Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    I’ve honestly always heard and call it a “drip leg” I was told it is to collect the moisture in the gas hence “drip” and that is why we aren’t allowed to install them where they can freeze. I’d think horizontally the moisture would just drop down into it unless it was light enough for the gas to carry it on through the gas valve. I don’t see how as for sediment it needing to be on a vertical run for changing gas flow direction because wouldn’t the gas pressure just kick up the crap and carry it on through anyway? If it’s light enough for it to “ride” on the gas wouldn’t it go with the flow regardless of pipe run? To explain my thought, imagine a piece of paper and a traffic cone, blown horizontally the paper would fly over a man hole while the cone falls in and vertically the cone wouldn’t come back up but the paper most likely will get caught in the torrent and fly back out. My thinking could be flawed but I’m going to research more on the difference between drip leg vs sediment trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Can’t put them inline for quite a few years now and you have to have a Chang of direction and the drip leg be the lowest point of however you pipe it in.

Post Likes
    It seems more like a definition problem. A drip leg can be on a horizontal section, it’s to capture any moisture in the gas. A sediment trap is what’s being described above, and can serve both purposes. Many install manuals from back east (maybe they have moisture in gas) have a drip leg pictured, but call it a sediment trap. It was explained to me that gas can have moisture in it in cold climates. A single grain of sand sized piece of debris can ruin a gas valve. The sideways tee with supply into the top, 3” nipple with cap out the bottom, and appliance out the side will protect the gas valve in the appliance from any moisture or rust, dirt and debris. That’s how I was taught 20+ years ago, maybe I was taught wrong or it’s not common knowledge. But makes total sense to me.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

4. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    It seems more like a definition problem. A drip leg can be on a horizontal section, it’s to capture any moisture in the gas. A sediment trap is what’s being described above, and can serve both purposes. Many install manuals from back east (maybe they have moisture in gas) have a drip leg pictured, but call it a sediment trap. It was explained to me that gas can have moisture in it in cold climates. A single grain of sand sized piece of debris can ruin a gas valve. The sideways tee with supply into the top, 3” nipple with cap out the bottom, and appliance out the side will protect the gas valve in the appliance from any moisture or rust, dirt and debris. That’s how I was taught 20+ years ago, maybe I was taught wrong or it’s not common knowledge. But makes total sense to me.
    My "Modified Like Button" >>
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

7. Likes shavedneon liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123