Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Sitelink local access

I've read a USB-K cable is needed to access the local access port on a sitelink. Is this just a USB to RS485 cable?

Thanks

Stan

Post Likes
    Yes.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Cool! Thanks!

Did you used to worked for Liebert? I remember a fellow name Scott that worked there. Can't recall his last name though. I think he took Wes's place when he retired many years ago. I met Wes and Scott not too long before Wes retired.

Stan

Post Likes
    Yes, I was with Liebert in California and Massachusetts. Ten years total.

Post Likes
    Cool! I thought you might be one of the fellows that was with Wes when they came to the place I work many years ago. I don't think you are though. I learned a fair amount about sitescan and sitebuilder from watching Wes and other Liebert/Emerson techs that came onsite to upgrade and add things in sitescan. No expert by any stretch, but I know my way around it pretty well.

What I'm trying to accomplish is change the IPs on a couple of sitelink-e's that are in some Liebert FPC's that power the lab in a mini data center we put back in the old data center after it was remodeled.. Originally we had a sitescan system in the old data center that these were in. No more sitescan system now. But I'm wondering if the sitelink-e's will talk MODBUS I know they were configured for BACnet. It's been too long, I can't remember if they were also configured for MODBUS. If so, I can add them in NEO since it's pretty easy to configure MODBUS in NEO. Like I said before, BACnet is another bowl of wax in NEO. If the sitelink-e's won't do what I want; I guess the other option is another controller. Bill at Vertiv told me these FPC's talk MODBUS natively.

Thanks for your help.

Stan

Post Likes
    I did national tech support and flew all over this half of the world doing that stuff. I'm trying to picture Wes but I'm failing, name sounds familiar though. All my Liebert knowledge is out of date now but they used to have a edit graphic for the equipment that would write in the third party modbus URLs to the equipment, one click per device connected to do that. Then any one had a button to configure the driver, only need be done on one. Very easy if all that works. Lots of typing if it doesn't to get the URLs straight. Driver is easy to set up manually.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

Post Likes
    Ok.

Wes was the sitescan guru in Columbus. It's been too long, I can't recall his last name. He was a bit set in his ways is how I'd describe him.

If I get a serial to RS-485 adapter and make a cable, do you know the pinout of the 5 pin local access connector on the sitelink-e? Or can the RNET port be used for local access also?

Stan

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I did national tech support and flew all over this half of the world doing that stuff. I'm trying to picture Wes but I'm failing, name sounds familiar though. All my Liebert knowledge is out of date now but they used to have a edit graphic for the equipment that would write in the third party modbus URLs to the equipment, one click per device connected to do that. Then any one had a button to configure the driver, only need be done on one. Very easy if all that works. Lots of typing if it doesn't to get the URLs straight. Driver is easy to set up manually.
    Man, way off topic. Guess you knew Shalabh?
    Controls, the cause of... and solution to... all your HVAC problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stan-g View Post
    ~ can the RNET port be used for local access also?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    Man, way off topic. Guess you knew Shalabh?
    Gupta I think was his last name. Believe we met a couple times but we were all work from home people in Monitoring NTS and rarely got together as a group.

Post Likes
    Ok. Thanks.

We did stray a bit off topic, but I thought you were someone I met long ago. Looks like that's not the case. Sorry moderator.

Will see what I can come up with when I get the RS-485 adapter.

Unsure what you mean about the URL's. Is the sitelink-e a standalone web server like a JCI NAE? Or does Automated Logic do like EMC did long ago with a web interface that's accessible via a serial connection. I forget what that type of connection is called. I'm getting old and forgetful..

Stan

Post Likes
    After getting the RS-485 adapter and connecting it to the Rnet, I was able to change the IP, subnet and gateway on the sitelinks. BUT, it appears as though they only have BACnet configured on them. No luck trying to talk to them MODBUS when I tried with the Schneider tool "tester" For a little while longer, I do have a sitescan 6.x system. Until the folks that are a pay grade or two above me decide to get rid of it. Not sure it will do me much good though. The way we used to have sitescan setup was using a single system that had multiple data center, which are spread across the country, all on one system. But, the old branch of the tree that had the sitelinks was pruned long ago and I can't find a backup I used to have before it got pruned Guess I'm up the creek unless sitebuilder or one of the other tools can retrieve the programming from the sitelinks and I'm able to add the MODBUS protocol. I guess webctrl is the only thing that will retrieve the programming from the sitelinks? Or is there a way to do it with sitebuilder or another tool?

Stan

Post Likes
    You might still have the files needed but yeah, bit of work setting it up in sitebuilder.

Post Likes
    Do a modest and you'll get the program name and device instance. Liebert's where pretty canned, so chances are someone here has it. Then recreate in Sitebuilder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast