Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Does this home have high ceilings that could run exposed ducting inside? That would be a little cheaper than on the roof. Agreed that ductless will look nicer, and possibly cheaper than doing hard duct on the roof again.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JakRabbit View Post
    I was called to a home with a flat roof because the ductwork was leaking air and that it was! This was more of a commercial design then residential except the idiots put the duct on the rooftop and didn't insulate the exterior. The seal has ruined and now the duct is rusted so bad it has to be replaced. In commercial application I would just get new duct and have a insulator come out to finish it up making for a nice job. These customers however will not pay for that type of installation and I can't say I would blame them. This is a job in NC where our winters are below freezing and summers can hang in the 90's for weeks. The unit is a 1995 Trane package....

My question is where do I go from here?

1. I want to scrap all this and just do mini split multi-zone unit. But its hard to explain to a customer when the unit works and surprising well except for the fact they are helping cool the outside more then their home.

2. Just insulate the duct as is? I mean its rusted and just bad... But if it is only going to last a few more years before its ripped off the roof who cares.

3. What duct do I go back with? I was thinking just do round ductwork and wrap it with insulation like armaflex outdoor rated and glue. I don't have alot of experience here and that is why I am looking for ideas.

4. Run... Run very far away. I kind of like this option the best

ThanksAttachment 808668Attachment 808669
    When you say get an insulator to come out to finish it up

Are you saying externally wrap with Insulation and clad with something, What do you guys use over there PVC finish ?

Do they not make weather sealed internally insulated duct in the states ?

Post Likes
    If your not sure how to proceed reducting on top of the roof, and since you’ll be responsible for any roof leaks, just bid minis. If they don’t like it, oh well!

Post Likes
    Some jobs, you mjust have to walk away....

Post Likes
    I like the Multi port Ductless option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12