Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Bigger the Glob, Better the Job"

Post Likes
    And I wasn't trying to out-do the rubbish job you posted. <g>

I was just offering up an example of how to do it. I actually did that repair for a local guy who said that he had never seen it down. And it occurred to me that maybe some people here haven't seen it done.

PHM
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    YES, and "I DID NOT DO THIS MESS", So I Can't Answer That Question !Just Plucked it off the Net "FOR FUN", and now Mikey is trying to out do it. LMAO !!!
    Hell's Fire, a Drunken Blind Man could out do this Shit .....
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    And you sir; are my new hero.

How did you manage that feat?

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    PHM
    --------

3. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I really thought that people here would question/judge that roof install of mine. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    And you sir; are my new hero.

How did you manage that feat?

PHM
    ----------
    Copied the picture and uploaded it to imgur.com which has edit capabilities. It also has fast ways to C&P to forums, bb’s, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I really thought that people here would question/judge that roof install of mine. <g>
    Only things to improve would be to paint the platform, and get a “more professional” block for the lineset. The construction of the platform is superb.

Post Likes
    I've had fair luck pounding the casing holes back and brazing over where it rubbed thru.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How could you put you filter drier outside!!? lol that wooden stand and the 2x4 underneath the lineset are all things I wouldn't of done or done differently, but that's just me

Post Likes
    The biggest problem I see with it is that in a few years when the shingles need replaced it will have have to come down. Most shinglers I know would throw it off the roof with the old shingles cause they don't want to deal with working around, under, or moving it several times.

Post Likes
    I still haven't attempted welding the tubesheet right to the copper but summer is coming.

Post Likes
    I was waiting for someone to nail you for using all of that pressure treated lumber.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I have soldered coils on many different occasions but gave it up when I started seeing you fix holes A,B, & C, then come back next year and fix D,E,F, & G. It just doesn't seem to be a permanent enough fix to be cost worthy, of course they were all on evaps.

13. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Originally I didn't know that things were impossible. And I didn't know that you could just say that you weren't going to do something.

Early on my mew boss sent me out to a job to change filters, check belts and bearings, and so forth. He reminded me frequently that the whole point of a PM Program was to sell the customer additional work. So on one unit I saw an oil stain on a condenser coil - in the middle of the coil - and checked it with soap: bubbles.

Later I ran into the building manager downstairs and told him about the leak - would he approve the repair? (I'm selling some additional work, right? <g>)

Sure; just put it on the ticket and I'll sign it before you leave.

So transfer the refrigerant to two other units - until they go off on high pressure - and then blow out the remainder of the charge. I gingerly cut into the coil to expose the tube. Which I end up smashing up a bit. So I used four 90º ells and some little pieces of copper tubing to replace that maybe 4-5" area of condenser tube I had ham-handed. It stuck out the side of the coil, past the fins, which looked a little weird, but it didn't leak.

I didn't have new driers but I ran a vacuum pump for an hour and then charged in gas from the other units. And then topped it off from a cylinder. By the end of the day I had all the other units PM'ed, the leak fixed, and the three involved units running again.

It wan't until later that I learned that one of my co-workers had previously found that leak and then my boss had pronounced it unrepairable and had sold the customer a new condenser for $20,000. or something. It had been found at spring start-up but the customer didn't want the unit down for a long time so the coil replacement was scheduled for the fall/winter. The real mechanics at my company was just adding refrigerant all the time to keep it cooling until then.

The building manager (who knew the whole story already when I asked him if he would approve the repair) was very happy - but my boss was not happy at all. <g>

That building manager later became the facilities manager for a large national corporation some years later and called me at my house to ask who I worked for now. I told him: myself, and he ended up giving me lots and Lots of work for a number years and never once questioned a proposal or an invoice.

He would tell the story of how we met at every opportunity. <g>
    PHM
    --------

15. Likes Fender60, Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    In NJ I would have built the platform out of 2" aluminum angle and SS bolts. But here I don't have ready access to stuff like that.

I would have preferred that the exposed portion of the lineset be shorter but the I didn't want that huge condenser visible from the front street and the attic space directly under the unit is essentially zero.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by coharra88 View Post
    How could you put you filter drier outside!!? lol that wooden stand and the 2x4 underneath the lineset are all things I wouldn't of done or done differently, but that's just me
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    The only roofer who's work I am willing to accept is me. <g> And I only install metal - never shingles.

But that roof is scheduled to have all the shingles coated with white latex roof coating here pretty soon - so the the shingles will never get replaced - if that experiment continues to succeed. <g>

PHM
    ----------------

t
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    The biggest problem I see with it is that in a few years when the shingles need replaced it will have have to come down. Most shinglers I know would throw it off the roof with the old shingles cause they don't want to deal with working around, under, or moving it several times.
    PHM
    --------

18. Likes Fender60 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have never once been able to make that work. Have you had good luck with doing it?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I still haven't attempted welding the tubesheet right to the copper but summer is coming.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    A part of my thinking was that I built a deck in Florida at least ten years ago and just pressure washed and coated it. It still looks nice. And just recently I re-covered an ugly neglected deck that was about 25 years old. I was too lazy to tear it out - so I just 're-faced' it on the sides and top with new PT lumber. <g>

Which is where the scraps to build this roof platform came from. <g>

So the PT deck-wood platform will probably last as long as the condensing unit. Which is probably 10-15 years old already and has a 20+ year old compressor in it besides. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Originally I didn't know that things were impossible. And I didn't know that you could just say that you weren't going to do something.

Early on my mew boss sent me out to a job to change filters, check belts and bearings, and so forth. He reminded me frequently that the whole point of a PM Program was to sell the customer additional work. So on one unit I saw an oil stain on a condenser coil - in the middle of the coil - and checked it with soap: bubbles.

Later I ran into the building manager downstairs and told him about the leak - would he approve the repair? (I'm selling some additional work, right? <g>)

Sure; just put it on the ticket and I'll sign it before you leave.

So transfer the refrigerant to two other units - until they go off on high pressure - and then blow out the remainder of the charge. I gingerly cut into the coil to expose the tube. Which I end up smashing up a bit. So I used four 90º ells and some little pieces of copper tubing to replace that maybe 4-5" area of condenser tube I had ham-handed. It stuck out the side of the coil, past the fins, which looked a little weird, but it didn't leak.

I didn't have new driers but I ran a vacuum pump for an hour and then charged in gas from the other units. And then topped it off from a cylinder. By the end of the day I had all the other units PM'ed, the leak fixed, and the three involved units running again.

It wan't until later that I learned that one of my co-workers had previously found that leak and then my boss had pronounced it unrepairable and had sold the customer a new condenser for $20,000. or something. It had been found at spring start-up but the customer didn't want the unit down for a long time so the coil replacement was scheduled for the fall/winter. The real mechanics at my company was just adding refrigerant all the time to keep it cooling until then.

The building manager (who knew the whole story already when I asked him if he would approve the repair) was very happy - but my boss was not happy at all. <g>

That building manager later became the facilities manager for a large national corporation some years later and called me at my house to ask who I worked for now. I told him: myself, and he ended up giving me lots and Lots of work for a number years and never once questioned a proposal or an invoice.

He would tell the story of how we met at every opportunity. <g>
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I can't think of how to prevent the tube sheet from corroding under the braze.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Like this?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Like this?

How long has that been holding up now?
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast