+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replaced Cap , then it never came back on

Post Likes

Replaced Cap , then it never came back on

Carrier 3 ton HP , probly under 5 years old

I wish people would LISTEN TO ME when I say TURN IT OFF and I will get there soon as I can

Well it took me a day , and they apparently didn't call for a day to begin with , so the poor thing was hot as hell for 48 hours trying to kick on with a bad run cap

I get there and fan was running , replaced 40/5 with a 45/5 Titan HD

Waited 45 minutes sitting next to unit with my ear listening for anything , just the fan was running , figured would be a great time to order parts online , but it never tried to start , so I left and told them it may take another hour

2 hours later they said it never came back on

Im going back today to check it .... and wondering .... is this one of those times you guys grab the 2x4 and whack the sob hard as hell ?

Ive read where others had good luck whacking them ....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

I wish people would LISTEN TO ME when I say TURN IT OFF and I will get there soon as I can

Well it took me a day , and they apparently didn't call for a day to begin with , so the poor thing was hot as hell for 48 hours trying to kick on with a bad run cap

Waited 45 minutes sitting next to unit with my ear listening for anything , just the fan was running , figured would be a great time to order parts online , but it never tried to start , so I left and told them it may take another hour

Im going back today to check it .... and wondering .... is this one of those times you guys grab the 2x4 and whack the sob hard as hell ?

It may never turn back "ON" if the overload switch is stuck "OPEN" from to many cycles.

Running water over the compressor will sometimes cool it faster, allowing the overload switch to "CLOSE" sooner.

What is the model number of this unit?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

3. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Agreed with slow trickle of water on compressor head.

If it doesn't reset in 20 - 30 mins, pull the disconnect and come back the next day. (That's what they get for not pulling it first)

5. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Didnt take any pictures of model because I thought it would kick on like all the rest usually do ....

Post Likes
    Didnt take any pictures of model because I thought it would kick on like all the rest usually do ....
    O.k. I was going to look it up and make sure the correct Capacitor was installed.

You can’t always go by what was previously installed.

Post Likes
    If I get a compressor that is pistol hot, I just disable the unit and return the next day. When I first got in the trade, I'd put a bag of ice on top of the compressor. I soon learned that you can waste a lot of time doing that. Even if the compressor starts, the internal temps and higher amps can allow the comp to trip out again. Soon learned that it just wasn't worth my time.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Yep, they cooked this one too
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    25HBC530A0030060

2114E13239

Looks like may be warranty

Post Likes
    25HBC530A0030060

2114E13239

Looks like may be warranty
    40 + 5 mfd 440 volt cap is required for this model per the parts list.

10 years limited parts warranty if registered by original owner should be in effect.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

12. Likes shavedneon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've had thermal over loads that would not reset with power applied. Turn off the disconnect, and then back on, and the compressor started.

14. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Sounds like some electronics would be involved there.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I've had thermal over loads that would not reset with power applied. Turn off the disconnect, and then back on, and the compressor started.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Definitely need to cool the compressor it’s probably out on IOL.
    I would ohm out windings to prove it then cool it with water )won’t give too many details due to the rules of the site). BTW I have yet to apply for Pro membership. Would a copy of C20 help boost speed?

Post Likes
    Send in a jug of Patrone and things may move faster ....

Yea I always pull disconnect and let sit over night before final judgement

Post Likes
    Ive had good luck turning them off and putting a hose on them, when you let it drain and its cool hit it with the hose for another ten minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

I have whacked my share with a rubber, and plastic dead blow hammer, but only after making sure all the other things checked out such as wiring to the compressor., as well as inside the compressor, start contactor points, etc. I have also gone to the liquid 22 spray (long-long ago, (B.C.), Before Chlorine), as well as ice, cold rags etc. "What Ever It Took/Takes"

Post Likes
    If it’s a refrigeration type call you can sometimes open your gauges and send a bit of liquid in, to cool those hot windings. Be careful, but it does work, and fast.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Sounds like some electronics would be involved there.
    No. Just wouldn't close while the contactor was closed.

Post Likes
    I went on an old Trane unit once (back when they actually were hard to stop) that had been left "ON" for three days, running essentially in a vacuum due to loss of charge. The compressor eventually got very hot after tripping the IOL who knows how many times.

I managed to find the leak, repair it and get some freon in the system. There was no readily accessible water to cool the compressor. I got a bag of ice (maybe two) to lay on top of the compressor for several hours but the OL never reset by the end of the day.

Told the owner we'd give it overnight to rest and recuperate before condemning the compressor...went back next morning, IOL was closed and it took off. That was 10 years ago and it's still running today.

Post Likes
    This one I took out , set on the ground , and I figured the Limit would reset while I took my hammer and Im beating the hell out of the ports to shut them up so I can braze them , nope , still OL after all that . Oh well

Post Likes
    This one I took out , set on the ground , and I figured the Limit would reset while I took my hammer and Im beating the hell out of the ports to shut them up so I can braze them , nope , still OL after all that . Oh well
    Well you can't win 'em all... When I do win, I credit it to luck and just livin' right...and then, mostly luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in