Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pulsing in TXV

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    ...all of those temp measurements....are irrelevant and mean nothing till the problem is corrected.
    Superheat and subcooling are never ever irrelevant in system analysis...

Post Likes
    The superheat, subcooling, and air temps are all needed to tell if the txv is actually the problem or if there’s a liquid restriction or just a low load. The OP found a dirty blower wheel, so the problem could’ve just been low load.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    The superheat, subcooling, and air temps are all needed to tell if the txv is actually the problem or if there’s a liquid restriction or just a low load. The OP found a dirty blower wheel, so the problem could’ve just been low load.
    Agreed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    high side is 305 PSI, thats 132 deg SST by the forane P/T chart, how hot was it outside today?
    Sorry it has been pretty busy so this is the first chance I've had to see these responses.

Outdoor entering air was 82 in the shade and 87 on side with direct sunlight. By the time I unhooked (had to get to some calls) suction had dropped to 65. I've been too busy to even look at it since then. As I said, I need to clean blower wheel and though coils look pretty good they could stand cleaning too for good measure.

Just to address the lack of info in the OP, a primary question was in regards to the pulsing in the TXV. A better way to describe it (now that I've had a chance to think about it as I mourn my beloved XL, lol) might be if someone took a steel rod and hit steel under water. I've been around a lot of systems shutting down over the years and have never heard this sound before. My first thought on the initial diagnosis (if you can call a quick look a diagnostic) was that due to the pressure readings it indicated the TXV was goofy, so not having a lot of time I didn't get to in-depth at that time. At this point I am thinking the TXV was stuck initially, because of the pressures and failure to get any movement with additional charge. We hadn't run AC this year and when we started it up it wasn't working. So it had only run in heat 4-5 months prior.

And I am not sure where I said the liquid line was colder than outdoor temps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by S.T.Ranger View Post
    Sorry it has been pretty busy so this is the first chance I've had to see these responses.

Outdoor entering air was 82 in the shade and 87 on side with direct sunlight. By the time I unhooked (had to get to some calls) suction had dropped to 65. I've been too busy to even look at it since then. As I said, I need to clean blower wheel and though coils look pretty good they could stand cleaning too for good measure.

Just to address the lack of info in the OP, a primary question was in regards to the pulsing in the TXV. A better way to describe it (now that I've had a chance to think about it as I mourn my beloved XL, lol) might be if someone took a steel rod and hit steel under water. I've been around a lot of systems shutting down over the years and have never heard this sound before. My first thought on the initial diagnosis (if you can call a quick look a diagnostic) was that due to the pressure readings it indicated the TXV was goofy, so not having a lot of time I didn't get to in-depth at that time. At this point I am thinking the TXV was stuck initially, because of the pressures and failure to get any movement with additional charge. We hadn't run AC this year and when we started it up it wasn't working. So it had only run in heat 4-5 months prior.

And I am not sure where I said the liquid line was colder than outdoor temps.
    I know my recently new Armstrong HP when I installed it, the gauges I used apparently weren't reading correctly, so I inadvertently over charged the system and it did a lot of weird things, to the point that I pulled the charge and replaced with new 410A, and a different set of gauges and it started acting better, but it wasn't until I bought and used the Testo and was able to really look at all of the gauges I have, there is as much as 20 psi difference between them all and none of them read the exact same, I charged per the data plate with the Testo's and It is cooling the best it ever has, runs good in heat mode and all of the other weird problems went away.

Post Likes
    Ice-thaw-ice-thaw-ice-thaw.... Moisture in system.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234