+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Unique issues causing coil to freeze.

Post Likes
    I put the freeze stat on and haven’t been back. They got tired of me being there so I figured I’d give them a break as long as their house was keeping temp and he said it is. But in my mind I know it’s not right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prowelder View Post
    I put the freeze stat on and haven’t been back. They got tired of me being there so I figured I’d give them a break as long as their house was keeping temp and he said it is. But in my mind I know it’s not right.
    There are varying degrees of "right." Not as much variation if you're a perfectionist...

All the numbers you have posted don't indicate a "chronic" airflow issue...if the best you could have gotten was a 33-34˚ coil then extreme low load indoor conditions could have led to frosting.

Something was going on for sure...but if the freeze stat fixed it and HO is happy, the degree of "right" is close enough IMO. I walk away from stuff every day that isn't "optimum" and would kinda' like to mess with it a while to see what's going on. But if you fix an electrical issue, then find a 35˚ coil, you can bet the 35˚ coil has been going on long term. And for me, it's a can of worms best left unopened...

Post Likes
    You are exactly right on all points there. I am sort of a perfectionist but more so just want to make sure no one can come behind me and point the finger at me for something.

From reading on this site I get the impression that there is a “right” and “wrong” way of doing things and if it ain’t exactly “right” then it is wrong and a hack job and I don’t want that kind of label from anyone anywhere...internet included.

Post Likes
    Sometimes you have to fake it until you make it.

When I first got into the trade, I was getting so much information that just wasn't right. No Internet back then. Then when the Internet did come along, it was NOTHING like it is today!

You do the best you can, with the best information you can get your hands on, and at each step, that learning curve tends to cease it's steep rise. You just don't want that learning curve to go completely flat, or begin to curve down.

You are exactly right on all points there. I am sort of a perfectionist but more so just want to make sure no one can come behind me and point the finger at me for something.

From reading on this site I get the impression that there is a “right” and “wrong” way of doing things and if it ain’t exactly “right” then it is wrong and a hack job and I don’t want that kind of label from anyone anywhere...internet included.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all your help guys, I live by my own motto that if I’m not learning something everyday I’ve wasted the day. I strive for knowledge everyday and generally live up to that everyday. Keeps life interesting!

Post Likes
    Sometimes it is multiple issues all coming together in a perfect storm. For example, if doing a PM and I run across an RTU (commercial) with only a 12 or 14*F temp split, I hardly give it a second thought any more. When the customer complains, then I'll dive into it and tell them what is going on.

Why don't I care any more?

Actually, I do. I just don't care to waste unbillable man hours during a quoted PM, or to waste the customer's money when they have no complaints. One exception might be something like a server room, then I'll bring discrepancies to everyone's attention. If for no other reason to cover my butt.

Think about it, to see a unit with a low split could be a combination of too much airflow, possible broken ducting, slightly restricted orifices in the evap header, dirty condenser, weak compressor, and who knows what else. You can't just fix one thing and expect the unit to perform up to spec.

When the customer does complain, then I'm your man. I'll go in and give a report that will detail any and all discrepancies that can possibly be known without doing other recommended repairs. And I can usually spell it out in such a manner that the customer, my employer, and co-workers can all understand. Takes a bit of experience to get to that point.

Or at least to spell out a game plan that is the most prudent and cost effective.

Can never explain some things to the bean counters, no matter who those bean counters work for. They live binary world. Yes/no, black/white, broken/not broken, etc.

Thanks for all your help guys, I live by my own motto that if I’m not learning something everyday I’ve wasted the day. I strive for knowledge everyday and generally live up to that everyday. Keeps life interesting!
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I spend most of my time on commercial roofs as well and while doing pm’s most discrepancies get noted and I move on. But this was at a local baseball coach’s home and don’t want any reason for someone to say anything negative about the job I did. I was just trying to help him out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in