks it will make a difference?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I don't think the Nexia counts the blower time as run time. So if the Nexia is showing 4 minutes run time on enhanced mode I believe that you will have 1 minute at 50%, 3 minutes at 80%, then the unit would shut off and the blower would continue to run for 3 minutes at 50%. This may not be uncommon in low load situations.
    My question is why there wouldn't at least be a minimum of 8.5 minutes of compressor time?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracepreacher View Post
    My question is why there wouldn't at least be a minimum of 8.5 minutes of compressor time?
    The timing is just for the blower ramp up. The thermostat can shut the cooling down whenever temperature is reached, or heating in the case of a heat pump.

Post Likes
    Thank you for clarifying that, BNME.

Post Likes
    I’d hook it up the bk wire, it’s going to help to some extent with the humidity and will be much less costly to run like that than to overcool the building

Post Likes
    Another question as I give my contractor another few days to make this right before moving on to another...

If Enhanced Mode always blows the fan for 3 minutes on each cooling cycle after it runs the compressor, how is that not having a negative effect on humidity? I thought enhanced mode was to help with humidity by running at times on lower fan speeds, which makes sense, but is it possible that all of that is negated by the fan running without a compressor for another three (especially in my case when the compressor has ran as little as four minutes and at most in the daytime around 11-12). Temps have now consistently been in the upper 80's for week...around 70 at night. I've always heard that running the fan without compressor is a no no for humidity control.

Post Likes
    You would be correct on that, so yes you do get some re-evaporation of the water you removed. A couple things to think about.

When the systems starts the blower is running at 50% so the coil gets cold faster so it starts pulling water faster. After a minute it goes to 80%, the coil stays cold but is in contact with more air so more moisture is removed for the next 7.5 minutes or how ever much shorter the cycle is when it doesn't run for the whole 7.5 minutes.

The fan is running at 50% so not moving as much air, not evaporating as much as if it was 100% like most blowers.

The other thing is Trane coils have sloped shallow drain pans, they hold very little water so the only water to evaporate is what is in the finpack.

The bottom line is you are gaining, just not as much as you would be with a longer cycle.

Post Likes

Is this really Enhanced Mode?

I don't know forum rules super well, but I want to be respectful of them. Here are my dip switches. If it is allowed, can someone verify whether this is truly in enhanced mode? Also...when using enhanced mode, do settings have to be changed in the thermostat installer setup menu? Because I just don't think that happened, looking through the menus. I guess I'm trying to verify if this is a difference of opinion of installation, or if I'm actually in danger of damaging anything with the setup that was left for us.

1-off
    2-on
    3-off
    4-7-on
    8-off

I cannot get the installer to come back out, and it's tough to consider paying a service call to another company after paying for a system, but I'm getting there. Any external verification helps me know my next move and how important it is that I move sooner than later, or if I'm good to wait until next shoulder season now that the heat load is picking up here in Texas...as an original piece of advice earlier in this thread was to wait and see. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Yes you are in enhanced mode

Post Likes
    Thank you. And did I read not to go under 400 cfm for Enhanced Mode? Because it seems like I might be well under that...especially when it is running at 50%...but I don't really get this stuff. I would like to feel better about my investment than I do at the moment.

Post Likes
    Three minutes of extended run time is will not make much differenycce on moisture re-evaporation at the end of the cooling cycle. The high the sensible cooling loads, the more moisture will be removed. If the a/c is setup ideally, a +50% cooling cycle will get you to 50%RH. If not you need to slow the air flow, The enhanced mode on most units slows the fan more. I suggest the slower fan speed all the time the a/c is cooling. The idea of slowing the fan only during time that the set point is reach with high, only provides more moisture removed until the t-sat reaches the 3^F below the setpoint.
    Removing max moisture whenever possible is a big deal. This increases the run time and nearly doubles the amount of moisture removed.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Three minutes of extended run time is will not make much differenycce on moisture re-evaporation at the end of the cooling cycle. The high the sensible cooling loads, the more moisture will be removed. If the a/c is setup ideally, a +50% cooling cycle will get you to 50%RH. If not you need to slow the air flow, The enhanced mode on most units slows the fan more. I suggest the slower fan speed all the time the a/c is cooling. The idea of slowing the fan only during time that the set point is reach with high, only provides more moisture removed until the t-sat reaches the 3^F below the setpoint.
    Removing max moisture whenever possible is a big deal. This increases the run time and nearly doubles the amount of moisture removed.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    I'm not sure of your suggestion...run fan on low? Run enhanced mode? Set up BK? As a reminder, I'm currently set up with fan on low, but in Enhanced Mode.

Post Likes
    My post was confusing and had wrong wording, sorry.

Here is my point. You need to max the moisture removed! "enhanced" waits until the a/c reaches the t-stat setpoint, then if the %RH is above the your setting, the controller drops the air flow to increase dehumidification, then over-cools 3^F below set point max, then shuts off.
    Better to set air flow lower for all cooling, this starts at the lower air flow with t-stat set, you can set t-stat 3^F colder. All cooling time is at the lower airflow/lower coil temp/increased moisture removal. This maxes moisture moved/slows sensible cooling/ maxes total run time for the entire cooling time.
    You need a skilled tech on site to max the moisture removed by the a/c. We need an a/c coil temperature 30^F below the return air temperature that you want in your home. At home temperature of 75^F, 50%RH, a 55^F dew point, the a/c coil must be <45^F with a 49^F dew point supply air. This should make sense to a skilled tech.
    Then add a whole house dehumidifier. Adding a dehumidifier before making your a/c produce air 5-7^F lower dew point air than the desired final dew point in your home is not ideal.
    I realize this is confusing even to many techs.

I have learned this the hard way.
    The a/c (and/or) dehumidifier must be both be able to reduce the moisture level (dew point) of the supply air -6^F below the desired dew point in the living space. Dehu and A/c are a team. (for techs only)

Hope this helps.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast