Post Likes

TAB Opportunities Vs Pay

I have looked at TAB opportunities out of curiosity to see where salaries have gone since I retired. It is surprising to me the number of companies looking for a superman at an entry level salary. I won't mention the salaries but for the experience and job requirements wanted the proposed salaries are from 1/2 or maybe 2/3 of what in my opinion the person would be worth if capable of performing all the tasks with the expected quality and efficiency.
    Am I wrong or is TAB including the ability to troubleshoot under valued? A good TAB tech can balance difficult systems 4 to 5 times faster than the average tech. That should make his or her salary considerably higher than even a PE with 4 to 5 years experience.
    What do you guys think???
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    I googled nebb pay and what I saw from Glassdoor, zip recruiter, and a few others that’s scale maybe 10% over. I can’t believe their all that close, and all that low at the same time. With this model of employment it’s a good thing this can’t be outsourced to a third world country.

Judging from what I’ve read a individual can’t become certified without going through a certified contractor and apprentice so to speak. This brings the age old delema it doesn’t matter what licenses you acquire your employer feels responsible for your success therefore find it not necessary to recognize the individual. However are the first to be butt hurt when said individual leaves, butt also the first to hire outside the company paying higher wages than the in house employees.

I’ll take my meds now
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input crazy. You have some good points. The company does have to be NEBB certified and directly responsible to own and maintain all NEBB required test equipment. With an engineering degree it takes 2 years experience to qualify to take the certification test. Without a degree you have to have 10 years experience to qualify to take the test. Not all the companies advertising for TAB technicians list the requirements of the job but the ones that do are wanting a lot more than the average balancer can offer. A union balancer that can do all the things most companies want can get a job with pay above scale with all the benefits thrown in. Union journeyman base wages for the most part are higher than the entire package offered by a lot of companies.
    As far as a company being responsible for their employees work they are but companies always are. It is a lot easier to hide an inferior balance job than almost any sloppy install.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Just dug deeper into some of those sites and your correct the wage along with high cost of living makes you wonder how they higher anyone not alone keep them. I guess if you and your competitors pay the same “competitive wage “ no chance of loosing employees unless they move out of area. I believe it’s like you said until they can charge what is worth you get what you pay for.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Yeah I didn't make it very clear what I was driving at. I was actually talking about the highly skilled people that can do the troubleshooting, balancing and commissioning. The entry level positions are well paid in my opinion. It's the talented guy that isn't appreciated and the truth is they are rare.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Paying over scale is fairly common but it depends on the contractor. Some contractors feel they pay plenty especially Union. But others will pay over.

If, for example I pay a tech $2 over it's only $16 in an 8 hour day but when bennies are paid on top it can get pricey. That's aprox another 50% for a Union guy. There might be a way for the over scale pay could be paid as a bonus. I know of contractors that pay themselves a small amount each payday but give themselves a bonus each month.In some cases a bonus is not required to deduct FICA tax just IRS tax. I never looked into it but paying over might be more attractive w/o the contractor having to pay their half of FICA and all the bennies.
    Shorting yourself of the FICA can hurt down the road if the hours aren't logged.

One T&B company gave the 2 best techs a piece of the company. I was told a 10% share. That's one way if giving your company away works for you.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I agree Hvacker with your view on union scale. I had a union company and the problem I had was the talented TAB guys weren't there with the exception of one journeyman and he couldn't do water systems. I couldn't even get one sheet metal guy that could do water balance.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Wayne, an ongoing problem is many of the smw and the trades in general is not wanting to be techs. Contractors don't understand that a tech minded person is born that way and not made. How many times has a tradesman been put in a service dept and the company maybe gives some training (maybe) and just can't understand why the guy can't do the work. I've seen this mistake a lot.
    I've even told some managers that I could shoot hoops every night and would never be any good at it. Maybe better but never very good. Same with a tech head. It comes natural just as shooting hoops is to an athlete.
    I wonder what management would say if it was suggested that any tradesman could be management. Say what???

Contractors aren't attracting the right people for the tech end. I believe this contributes to guys in both T&B and service often not having the right stuff.
    If I had another company I could make an amazing dept. if I could hire from the ranks here at Hvac-Talk.
    Even for those few that can navigate both sides of the trades and the tech most might say they just like the trade end better.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    You got it Hvacker. If you could get even half the talent on this site you could probably solve most problems by remote viewing. That may be a little exaggerated but not much. I am amazed at times at how quick problems presented here are solved and there are some young problem solvers here.. You have a great idea and I wonder how many here would be interested.
    Thomas Jefferson