Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    JB has a digital stubby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Psi and °F are in tenths and update quick
    Good to know, the Digimon 4 they sent me has a display resolution in the tenths, but only actually ticks over in 1.45 psi and 1.8ºF increments. Not sure if that was fixed, but between that and the lack of cold junction compensation, the instrument was useless to me.
    Between that, the absolute horror that was the first generation Digimon, and my experience with the housing on the RL-8 vacuum pump, I got kind of turned off to anything Refco that is electronic, or comes with a motor in a plastic case.
    I was supposed to do reviews on the stuff they sent me a few years ago, but I kinda fell off the map for a while. I'm not sure they would be happy with the things I had to say anyway...

I want to like Refco, they do make some amazingly high quality tools, analogue gauges and manifolds for them, but there have been a series of duds when it comes to their digital stuff.

Post Likes
    How does one go about getting on a list for free tools to try, and then never review?

I would be great at that.

Post Likes
    Something like this but with a accurate temperature clamp Attachment 808539
    Yes, something similar, but way more reliable, and absolutely bullet proof...like the ION PT Gauges with the all readings/calculations displayed on each corresponding gauge! LOL

I do like the fact IONs are more like digital manifold gauges rather than smart probes. I'm wanting a alternative to replace AK900s in the future.

Full disclosure, I have hoarded 4 new sets of ak900s I acquired after I discovered Digicool stopped production of them . I knew their was no other alternatives with the build quality/durability. I'm glad I did buy them because if seen used AK900s going for $600 on eBay!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    I'm glad I did buy them because if seen used AK900s going for $600 on eBay!
    I'm assuming those are asking prices and not what they actually sell for!
    If not, I wonder how much they are worth when modified to work with Cooper probes, but are still able to use the original probes?

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Yes, something similar, but way more reliable, and absolutely bullet proof...like the ION PT Gauges with the all readings/calculations displayed on each corresponding gauge! LOL

I do like the fact IONs are more like digital manifold gauges rather than smart probes. I'm wanting a alternative to replace AK900s in the future.

Full disclosure, I have hoarded 4 new sets of ak900s I acquired after I discovered Digicool stopped production of them . I knew their was no other alternatives with the build quality/durability. I'm glad I did buy them because if seen used AK900s going for $600 on eBay!
    Saw hvacskills broke his ion gauges so can't be bullet proof and they are big. Not really interested in a upgraded version of these in the same bulky case.

Post Likes

Navac 8 CFM vs Fieldpiecd VP85 Vacuum Pump

Saw hvacskills broke his ion gauges so can't be bullet proof and they are big. Not really interested in a upgraded version of these in the same bulky case.
    I think he had his mounted to a manifold. I could easily see that breaking something. The same would happen to the refco’s. But youd be out less money.

If the refco had the clamps that the Ions do, Id switch to that.

Appion took care of mine when the one screen went out past the warranty date. They’re fairly durable, but they are definitely not bullet proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    JB has a digital stubby?

Yes. It looks like mantooth but has a tiny screen. I believe you could control the gauge from the app.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Not to get off topic but..

I asked Appion last year about the possibility of a battery powered vacuum pump and they responded that it would never be worth the time, or money, to produce such a product. It would never be a feasible option and that techs wouldn't want such item that would have a limit run time. OOPS..

I find it somewhat amusing that Navac’s 2cfm battery powered pump appears to be a pretty solid success so far. It's performance appears to be excellent with the proper evacuation hoses. I believe if Navac added an optional AC power supply, as Milwaukee does with some of their work lights, they might attract more customers that have fears about possible battery life issues.

I hope Appion is working hard at engineering some new/updated products. I asked if they would update the ION PT gauges to include Bluetooth 5.0 and SH/SC readings to the gauges display so the app would not be a necessary. They previously told me they had no real reasons to update the ION PT’s which saddened me because I really like to get a set....i still might if the price is right. They are built solid but I hate to be reliant on a smartphone app for real time superhero/Subcooling readings.

Perhaps Appion has some ground breaking products in the pipe line because it seems their products don't have a great cost to benefit ratio any more. I'm in no way saying their product are bad, or poorly made, but the lack of improvements/updates seems to be catching up with them. You need to continually evolve and adapt to stay in the game just as all tech need to continue to learn and adapt to Be able to work on new equipment.

Sorry for ranting off topic. Cheers
    You've some really good points here about Appion. We all need to keep moving forward.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Fieldpiece,all the way!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123