Post Likes

Hanging Spiral Duct

I have Sammy's with 3/8" threaded rod dropped from the joists every 8' to hang some 12" spiral. How do you guys go about attaching threaded rod to your duct. I originally wanted to use steel wire, but the builder decided to drop the ceiling where my run is so now I only have 9' (might have to resize now too ... ). I know a lot of people hang their ducts directly from the rod, but how do they secure it? Do you just use a locknut? I'm worried it'll eventually loosen from vibrations. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I do think it'd look better than the 16 gauge 2" double/single-rod hangers, and it'd buy me a little space.

Oh yeah ... first post

Post Likes
    You could wrap it with a strip of heavy gauge sheet metal, hole in each end goes on the threaded rod, with nut and fender washer above and below.

Post Likes
    Welcome to the site

Post Likes
    Ive used cables, single sling or both sides. I have a chart somewhere that lists sizes and weights the cable can support. Also used metal strapping, but for my personal shop I drilled a hole both top and bottom and nut and washer underneath. Ive used the same method on jobs that had limited height.

There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. I think I'll pop it through the bottom and hit the threads with some blue Loctite to make sure it doesn't work itself loose. I'll throw a 1" fender washer on it for good measure. The load shouldn't be more than 50 lbs. for each support so that should be pretty solid. The strip of sheet metal would be nice, but these people are really picky and I don't think they'll go for it. We'll see what the building inspector says Thursday.

Post Likes
    I would spend too much time with loctite or lock nuts, maybe double nut the bottom. Mine has been hanging for 12+ years TONS of vibration from high HP engines, air compressor, and Im near the Air Force base (some of these planes shake the entire house). None of mine have fallen off or loosened anything noticeable.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Check out the Sheet Metal Connectors,Inc. catalog, pg.17/18 or so.

Post Likes
    I can't imagine running the threaded rod through the duct is a kosher practice for a professional installation.

Don't they make similar hangars to what plumbers use? Where the threaded rod goes into a circular sheet metal strap type apparatus?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Likes Zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    Forget the rod. Use cable, faster, easier and cleaner looking

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

11. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I usually use cable, but I dont have clearance for this install. I was originally thinking just punch it through the top so the rod isnt exposed underneath, but itd still be able to sway. For plumbing I typically use clevis or Milford hangers, depending on the size of the pipe. Ill probably just go with the clevis hangers and switch to saddle diffusers with scoops to make up for the drop ... I was trying to avoid a change order, but Im not really excited about dumping another $800 in material into the job either 😐