I’ve honestly always heard and call it a “drip leg” I was told it is to collect the moisture in the gas hence “drip” and that is why we aren’t allowed to install them where they can freeze. I’d think horizontally the moisture would just drop down into it unless it was light enough for the gas to carry it on through the gas valve. I don’t see how as for sediment it needing to be on a vertical run for changing gas flow direction because wouldn’t the gas pressure just kick up the crap and carry it on through anyway? If it’s light enough for it to “ride” on the gas wouldn’t it go with the flow regardless of pipe run? To explain my thought, imagine a piece of paper and a traffic cone, blown horizontally the paper would fly over a man hole while the cone falls in and vertically the cone wouldn’t come back up but the paper most likely will get caught in the torrent and fly back out. My thinking could be flawed but I’m going to research more on the difference between drip leg vs sediment trap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk