Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    did you ever fix that micron guage I handed to you at RSES Conference in round Rock? just curious,
    I finally got around to that last weekend, it works ok, but reads about 20 microns higher than other gauges I have. Not that 20 microns matters in the grand scheme of things.

I'm curious if the length of the leads between the board and vacuum sensor makes a difference.
    Since they were twisted around each other tightly, until the point that they broke, I soldered new wires onto the board, and to the short stub of the leads left sticking out of the sensor, so the new wire leads are about 50% longer than the originals, and stranded copper.
    I may redo it with some solid tin plated copper wire to replicate the original lead material and length.

On another note, Navac should revisit how the sensor is retained in the plastic housing...

Post Likes
    Not to get off topic but..

I asked Appion last year about the possibility of a battery powered vacuum pump and they responded that it would never be worth the time, or money, to produce such a product. It would never be a feasible option and that techs wouldn't want such item that would have a limit run time. OOPS..

I find it somewhat amusing that Navac’s 2cfm battery powered pump appears to be a pretty solid success so far. It's performance appears to be excellent with the proper evacuation hoses. I believe if Navac added an optional AC power supply, as Milwaukee does with some of their work lights, they might attract more customers that have fears about possible battery life issues.

I hope Appion is working hard at engineering some new/updated products. I asked if they would update the ION PT gauges to include Bluetooth 5.0 and SH/SC readings to the gauges display so the app would not be a necessary. They previously told me they had no real reasons to update the ION PT’s which saddened me because I really like to get a set....i still might if the price is right. They are built solid but I hate to be reliant on a smartphone app for real time superhero/Subcooling readings.

Perhaps Appion has some ground breaking products in the pipe line because it seems their products don't have a great cost to benefit ratio any more. I'm in no way saying their product are bad, or poorly made, but the lack of improvements/updates seems to be catching up with them. You need to continually evolve and adapt to stay in the game just as all tech need to continue to learn and adapt to Be able to work on new equipment.

Sorry for ranting off topic. Cheers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I finally got around to that last weekend, it works ok, but reads about 20 microns higher than other gauges I have. Not that 20 microns matters in the grand scheme of things.

I'm curious if the length of the leads between the board and vacuum sensor makes a difference.
    Since they were twisted around each other tightly, until the point that they broke, I soldered new wires onto the board, and to the short stub of the leads left sticking out of the sensor, so the new wire leads are about 50% longer than the originals, and stranded copper.
    I may redo it with some solid tin plated copper wire to replicate the original lead material and length.

On another note, Navac should revisit how the sensor is retained in the plastic housing...
    Nice. Maybe the resistance of the wire affects the reading?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post

I asked Appion last year about the possibility of a battery powered vacuum pump and they responded that it would never be worth the time, or money, to produce such a product. It would never be a feasible option and that techs wouldn't want such item that would have a limit run time. OOPS..

I find it somewhat amusing that Navac’s 2cfm battery powered pump appears to be a pretty solid success so far. It's performance appears to be excellent with the proper evacuation hoses. I believe if Navac added an optional AC power supply, as Milwaukee does with some of their work lights, they might attract more customers that have fears about possible battery life issues.

I hope Appion is working hard at engineering some new/updated products. I asked if they would update the ION PT gauges to include Bluetooth 5.0 and SH/SC readings to the gauges display so the app would not be a necessary. They previously told me they had no real reasons to update the ION PT’s which saddened me because I really like to get a set....i still might if the price is right. They are built solid but I hate to be reliant on a smartphone app for real time superhero/Subcooling readings.

Perhaps Appion has some ground breaking products in the pipe line because it seems their products don't have a great cost to benefit ratio any more. I'm in no way saying their product are bad, or poorly made, but the lack of improvements/updates seems to be catching up with them. You need to continually evolve and adapt to stay in the game just as all tech need to continue to learn and adapt to Be able to work on new equipment.

Does the Navac vacuum pump have removable batteries? If so get an extra

Post Likes
    I asked if they would update the ION PT gauges to include Bluetooth 5.0 and SH/SC readings to the gauges display so the app would not be a necessary. They previously told me they had no real reasons to update the ION PT’s which saddened me because I really like to get a set....i still might if the price is right. They are built solid but I hate to be reliant on a smartphone app for real time superhero/Subcooling readings.
    Part of the issue with something like that is that the display, electronics to drive it, electronics to do the calculations on board, and extra housing size, cost several times more than just having a sensor, electronics to read it, and a Bluetooth radio to broadcast the reading.

I realize everyone isn't the same, but for me personally, part of the appeal of wireless probes was being able to screw them on to ports located behind panels that need to be closed when the unit is operating, or that are in awkward positions, etc., and get readings from a comfortable position, hopefully while doing electrical checks, etc..

A lot of us, possibly the majority, don't care for a display on the probe because we wouldn't use it, so are not willing to pay the extra cost of it.
    The wired temperature sensors are also a no go for many.

IMO, the market for probes that have both a display and are Bluetooth is already limited, adding cost by having it do any calculations would further limit the market.
    Your talking about something that is basically 2/3 of the way to being a digital manifold.

Post Likes

Something like this but with a accurate temperature clamp Name:  PhotoPictureResizer_190426_125210590-600x1067.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  121.3 KB
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Something like this but with a accurate temperature clamp Name:  PhotoPictureResizer_190426_125210590-600x1067.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  121.3 KB
    Thanks for the pic. Was telling a friend about them and you using them. By chance have you ever done a side by side comparison of accuracy with your other digitals?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by greg58 View Post
    Thanks for the pic. Was telling a friend about them and you using them. By chance have you ever done a side by side comparison of accuracy with your other digitals?
    The temp clamps are crap. I don't use them. Pressures are good. PT doesn't always jive with danfoss app but close enough for how cool it is to have all that in a tight package. I use it with my Cooper wireless clamp and do the math. Would be sweet if I could figure a way to get the clamps to work.

Post Likes
    What's the price on the refco?
    I have the manifold and it's great. But not updatable as new refrigerants come out

Post Likes
    The stubby is 140
    I never heard any good things about the manifold. The stubbies are updatable but I never had to do it.
    I bought the kit with two gauges and two clamps. Don't bother with the clamps. The short coupler with shraider depressor is great imo. That would be a separate part if you don't get the kit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Something like this but with a accurate temperature clamp
    Has Refco figured out that we need the pressure reading to update at increments smaller than 1.45 psi(0.1 bar), and the temperature at increments smaller than 1.8ºF(1ºC), or that temperature calibration needs to be possible without the entire instrument and probe being located inside an environmental chamber?

The only good things about the Digimon4 they sent me to test a few years ago was the quality of the manifold portion and how well the remote sensor micron gauge portion works.
    Not that actually managing to calibrate the thermocouples would help a lot, since the circuit board didn't appear to have any provision for cold junction temperature compensation...

So far Refco has missed the mark on every one of their digital refrigerant gauge instruments.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Has Refco figured out that we need the pressure reading to update at increments smaller than 1.45 psi(0.1 bar), and the temperature at increments smaller than 1.8ºF(1ºC), or that temperature calibration needs to be possible without the entire instrument and probe being located inside an environmental chamber?

The only good things about the Digimon4 they sent me to test a few years ago was the quality of the manifold portion and how well the remote sensor micron gauge portion works.
    Not that actually managing to calibrate the thermocouples would help a lot, since the circuit board didn't appear to have any provision for cold junction temperature compensation...

So far Refco has missed the mark on every one of their digital refrigerant gauge instruments.
    Yes cold junction issues with the clamps. Otherwise the units are actually good believe it or not. I called them on the clamps. The one guy who knew his stuff is gone. It's a younger guy now. Not sure there was interest in making the clamps right. I'm hanging on to the clamps hoping someone can move the wireless to another clamp like a Fieldpiece or fix the thermocouple issues for me. One thing I'd like to see is being able to control the menu from the app. I believe the JB stubbies can work like this for ref. selection. If those clamps worked it would be hard to beat.

Post Likes
    Psi and °F are in tenths and update quick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast