Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Question What is work is essential for conversion to R-410A

The compressor in our existing R-22 unit has failed and we are going to replace it with a new R-410A unit. The service quote we've received includes the following work:

Install 2.0 Ton Goodman 14 Seer Straight Cool Condenser 410a condensing unit
    Unit pad
    Electrical disconnect
    Whip, drain pan
    Reconnect existing ducts and drain lines
    Insulate the main drain line in the attic
    Flush the copper refrigerant line set to make suitable for new conversion to R410A
    Install new programable thermostat

This seems like an excessive amount of work and elements we may not need to replace the A/C unit. For instance, our thermostat works perfectly and we do not want to change it. What else is included in this quote that may not be essential to the conversion of our system? We have recently experienced a significant financial setback and this expense is almost crippling to us.

I appreciate any insight you might provide.

Post Likes
    What about the air handler? Doesn’t say anything about replacing that.
    Is this a home warranty company?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    What about the air handler? Doesn’t say anything about replacing that.
    Is this a home warranty company?
    The quote didn't mention an air handler. Is replacing the air handler essential to upgrading the unit? (I'm sorry, I have no experience with HVAC issues.)

We are paying for the system upgrade from our own pocket through an independent HVAC contractor, though our home warranty is offering $700 towards the work, which is what they would have paid if we were to simply replace the condenser in the old R-22 unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabriolet View Post
    Install 2.0 Ton Goodman 14 Seer Straight Cool Condenser 410a condensing unit
    Unit pad
    Electrical disconnect
    Whip, drain pan
    Reconnect existing ducts and drain lines
    Insulate the main drain line in the attic
    Flush the copper refrigerant line set to make suitable for new conversion to R410A
    Install new programmable thermostat

This seems like an excessive amount of work and elements we may not need to replace the A/C unit. For instance, our thermostat works perfectly and we do not want to change it. What else is included in this quote that may not be essential to the conversion of our system? We have recently experienced a significant financial setback and this expense is almost crippling to us.

I appreciate any insight you might provide.
    Hey! can you post a picture of that drain pan under the condenser when the job is done?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

5. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The air handler may be rated to use both refrigerants, but the metering device must be changed to use one or the other. What’s the model number and age of the current air handler?
    Have no idea why they thermostat is being changed if the old one works properly.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Hey! can you post a picture of that drain pan under the condenser when the job is done?
    I suppose the drain pan sits on top of the concrete pad with the A/C compressor unit on top?

Post Likes
    No need to flush the line set. Does more harm then good.

Air handler or at least the coil should be replaced.

Post Likes
    Thermostat may be required to be programmable due to local code.

I would ask what is being done in the house. If a new coil is being installed or not.

Post Likes
    The air handler may be rated to use both refrigerants, but the metering device must be changed to use one or the other. What’s the model number and age of the current air handler?
    Have no idea why they thermostat is being changed if the old one works properly.
    Unfortunately I have no idea of the model number and age of the current air handler. I suspect it is original equipment installed when the house was built in 1993.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I have no idea of the model number and age of the current air handler. I suspect it is original equipment installed when the house was built in 1993.
    If it’s that old then the coil is likely not rated for duel use. You’ll have to question the contractor what’s being done to the air handler.
    But just leaving it be without touching it is not acceptable.

Post Likes
    I asked my contractor about the programmable thermostat he has listed and he just replied in a text that a programmable thermostat must be installed to pass code. I live in North Carolina (Orange County). Does anyone have knowledge of this?

Post Likes
    I asked my contractor about the programmable thermostat he has listed and he just replied in a text that a programmable thermostat must be installed to pass code. I live in North Carolina (Orange County). Does anyone have knowledge of this?
    Then he should be able to provide code reference.
    What did he say about the metering device in the air handler? Can he perform a leak test to verify current air handler evaporator coil is leak free?
    As far as the quote, everything else is standard practice except for thermostat, but as mentioned may be required to bring house up to code.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    If it’s that old then the coil is likely not rated for duel use. You’ll have to question the contractor what’s being done to the air handler.
    But just leaving it be without touching it is not acceptable.
    I've just sent the contractor a question about replacement of the air handler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast