Post Likes

Trane XV20i vs Carrier Infinity 20

I know this question comes up a lot but I am building a new house and looking at the Trane XV20i and the Carrier Infinity 20. Assuming the installation would be correct for either unit, what is the best unit to go with or are they about the same? Is there any added pros/cons that would lean you toward one unit or the other? Is the humidity control fairly equal between the two?

Post Likes
    Go with the train xl18, still full variable speed, slightly less Seer but less money.

Post Likes
    I put Trane XV18 in my own house with zoning and it works great at controlling humidity. Yes the XV18 is cheaper than XV 20i but the efficiency different is too close to worry about.

Post Likes
    I would to the XV 20i myself mainly because of the top. In my area we get periods of freezing precip. If the unit is not running ice build up on the blades and then they are out of balance until the ice comes off. It also helps keeping leaves and stuff from falling inside. You would have to decide if you think there would be enough of that type of issue where you live to make it worth the extra money.

Post Likes
    I'd only get either with the matching zoning. Especially important with a basement furnace if you are trying to push air to a 2nd floor. When the variable speed compressor & indoor blower slow down, you'll have trouble getting air upstairs and could end up with a warm 2nd floor in the summer. Not as big of an issue in heating where the warm air naturally rises.

Pick the best dealer and make sure it is sized properly. Too many oversize, especially if the house is extra insulated as many new homes are, foam etc.