Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

DI water use in chiller

I am looking for the downside effects of using DI water in a open tank chiller.

Is their any?

Post Likes
    Is it straight water in this open tank chiller, or is there glycol and/or other chemicals mixed in? I would think if there is glycol or other chemicals in there then the distilled water would be a good thing.

If it's just water, theoretically the distilled water might cause issues with rusting/corroding faster than tap or other water with minerals in it would.

What is the application/what type of chiller is this? I think the only open type chillers I have ever seen (besides drinking fountains) were for keeping beer lines cold. Is this a small system like that, or is it a large chiller used to cool down a building?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Is it straight water in this open tank chiller, or is there glycol and/or other chemicals mixed in? I would think if there is glycol or other chemicals in there then the distilled water would be a good thing.

If it's just water, theoretically the distilled water might cause issues with rusting/corroding faster than tap or other water with minerals in it would.

What is the application/what type of chiller is this? I think the only open type chillers I have ever seen (besides drinking fountains) were for keeping beer lines cold. Is this a small system like that, or is it a large chiller used to cool down a building?
    No Glycol, just DI water, DI water is Deionized. Distilled isn't the same.

Post Likes
    What level of DI water is it. A manufacturing plant in KC was dumping DI 10 waste water into the sewer. It ate the sewer pipe. That was years ago and I had to design the neutralization system. You need to find out what grade of DI water you have and then find out how active it is in the system you have. One thing I do remember is that stagnant DI water goes septic pretty quick. Wish I could help more but it's been too many years.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    No Glycol, just DI water, DI water is Deionized. Distilled isn't the same.
    You got me curious, so I looked up the difference between deionized and distilled water. From stuff that I just read I learned that DI water is very corrosive and can eat through pretty much any metal including copper and stainless much easier than "normal" water can, so I guess that might be a downside.

I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but if that's all you have available maybe you could "re-ionize" it somehow to make it less corrosive. I'm thinking maybe mix in some tap water or a pinch of salt or something?

Could you explain what type of chiller this is and/or why you need to use DI water? I'm just curious more than anything. There's a guy that pops in here from time to time called SLCtech that works on top secret government process stuff. I'd bet he could add some insight if we could summon him somehow.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Even DI 5 piping is stainless steel, PVC or FRP. I know that because I designed 2 or 3 of these systems but like I said that was years back.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Chiller is being used to cool a Cyclotron. Their engineer says it can only have DI cooling water pumped through it.

Post Likes
    What size is this setup? Maybe use a brazed plate heat exchanger? Sure it's another pump but it would eliminate any issues with the chiller
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    What size is this setup? Maybe use a brazed plate heat exchanger? Sure it's another pump but it would eliminate any issues with the chiller
    It has (3) brazed plates, but it also has copper and brass in the system, so the DI will cause corrosion. They even went to the extreme of installing a EC transmitter in the loop which will open a solenoid to a deionizer, which will assure the water is pure.

Post Likes
    Apparently they want the DI water because its non or low conductive. They feed some water cooled RF amps with the DI water.

But I believe that someone manufactures a non or low conductive glycol.

I've read that the DI is very hungry, and will even attack PVC.
    Last edited by jimp; 04-21-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Post Likes
    DI water.

Post Likes
    What will prevent the DI water from corroding everything it touches? Is the chiller built to withstand DI water?

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    I am looking for the downside effects of using DI water in a open tank chiller.

Is their any?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What will prevent the DI water from corroding everything it touches? Is the chiller built to withstand DI water?

PHM
    ---------
    From my research, DI will eat the copper. Their is copper in the system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast