Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 36 of 36
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    26,277
    Post Likes
    It really was something to see. You could drive your truck through the air ducts. <g>

    One time I saw a jam happen on the hot line. A red hot glowing rod about a foot square was running and the line was so long (inside you couldn't see one end of the building from the other end) that by the time the feed operators got the message that the line was jammed, the room (maybe 80 feet high inside and about 250 feet wide) was Filled with huge tangles of this foot square steel. Like huge ribbons looped everywhere.

    I had no idea what was going on but a bunch of guys scrambled and a clear-the-area alarm sounded. We (I was working for the fire department on the Cardox refrigeration) took cover and somebody somewhere hit a switch. There was a deafening sound and literally in a second - like a blink - those huge tangles of this giant steel rod were GONE! Stretched out straight again. It was like an out-of-body experience - I just knew that my eyes were wrong somehow.

    Later it was explained to me that originally when that happened everything shut down and guys with cutting torches would have to spends days cutting out all the tangled piled up loops of steel.

    But more recently they had installed a steam ram - the exact same thing that launches airplanes off a Carrier deck - under the rolling line. What they had done this time was to attach a clamp onto the end of the steel and fire the ram. And it snatched that steel rod straight again in a Second. It was one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen. One minute the entire huge building was filled with huge loops and tangles of red steel - and then A Blink later it was all gone - back on the cooling deck like nothing had ever happened.

    The scale and the power of the place was staggering and humbling. It was like you had proudly worked on tinker toys your whole life and then been shown what Real Machines were. It made me even prouder to be an American and at least a tiny part what American Promise really is.

    PHM
    ---------------




    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Thanks Poodle,
    I have never seen a steel mill anywhere close to that big.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  2. Likes Brian8383 liked this post
  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    24,434
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It really was something to see. You could drive your truck through the air ducts. <g>

    One time I saw a jam happen on the hot line. A red hot glowing rod about a foot square was running and the line was so long (inside you couldn't see one end of the building from the other end) that by the time the feed operators got the message that the line was jammed, the room (maybe 80 feet high inside and about 250 feet wide) was Filled with huge tangles of this foot square steel. Like huge ribbons looped everywhere.

    I had no idea what was going on but a bunch of guys scrambled and a clear-the-area alarm sounded. We (I was working for the fire department on the Cardox refrigeration) took cover and somebody somewhere hit a switch. There was a deafening sound and literally in a second - like a blink - those huge tangles of this giant steel rod were GONE! Stretched out straight again. It was like an out-of-body experience - I just knew that my eyes were wrong somehow.

    Later it was explained to me that originally when that happened everything shut down and guys with cutting torches would have to spends days cutting out all the tangled piled up loops of steel.

    But more recently they had installed a steam ram - the exact same thing that launches airplanes off a Carrier deck - under the rolling line. What they had done this time was to attach a clamp onto the end of the steel and fire the ram. And it snatched that steel rod straight again in a Second. It was one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen. One minute the entire huge building was filled with huge loops and tangles of red steel - and then A Blink later it was all gone - back on the cooling deck like nothing had ever happened.

    The scale and the power of the place was staggering and humbling. It was like you had proudly worked on tinker toys your whole life and then been shown what Real Machines were. It made me even prouder to be an American and at least a tiny part what American Promise really is.

    PHM
    ---------------
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,808
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It really was something to see. You could drive your truck through the air ducts. <g>

    One time I saw a jam happen on the hot line. A red hot glowing rod about a foot square was running and the line was so long (inside you couldn't see one end of the building from the other end) that by the time the feed operators got the message that the line was jammed, the room (maybe 80 feet high inside and about 250 feet wide) was Filled with huge tangles of this foot square steel. Like huge ribbons looped everywhere.

    I had no idea what was going on but a bunch of guys scrambled and a clear-the-area alarm sounded. We (I was working for the fire department on the Cardox refrigeration) took cover and somebody somewhere hit a switch. There was a deafening sound and literally in a second - like a blink - those huge tangles of this giant steel rod were GONE! Stretched out straight again. It was like an out-of-body experience - I just knew that my eyes were wrong somehow.

    Later it was explained to me that originally when that happened everything shut down and guys with cutting torches would have to spends days cutting out all the tangled piled up loops of steel.

    But more recently they had installed a steam ram - the exact same thing that launches airplanes off a Carrier deck - under the rolling line. What they had done this time was to attach a clamp onto the end of the steel and fire the ram. And it snatched that steel rod straight again in a Second. It was one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen. One minute the entire huge building was filled with huge loops and tangles of red steel - and then A Blink later it was all gone - back on the cooling deck like nothing had ever happened.

    The scale and the power of the place was staggering and humbling. It was like you had proudly worked on tinker toys your whole life and then been shown what Real Machines were. It made me even prouder to be an American and at least a tiny part what American Promise really is.

    PHM
    ---------------
    Amazing. I would have loved to witness thag.
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,808
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It really was something to see. You could drive your truck through the air ducts. <g>

    One time I saw a jam happen on the hot line. A red hot glowing rod about a foot square was running and the line was so long (inside you couldn't see one end of the building from the other end) that by the time the feed operators got the message that the line was jammed, the room (maybe 80 feet high inside and about 250 feet wide) was Filled with huge tangles of this foot square steel. Like huge ribbons looped everywhere.

    I had no idea what was going on but a bunch of guys scrambled and a clear-the-area alarm sounded. We (I was working for the fire department on the Cardox refrigeration) took cover and somebody somewhere hit a switch. There was a deafening sound and literally in a second - like a blink - those huge tangles of this giant steel rod were GONE! Stretched out straight again. It was like an out-of-body experience - I just knew that my eyes were wrong somehow.

    Later it was explained to me that originally when that happened everything shut down and guys with cutting torches would have to spends days cutting out all the tangled piled up loops of steel.

    But more recently they had installed a steam ram - the exact same thing that launches airplanes off a Carrier deck - under the rolling line. What they had done this time was to attach a clamp onto the end of the steel and fire the ram. And it snatched that steel rod straight again in a Second. It was one of the most astonishing things I have ever seen. One minute the entire huge building was filled with huge loops and tangles of red steel - and then A Blink later it was all gone - back on the cooling deck like nothing had ever happened.

    The scale and the power of the place was staggering and humbling. It was like you had proudly worked on tinker toys your whole life and then been shown what Real Machines were. It made me even prouder to be an American and at least a tiny part what American Promise really is.

    PHM
    ---------------
    I searched on YouTube. I'm was sure someone had a video of what PHM described.

    It's called a cobble.

    Seach for "steele mill cobble" . There's a bunch of cool videos.

    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,808
    Post Likes
    Clowns.
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)


    “What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,556
    Post Likes
    Wage Growth for Low Income Workers Doubles Wage Growth for High Income Workers…
    .
    An interesting article within The Atlantic draws attention to one of the more intended consequences of Maganomics: wages for the middle-class Americans are rising twice as fast as wages for high-income earners.



    Yes, President Trump is closing the wealth gap.

    This dynamic is directly attached to President Trump’s MAGAnomic policy that focuses wage and income benefit directly to Main Street, “production economy”; and reverses the process that was driving benefit to U.S. multinationals on Wall Street, the “service-driven” economy. As noted in The Atlantic:
    .
    […] According to analysis by Nick Bunker, an economist with the jobs site Indeed, wage growth is currently strongest for workers in low-wage industries, such as clothing stores, supermarkets, amusement parks, and casinos. And earnings are growing most slowly in higher-wage industries, such as medical labs, law firms, and broadcasting and telecom companies. (more)

    While there are not technically going to be direct losers in a Main Street economy, there will undoubtedly be some amid the investment class who will be lesser-winners.

    The reasoning is really quite simple. There are many people attached to the Wall Street economy who ran-up wealth via the process of de-industrialization of America.

    Anyone who gained income through the process of multinational export of investment and jobs, specifically U.S. based multinationals, are naturally going to see negative impact as the reverse takes place.

    Multinational investment assets held overseas are precariously positioned, as the Trump’s ‘America-First’ trade policy starts to get teeth. Any U.S. corporation who attempts to fight against the tariff process will find themselves expending a large amount of money while simultaneously losing the ‘price’ advantage;…. And they will be simultaneously positioned to lose market share to U.S-based, or North American-based, competition.

    This is why the USMCA becomes important. Once the USMCA is ratified it gives U.S. multinationals a definitive long-term position, from which they can calculate their costs.

    A tenuous supply chain/manufacturing position in China or Asia, with unknown short-term risks to rising production costs, can be reconciled against a North American supply chain and/or manufacturing position that is well defined and predictable.

    It is within this policy dynamic where the ultimate MAGAnomic winners and losers will be found. Right now the multinationals are trying to keep prior Asia investments viable; however, the clock is ticking. Those unknown variables have a cost.

    “The first loss is the best loss“… and right now President Trump is pressuring U.S. corporations to consider this truism carefully.

    https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ncome-workers/
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    20,697
    Post Likes
    Obama wave still chugging along...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    24,434
    Post Likes
    There was never an obummer wave.

    Don't you remember his claim of the "new normal" ?

    Which was a continued depressed economy.

    I know you are not that stupid or ignorant.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    napping on the couch
    Posts
    12,808
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Wage Growth for Low Income Workers Doubles Wage Growth for High Income Workers…
    .
    An interesting article within The Atlantic draws attention to one of the more intended consequences of Maganomics: wages for the middle-class Americans are rising twice as fast as wages for high-income earners.



    Yes, President Trump is closing the wealth gap.

    This dynamic is directly attached to President Trump’s MAGAnomic policy that focuses wage and income benefit directly to Main Street, “production economy”; and reverses the process that was driving benefit to U.S. multinationals on Wall Street, the “service-driven” economy. As noted in The Atlantic:
    .
    […] According to analysis by Nick Bunker, an economist with the jobs site Indeed, wage growth is currently strongest for workers in low-wage industries, such as clothing stores, supermarkets, amusement parks, and casinos. And earnings are growing most slowly in higher-wage industries, such as medical labs, law firms, and broadcasting and telecom companies. (more)

    While there are not technically going to be direct losers in a Main Street economy, there will undoubtedly be some amid the investment class who will be lesser-winners.

    The reasoning is really quite simple. There are many people attached to the Wall Street economy who ran-up wealth via the process of de-industrialization of America.

    Anyone who gained income through the process of multinational export of investment and jobs, specifically U.S. based multinationals, are naturally going to see negative impact as the reverse takes place.

    Multinational investment assets held overseas are precariously positioned, as the Trump’s ‘America-First’ trade policy starts to get teeth. Any U.S. corporation who attempts to fight against the tariff process will find themselves expending a large amount of money while simultaneously losing the ‘price’ advantage;…. And they will be simultaneously positioned to lose market share to U.S-based, or North American-based, competition.

    This is why the USMCA becomes important. Once the USMCA is ratified it gives U.S. multinationals a definitive long-term position, from which they can calculate their costs.

    A tenuous supply chain/manufacturing position in China or Asia, with unknown short-term risks to rising production costs, can be reconciled against a North American supply chain and/or manufacturing position that is well defined and predictable.

    It is within this policy dynamic where the ultimate MAGAnomic winners and losers will be found. Right now the multinationals are trying to keep prior Asia investments viable; however, the clock is ticking. Those unknown variables have a cost.

    “The first loss is the best loss“… and right now President Trump is pressuring U.S. corporations to consider this truism carefully.

    https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ncome-workers/
    None of this matters to the liberals/left. What they say they care about isn't at all what they care about.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    6,556
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    None of this matters to the liberals/left. What they say they care about isn't at all what they care about.
    Nevertheless, it's another campaign issue that has been removed from the Dem war chest.

    They may not have cared about the issue, but they would have pretended to.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •